« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Buying advice required
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Should_I_Or_Shouldnt_I

United Kingdom 
Buying advice required

Hi guys, I'm I prospective Land rover owner and am after some collective wisdom from you experts.

I'm looking to get the Mrs a new car that will double up as a holiday wagon for our family. In the winter we'll drive it to the alps for a ski trip and in the summer for UK based staycations.

I have pointed her towards volvo xc60, bmw x3, mazda cx5 and even the suzuki vitara but she saw a freelander 2 and fell in love with it, she still wants one even though I told her they're as reliable as a drug crazed psychopath.

We have a modest budget of around 10k, am I out of my mind for considering a freelander? I know they need a shed load of work at 10 years, can anyone point me towards the kind of car to look for (is an older 10 yo car under budget better leaving cash for a big service straight away or am I better going for the newest in my budget?).

Also, what kind of things should I be aware of when looking at cars?

Many thanks in advance

Al

Post #358896 17th Oct 2018 11:04 pm
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

The FL2 is as reliable as most other cars. The problem is, as with all Land Rovers, that they are very complicated with lots of bits to go wrong as they age, although I have been running a FL2 for over 6 years and have not had any serious problems.

The SD4 auto is the best and proper luxury LR experience, and as above the post 2013 models have updated systems.

Just make sure that you go for the latest model you can afford, with a good service history, from a reliable dealer, and most importantly a good warranty. Don't be affraid to search countrywide as most proper dealers will deliver.
Having said this, you may want a Land Rover warranty which can be honoured any where.

Common Question
http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic32489.html FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 76k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #358897 17th Oct 2018 11:10 pm
RogB

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

All as Ian said above. FL2 is a great all round car and particularly great for a family with what your planning on using it for.
Don't be put off with the auto box if your other half is manual fan, it really does suit the car best in TD4 and especially SD4 spec. Drive a few to get a feel for whats right and don't be afraid to post your questions or observations on here. Lots of helpful characters haunt these pages Laughing

A word about the other choices you have listed...
Ive had a CX5 - nice car, good specs, all are Euro6 engines but by god is it dull to drive, and the stereo are made by Sanyo straight out of the 1980's parts bin. The 2WD is surprisingly capable in the snow as I found out this year and the AWD isn't worth paying the extra for. But they can be picked up for a nice price on a newish plate.

A friend owns a high miler 63 plate XC60, hes had brand new FL2 and RRS and absolutely loves the Volvo in D5 RDynamic spec. Plus they can be had fairly new for your budget.

The X3 from what I understand Is another brilliant car and very capable, but most people I know who have owned one have had problems with lack of grip from the AWD system in the snow. Other (on this forum included) sing their praises as an AWD. But they do hold their value so for £10k you will be looking at older or high mileage offerings.

hope that all helps and happy hunting

Post #358903 18th Oct 2018 7:39 am
Suckfish

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

1 tip I use when buy a used car is to check the MOT history.
If you type the reg into the website it shows the MOT history, advisory and failures.

https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/?_ga=...1536742784

As we all know, often folks sell the car after the MOT after being told by the garage the car will need a load of work, Brakes/ suspension, emissions etc.
This way you can see the advisory comments- and generally the advisories in one year turn into a failure in the next MOT.
The check can also work in your advantage - EG- if the past advisory comments needing pads changed and next MOT the advisory is not there then assume its been changed.

With regards to the big 10year/100,000 service its expensive - I paid £850 this year for mine. So build this into the price.
If its been done - check - and make sure the Gearbox and heldex system has had an oil change. If not then its not had the big service - and the comment 'Full Service History' is not true.

The tires ideally need to be the same spec/make model on each axle- if not then this can damage the diff, so don't just check the tread also the make. Same again these are pricey, so if they are low on tread that £60-£80 a tire.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by Suckfish on 18th Oct 2018 9:06 am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #358904 18th Oct 2018 8:19 am
Should_I_Or_Shouldnt_I

United Kingdom 

Thanks guys, some good advice and food for thought.

