Home > Technical > DTCs U0126-00, B100A-15, B10EA-14, U0415-94, p0683-24
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
landy999

United Kingdom 
DTCs U0126-00, B100A-15, B10EA-14, U0415-94, p0683-24

Hi

This post is for reference only in case anybody else has this cluser of fault codes

So far I have cleared the following codes:
U0126-00 Lost communication to steering angle sensor
U0415-94 Invalid data received from ABS module
Other codes also included the traction control system etc

These codes are cleared by calibration of the stering angle sensor.

I will update this post again once I have resolved the:

B100A-15 - Permanent Fuel pump authorisation (Output high)
B10EA-14 Intermittent PTC heater (Output High)
P0683-24 Intermittent Glow Plug control module to powertrain control module communication fault (Stuck High)

If anybody has anything they can add to save me investigating these faults in detail that would be great!

Thanks

Post #358528 11th Oct 2018 8:57 am
I Like Chips

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Indus Silver

Best of luck with the B100A-15 - Permanent Fuel pump authorisation. If you do find a fix please let me and the forum know

Post #358537 11th Oct 2018 11:33 am
JonMs

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

Me too! This fault is always present but no obvious symptoms.

Post #358541 11th Oct 2018 1:56 pm
landy999

United Kingdom 

So I have begun looking in to this issues and this is what I have found out through investigating the fault

The fault relates to the swirl pump in the fuel tank

The fault is produced by the BCM through self diagnostics. The BCM looks at the circuit and sees that the output is already high/open or low/short

Taken from the service manual "The Engine Control Module
(ECM) energizes the fuel pump relay at all times when the ignition is in power modes 4 (Accessory) to 9 (Engine crank)"

Depending on the hardware revision this may be controlled from just the BCM on the can bus ECM link or directly from the ECM

I have taken readings from the fuel pump, 0.47 ohms on the input

The BCM sends a 30khz pwm signal to the pump for fault detection before an during energizing the relay but the PWM does not control speed (it is relay powered) as I found while probing yesterday. It is not directly linked with fuel delivery and just prevents fuel starvation to the engine mounted lift pump.

I have checked the earthing (which if bad may cause the output to appear high) this is OK

Having disconnected the fuel pump the fault still appears and reports that the output is high (b100a-15)

I don't believe that it came out of the factory with this fault so since both the motor and relay are energised on each startup and both these parts are electro-mechanical and therefore prone to wear it seems to make sense to begin here.

So I will send the power to a dummy load with slightly higher resistance to see if the condition changes, I will also drag the output low to simulate a short circuit and see if the fault condition changes.- eg the BCM should report B100A-11.

If this fails I will disassemble the CJB and check the monitoring circuit whilst replacing all the relays. I have seen similar monitoring circuits fail on inductive loads due to lack of reverse current protection, like a simple diode.

Will continue to update the thread with any new findings.

Thanks

Post #358588 12th Oct 2018 1:41 pm
RogB

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

ok - mind blown Bow down

Post #358589 12th Oct 2018 2:01 pm
mcsimmo

Scotland 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Mauritius Blue

+1 What RogB says. Updated- Waiting for a Scotland v England 6 Nations home win. 24th Feb 2018
Gone-1972 88 SWB Soft top
Gone-1981 24v FFR Lightweight
Gone-2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS manual
Gone before it bankrupted me- 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 Auto
2013 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto

Post #358590 12th Oct 2018 2:14 pm
JonMs

Great work! Keep us posted.

Post #358591 12th Oct 2018 2:55 pm
landy999

United Kingdom 

Hi

Just a quick update

So today, in the rain which doesn't appear to be stopping I started probing further

I decided to add a resistor in series with the fuel pump to see if changing the load resistance as seen by the BCM would have any effect. I used a 2 ohm resistor in series and no change in DTCs was observed

I then decided to add a capacitor across the motor in an attempt to quench any RF noise induced by the fuel pump but still no change

So then I decided to pull the fuse (fuse 22 in the CJB) and a new fault appeared "Fuel Pump Power Supply - circuit short
to ground or open" but much to my surprise this did not stop the B100A-15 from appearing - Short to power or open circuit in authorisation circuit.

So at this point with the fuse removed there was no power to the circuit so how can it be that the circuit is detecting power?

I believe this could be for a few reasons. Either the BCM has a fault, which I couldn't do much about at present since my BCM has a pressed in style connector to the daughter board. Or maybe that there is in fact a control wired connection between the BCM and the ECM although this is not illustrated on the wiring diagrams I have. The wire would simply send the command, probably 5 volts to the BCM to energise the circuit via the relay integrated into the CJB. Mine is 10MY and I suspect there has been a few revisions. For example my diagram does not show a glow plug control module but my landy certainly has one.

Whilst I had the BCM in pieces I tested all the relays and they are all good, there was no need to replace them.

Next I will removed the ECM and test to see if there is a control wire for the pump as opposed to using CAN for circuit activation.

One thing I have noticed is the corrosion on the contacts between the BCM and loom. I have cleaned this off however I din't expect it to fix the fault, which of course it hasn't. This was more preventing further faults as opposed to fault resolution.

