Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Wheels & Tyres > Tyre compatibility.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
blacktiger

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black
Tyre compatibility.

I've just read a question to "Honest John" about whether one can fit All Weather tyres on the front with summer tyres on the rear of a 4x4. The reply was:-
Most definitely not. All weather or cold weather are not compatible with summer tyres and on a 4x4 all tyres have to be the same make and type and within 3mm of the same tread depth or you will have problems with the automatic 4WD system.

Take particular note of the "all have to be the same make" bit. I ran Nokian Weatherproof (front) with Scorp Verde on the rear of my previous FL2 without problems. In fact it handled very well.
Thoughts from the inmates? MY13 Santorini Black SD4 HSE

Post #358348 8th Oct 2018 2:06 pm
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red

I will go with HJ, tempting fate otherwise. FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #358357 8th Oct 2018 3:28 pm
Bobupndown

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Orkney Grey

I spun my disco coming off a wet roundabout and ended up in central grass reservation fortunately not colluding with any thing or anyone. I had AT tyres on the rear and normal road tyres on the front. Can't be sure that was definitely the cause but I've been wary ever since and only change all 4 tyres at the same time with the same make / pattern since. Seems to make sense to do so. Landrover - turning owners into mechanics since 1948

2014 Orkney grey Freelander SD4 GS.
2004 Zambezi silver Discovery 2 Td5 (Gone)
1963 Surf blue Morris Mini Minor Super de Luxe (my little toy)

Post #358371 8th Oct 2018 5:05 pm
ozjeff62

Australia 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Ipanema Sand

4WDs are the only vehicles on which I have ever replaced all 4 tyres at once, but that's usually because they all needed replacing at the same time.

I don't see a problem with mixing brands front and rear, but I'd make sure they were the same size (duh), same tread style and all winter/M+S/summer/AT/muddies.

However I'd be wary of mixing very different tread depths on a fourby - Coopers, for example, often have a lot deeper tread on their tyres. You want the tyre diameters to be very similar - in the old days at least, when there was a mechanical link between axles. With the new-fangled electronic stuff I don't know if that still holds true.

My 2c.

Post #358436 9th Oct 2018 11:10 am
archie98

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey

I have never mixed tyres if you do how can you garentee that they will have equal grip

Post #358453 9th Oct 2018 3:46 pm
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

A few years ago a colleague of mine had a Vauxhall Omega company car and he had four new tyres put on it. The next day he was driving along in town and pulled out to overtake something and lost all power so pulled back in and the car was OK. He soon discovered that he couldn't do more than about 40mph before losing power. He went to the dealer where he had it serviced and they eventually discovered that one of the rear tyres was a different size or make or both and they concluded that it was the traction control that was kicking in due to difference in wheel speeds above a certain threshold. Tyre replaced and all OK. 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #358478 10th Oct 2018 8:29 am
blacktiger

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

Yes I can see that happening. I posed the question really about all four tyres needing to be the same. I always have the same on one axle. MY13 Santorini Black SD4 HSE

Post #358479 10th Oct 2018 8:56 am
rpaterson

United Kingdom 

I'm starting to look at replacing the Scorpions on Mrs P's. Possibly going for Uniroyal RS3s as I really rate their grip. I'll be going for 4 ad they're all due but I would have absolutely no qualms at all in mixing brands front/rear.

Post #359101 20th Oct 2018 6:01 pm
MartynB

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Zermatt Silver

The FL2 is not a full time fixed distribution drive 4x4 , so having pairs of tyres of slightly different rolling diameters front to back should not upset the apple cart . The Haldex unit is not like a fixed gearbox . We have never had even wear front and back as the front does most of the work . Based on that I’d not worry about having the Weatherproofs on the front . Having said that I’ve only ever used scorpion ATR on the FL2 which have coped with every weather I’d want to drive in , plus the odd bit of of light off road for shooting and such .

The Handbook for the Scooby which is full time synchronised AWD gives dire warnings about different rolling diameters , and I swap the tyres front to back and diagonally every 6k , I’m due a new set now at 32,000 with about 3.5 mm left on all 4 tyres . I’m going to give Quatrac 5 all seasons a go . 2009 GS Auto Zermatt Silver - Sold June 21 after 10 years of ownership

2016 Subaru Outback SE 2.0 diesel SE Premium Lineartronic Sold 2024 after 8 years and 80k miles . Best Car I ever owned !

2023 Toyota Hilux invincible X 2.8 Auto .

Post #359108 20th Oct 2018 8:21 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1