Post #358907 18th Oct 2018 8:52 am
Suckfish

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

Another thing to consider is the model.
I brought the GS 150BHP, After a while I felt the car was underpowered, so with a few mods the car is now pushing 180.
If I could turn back the clock I would have gone for the 190BHP model and an auto.

Post #358914 18th Oct 2018 10:16 am
Bobupndown

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Orkney Grey

The 190bhp auto Sd4 is a lovely car to drive and a fantastic tow car. Not the best fuel consumption mind you but it is a 2 ton boxy 4x4. Landrover - turning owners into mechanics since 1948

2014 Orkney grey Freelander SD4 GS.
2004 Zambezi silver Discovery 2 Td5 (Gone)
1963 Surf blue Morris Mini Minor Super de Luxe (my little toy)

Post #358930 18th Oct 2018 5:19 pm
Should_I_Or_Shouldnt_I

United Kingdom 

@suckfish Cheers, I especially like the tip about the MOT site - that is really useful I will definitely use that! Thumbs Up

re the power, I think 150bhp is fine, the Mrs drives an asthmatic Zafira ATM, and last year we drove to the alps in a borrowed Disco 2 TD4 that I guess is slower than a 150bhp freelander, and that was perfect for the job.

Only thing that has me a little concerned is that a lot of people seem to say that I should be looking at 2013 models onward but I won't get one of those for 10K Sad

So I think i'm looking at more 'used' freelanders, prob 2010/11 with close to 100K on the clock? Which I why I was asking what kind of stuff I need to look for as I've got a pretty good chance of buying a lemon if i'm not careful.

Post #358938 18th Oct 2018 6:53 pm
Jack frost

United Kingdom 

There was a really nice GS for sale on this site not long ago around £10k do a search.

Post #358939 18th Oct 2018 7:02 pm
Should_I_Or_Shouldnt_I

United Kingdom 

You're right @jackfrost that does look like a nice motor but the add is over a month old, expect I've missed that one. However, it does prove I might be able to find something reasonable in my price range.

Al

Post #358949 18th Oct 2018 8:05 pm
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red

A unknown to you 10 year old 4WD type vehicle for trips to the Alps in Winter. Staycations Whistle

I would suggest you get a Octavia Scout as many Alpinsists I come across own them. FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #358958 18th Oct 2018 9:05 pm
Should_I_Or_Shouldnt_I

United Kingdom 

I am inclined to agree with you @yorkybob but the Mrs likes the high up aspect of 4x4s and crossovers. I did sit her in a couple of estate cars but she didn't like being so low down Rolling Eyes

So my mission, is to find something that suits both her and will meet the general family needs.

Al

Post #359035 19th Oct 2018 6:01 pm
Mowog

Skoda yeti?

Post #359040 19th Oct 2018 6:35 pm
Should_I_Or_Shouldnt_I

United Kingdom 

Yeti is too small really, needs to take 4 people plus skis, ski boots and all the clobber for a weeks holiday. Plus the ability to chuck a couple of kids push bikes in the back every now and then.

Cheers Al

Post #359044 19th Oct 2018 7:53 pm
MartynB

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Zermatt Silver

The weak point of the Fl2 IMHO is its luggage carrying capacity . IMHO the boot is neither wide enough or long enough .For the size of the vehicle the usable space is pretty woeful. If you’ve not already had a good look at how much you can get in the boot when you are 4 or 5 up , do it now before you part with your cash . Apart from that It really is a good little vehicle off the beaten track , and like the comments above I’d recommend an auto every time. 2009 GS Auto Zermatt Silver - Sold June 21 after 10 years of ownership

2016 Subaru Outback SE 2.0 diesel SE Premium Lineartronic Sold 2024 after 8 years and 80k miles . Best Car I ever owned !

2023 Toyota Hilux invincible X 2.8 Auto .

Post #359047 19th Oct 2018 8:34 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>