My biggest concern is that the fault detection circuit is faulty. I have a sneaking suspicion that monitoring of the circuit comes directly from the CPU on the BCM and that one of its high impedance pins may have been damaged by the inductive nature of the motor. It is so easy to damage FPGAs and other chips with inductive load monitoring unless the correct circuitry is used. For now though I will attempt to locate any control wire that may be used between the ECM and BCM for pump activation.

If anybody does have a wiring diagram for a 10MY > then please do share Smile

Thank you

Post #358633 13th Oct 2018 6:29 pm
turbodi16v

England 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Ipanema Sand

Don't know for sure this is right, but I read somewhere that the pump in the tank that pumps the fuel from one side of the tank to the other use to run permanently but this was changed to a on demand setup from 2010 (or the my10 models). This is what I was led to believe that fault code related too (fuel pump authorisation)?.

Post #358636 13th Oct 2018 6:59 pm
I Like Chips

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Indus Silver

Thanks turbodi6v. Thanks for the info. I wonder if that is the case would a code reader which shows the Pump Authorisation DTC. only show and store the P A DTC if the engine is switched off? If so would clearing the code with the engine running then redoing a new code search with the engine still running show if the code re appears. Just a thought. is that thinking sound?

Post #358640 14th Oct 2018 8:19 am
JonMs

I've just been out to try this out with my IID Tool. The results are as follows:

Ignition on, read code, PA code present, delete code, read code, PA code not present, ignition off.

Ignition on, read code, PA code present, delete code, ignition off, ignition on, PA code present, ignition off.

Engine on, read code, PA code present, delete code, read code, PA not present, engine off, engine on, read code, PA code present.

So it seems that the code is triggered by ignition on/off irrespective of the engine on/off.

This is on a MY11 SD4

Post #358654 14th Oct 2018 12:45 pm
landy999

United Kingdom 

Hi

The code is created each time the system self test is completed. This is initiated once the ignition is turned on.

From my observations, if you clear the code then switch the ignition on the code will come back intermittent.

If the code is not cleared and the ignition is switched off then back on again 2 or 3 times, the fault becomes permanent as the fault counter increases.

I think the other forum member may have got it right, it is looking like a coding fault in the ECU. In which case the fault must have been present since factory. Not good.

My next test will be to download the hex dump from the ECM, I will check the output to the fuel pump to see if this is set to high. If this is the case then the only fix maybe to recode the ECU. I don't think I will be able to dump the hex from the BCM but I will try. If it wasn’t sandwiched together with press fit connectors I would take the chip off and read it on the bench but the risk of damage to the board during dismantling is too high.

I will get the ECM dump later this week as I’m going to be tied up with a big project at work till Thursday.

Thanks

Post #358683 15th Oct 2018 8:30 am
Carel Kriek

South Africa 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Orkney Grey

Thanks, this is very interesting to read! (for me as a mechanical Eng. Bow down ) 2013 SD4 SE (hers)
2013 SD4 HSE (mine)
Ex: 2008 D3 V8 HSE
EX: 2000 D2 TD5

Post #358687 15th Oct 2018 9:43 am
alex_pescaru

Be careful with the download thing...
There are several hex files (like you said it) on the BCM.
It's the EXE part and the the CFG and DATA parts. Possible all to be stored inside uC flash, or maybe CFG part in an external eeprom.
Also the immo security information is kept inside the BCM. Mess with that and you'll have a immobilized non starting car.

If you are trying to look at them/disassemble them, better to get them from the dealer SDD software as independent files.
Identify them (from the ECU info section on SDD) and get them from the SDD library.
For example, mine are these (an older car) below:
ECU VIN [F190]: SALFA24B19H.....
ECU S/N [F18C]: 00081681346
ECU ASY3 [F113]: 6G9T-14D572-LA
ECU HWN [F191]: 6G9T-14C245-LB
ECU BOOT [F180]: 6G9T-14C459-AE
ECU SWN1 [F188]: 6G9T-14C094-KK
ECU SWN2 [F120]: 6G9T-14C403-KF
ECU DAT1 [F124]: 6G9T-14C095-KF

Post #358688 15th Oct 2018 9:46 am
landy999

United Kingdom 

Sorry about the delay on updating this, have been very busy

So I can confirm that the glow plug module fault (P0683-24) is induced by the signal stuck high (this is what the -24 part of the code is referring to)

This is because 2 of my glow plugs (cyl 1 and 4 open circuit) have failed and the module appears to detect this and notify the PCM via the can bus. I could be wrong here about the communication process but replacing the plugs has resolved this issue

This code is now clear.

Today I have dumped the ECM file and attached is a copy of my ECM dump so you may look and have a play about to see if you can identify where the ECM is coded incorrectly, as mentioned above by another post, this is now looking like a coding issue. Always handy to have an original file too should you choose to remap which I may do if I get the time. Anybody have a damos for this ECU?

I will have a look myself this evening if I get time and see if I can work it out however would be easier with damos.

Since at present I'm struggling to extract the contents of the BCM (tried kline and can) it might be easier to modify the code in the ECM. When I had the BCM out I couldn't see any debug port or jtag etc but someone else may know more about this like the post above.

If you want to interpret the file I suggest you download winols demo edition and look there

Link to file https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jJarvDBgY...sp=sharing

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Post #359546 28th Oct 2018 4:45 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>