Print this entire topic · 
I Like Chips

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Indus Silver

Hi Nodge
I have looked but can't find the 5W-40 in C1

Post #431544 7th Apr 2023 7:03 pm
Nodge68

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Rimini Red

I used this last oil change. Mine isn't DPF equipped, but this is still a mid SAPS oil, which has a 15% better load rating than the minimum allowed for a C1 oil.

https://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-206062-castro...e-oil.aspx

Also keep in mind that most garages simply buy the cheapest bulk oil they can find, and put it in everything that comes in for an oil change. When I worked in a franchise dealer, the oil was supplied by Elf, but we used just 1 drum at a time, hooked up to the oil pump system. From memory it was API SJ 10w40, but it was over 20 years ago now, so oil spec's have changed a bit.

Personally I always prefer a heavier oil which gives better mechanical protection, over a lighter oil which gives improved efficiency. 2009 Rimini Red SE TD4. Soon to be sold.
Hyundai Ionic 5 Ultimate on order.
Gone. 2006 Tonga Green i6 HSE.

Post #431564 8th Apr 2023 5:29 pm
I Like Chips

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Indus Silver

Years ago I used to buy the engine oil for whatever car I had in 25ltrs, always used a standard fleet type but from a good known make.

With the coming of the Turbo, DPF, EGR I had to update the oil standards.

Fings aint what they used to be

Post #431566 8th Apr 2023 5:40 pm
Nodge68

An engine is an engine for the most part.
Vehicle manufacturers like to make vehicles look economical to run, so will use a thinner oil which has lower windage losses.
However as the manufacturers only give a relatively short warranty, they don't care if the engine fails later on in the vehicle's life.
Items like CATs and DPFs require an oil which has a reduced ash content when burnt, which is where low SAPS oils come in. However a slightly thicker oil with a medium SAPS rating shouldn't harm a CAT or DPF, and offer much better protection for the mechanical components in the engine.

Some engines are more prone to a particular wear issue, the VW PD was particularly susceptible to catastrophic cam follower wear if the correct oil wasn't used.
The D3/4 engine suffers bearing or crank failure, simply because the oil system is marginal at best, made worse by using a thin engine oil.
The oil should protect the engine, not cause it to fail early.

So I always use an oil which will provide better protection than the manufacturer says to use. 2009 Rimini Red SE TD4. Soon to be sold.

Post #431574 8th Apr 2023 9:32 pm
Lucx

Italy 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

The c1 standard has been replaced by the c4 standard, you just need to find a 5w40 c4 or low saps. Personally, examining my problem, I can deduce that it was a low quality material problem, a good oil can help but it does not solve the material quality problem

Post #431584 9th Apr 2023 1:02 pm
Nodge68

I'd agree, the valve stems used in these engines are particularly soft. They are easily dressed with a file, which proves they are very soft.
In years gone by, valve stems needed abrasion to flattern them off, as a file would simply skate over them.

An oil with a higher load capacity will help, but won't fully overcome a poor quality material choice. 2009 Rimini Red SE TD4. Soon to be sold.

Post #431585 9th Apr 2023 1:58 pm
hdlo

Norway 

Nodge68 wrote:
All the DW12 engines use the same grade of oil, which is a 5w30 fully synthetic.
The only difference for a DPF engine is the oil needs to be a low ash formulation, so as to not soot up the DPF. The DPF engine still uses a 5w30 grade though.

You seem to infer that those oils must be of similiar qualities. But do they? Some 30 weight oil are thinner than other 30 weight oil, and you must read the data of each oil to know. They also differ in the additives that are added for anti-wear protection. DPF oil spec for the Freelander 2 TD4 is today WSS-M2C 934-B which also meets ACEA C1. C1 is a low SAPS (The “SA” is Sulphated Ash, “P” is for Phosphorus and “S” is for Sulphur) oil and it and demand HTHS viscosity of >2,9. If you were to use a 5W30 ACEA C3 (which is mid SAPS) you should get more wear protection as it has HTHS viscosity of >3,5.

Post #435195 25th Aug 2023 12:51 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 5 of 5 <12345