Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > United Kingdom > Why are we giving up diesel ?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
oldgeezer

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue
Why are we giving up diesel ?

So the goverment can install more diesel generator farms to support power supplies to charge electric cars ! Hmmmm
So who is conning who

There are about 5 diesel generator farms in the UK currently kept very quiet and they have huge diesel engines in shipping containers generating back up power

North sea wind turbine generators have huge diesel engines running 24/7 to keep the turbines rotating

Who the Censored is conning who ! Why do they keep advertising electric cars as green when they require electric to charge them !

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2016/...tax-breaks Jaguar x-type sport gone
Jaguar x-type 2.2d sport one of my best cars ever sadly gone
Freelander 2 GS auto 2008 most unreliable ever ! gladly gone
Freelander 2 GS manual 2013 only time will tell !

Post #357796 28th Sep 2018 5:23 pm
RogB

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

Given the large drop in unleaded prices this week due or wholesale price going down, but the price of diesel remaining high (125.7 for petrol 130.7 for diesel near me) it's my belief this is yet another cynical ploy by the powers that be to force diesel drivers to sell up and buy a wonderful clean electric car.
I for one can't afford to sell my filthy diesel (plus the fact I love the car) and electric cars just would not work for me. I sure as hell am not going to buy a tiny electric car as I won't fit in one!!

Post #357817 29th Sep 2018 8:45 am
axle

England 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Santorini Black

I think electric cars are a ploy by Chicken George to get rid of caravans as they can't tow them Rolling with laughter Common sense isn't very common.

Post #357820 29th Sep 2018 10:06 am
BossBob

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

My understanding is that the particulates emitted by Diesel engines are of a size that is cross the air/blood barrier in the lungs, making their way around the body and lodging in unwanted places,hence the dpf fitted to modern Diesel engines. But they also emit less CO2 than petrol driven internal combustion engines. My problem is the whole environmental cost of creating a new car from raw materials probably outweighs any savings made while running the new car compared to continuing to run the old car.
I used to think that running an electric car was a bit of a fudge as pollution would be created at the power station even if it wasn’t being created as the energy was being used but with more and more electricity being generated by solar and wind that objection is no longer valid.
My objections to batteries is that they are not as energy dense (very heavy compared to the power contained), you have to carry the depleted battery around, and that the minerals used for creating modern batteries are not common. We are also going to have a problem charging these batteries, the streets are going to be a spiders web of charging cables. Anyone with a smartphone is going to know the panic that ensues when the phone goes into “power saving” mode. Imagine what it’s going to be like when your car does this!
My personal preference is a hydrogen fuel cell used to produce electricity combined with a battery charged by regenerative breaking. Rapid filling, even the quickest charging battery technologies take 30 minutes whereas topping up hydrogen is similar to filling up with a liquid fuel. People who worry about the safety of hydrogen need to do some research on battery fires.

Post #357821 29th Sep 2018 10:16 am
SYFL2

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

My personal preference is a hydrogen fuel cell used to produce electricity combined with a battery charged by regenerative breaking.
Like one of these ?

kipling poems list

Post #357823 29th Sep 2018 11:21 am
Bobupndown

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Orkney Grey

Getting a replacement flux capacitor at your local Landrover dealers may prove problematic!

Its sad to see the way diesel has become the fuel of Beelzebub himself Evil or Very Mad

I remember the huge growth in the late 80s / early 90s when diesel was being promoted by government and car manufacturers as the future and it really was embraced when over half of British vehicle sales were diesels, thanks in no small part to the wonderful PSA XUD engines in Peugeot Citroen and Tdis in the VW group. But no all change, Government now says diesel "is a very bad thing", we dont want you to drive those horrible smelly tractors in our cities, or we do as long as you pay a premium to do so.
Im sure the government wouldnt want to do without all the duty they make on diesel sales and the hiked road tax fund.
It will soon be so socially unacceptable to drive a diesel that we'll have to sneak out in the cover of darkness to refuel them from the hated black pump.
It makes me so cross, I love my diesel cars and having a big twin axle caravan to tow, I'll be having one for a long time to come! Landrover - turning owners into mechanics since 1948

2014 Orkney grey Freelander SD4 GS.
2004 Zambezi silver Discovery 2 Td5 (Gone)
1963 Surf blue Morris Mini Minor Super de Luxe (my little toy)

Post #357825 29th Sep 2018 12:02 pm
Purplemadboy

Scotland 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Firenze Red

I’m with bossbob , hydrogen is the only way forward , this EV thing is a con .. emprers new clothes. Do it now ! Your a long time dead !!

Post #357827 29th Sep 2018 12:56 pm
axle

England 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Santorini Black

Ditto for Hydrogen. Common sense isn't very common.

Post #357829 29th Sep 2018 1:38 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

Electric if you have home solar + 365 days of sun , with a battery to store the solar generation when your cars away .

electric supplied through miles of cable on the national grid isnt efficient. At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #357830 29th Sep 2018 2:23 pm
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

RogB wrote:
(125.7 for petrol 130.7 for diesel near me)

Are you selling fuel by the litre & vehicles using mpg? Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #357831 29th Sep 2018 2:52 pm
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

chicken george wrote:
electric supplied through miles of cable on the national grid isnt efficient.

About 2% loss per 1000 km. So for Australia from North Queensland to Tasmania about 8% loss. Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #357832 29th Sep 2018 2:59 pm
Worms

Scotland 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Zermatt Silver

Perhaps liquid batteries are the answer! 2005 D3 2.7 Auto
Previously:
2010 MY FL2 TD4e GS - Now gone at 199,500 miles, about 135,000 of them mine.
‘93 Defender 110 200TDi CSW
‘87 Defender 90 4 cyl Petrol
‘83 110 CSW V8 - best ever!
Range Rover 2-door V8 (not sure of year - 4-speed box and vacuum diff switch)
Series III SWB Diesel

Post #357836 29th Sep 2018 4:40 pm
RogB

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

Lightwater wrote:
RogB wrote:
(125.7 for petrol 130.7 for diesel near me)

Are you selling fuel by the litre & vehicles using mpg?

Yep that's the way it goes over here... all the pumps sell by the litre but fuel economy is always quoted in MPG by drivers and manufacturers alike.

Post #357845 29th Sep 2018 8:06 pm
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

Yes, we still like our old MPG. Old habits die hard. And I find it hard to think in L/100km. Luckily all the car adverts and brochures quote figures for L/100km alongside the mpg. Jules

Post #357853 29th Sep 2018 9:51 pm
oldgeezer

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

The dirty secret of Britain's power madness: Polluting diesel generators built in secret by foreign companies to kick in when there's no wind for turbines - and other insane but true eco-scandals
Moving to wind power is expected to cost £1 billion a year
Official figures on the size of the green economy are extremely misleading
They exaggerate the worth of the sector by up to 700 per cent

: Banks of diesel generators that have been built for when wind turbines fail to produce electricity because of lack of wind
Stopgap: Banks of diesel generators that have been built for when wind turbines fail to produce electricity because of lack of wind

Thousands of dirty diesel generators are being secretly prepared all over Britain to provide emergency back-up to prevent the National Grid collapsing when wind power fails.

And under the hugely costly scheme, the National Grid is set to pay up to 12 times the normal wholesale market rate for the electricity they generate.

One of the main beneficiaries of the stopgap plan is the Government itself, which stands to make hundreds of millions of pounds by leasing out the capacity of the generators in public-sector property including NHS hospitals, prisons, military bases, police and fire headquarters, schools and council offices.

But the losers will be consumers who can expect yet further hikes in their electricity bills in the name of ‘combating climate change’.

[/URL]

This scheme is a direct consequence of the renewable energy policy adopted by the Coalition but first developed by Tony Blair in response to EU renewables directives to reduce Britain’s carbon emissions by 20 per cent by 2020.

As more and more wind turbines are built to replace fossil fuels, so the National Grid will become increasingly unstable because wind power is intermittent, unpredictable and unreliable.

[/img][URL=http://s739.photobucket.com/user/injectiondoc/media/windfarmgenerators/wind%20farm%20diesel%20back%20up_zpskuxlpwub.jpg.html]
[/URL]

Wind now constitutes about ten per cent of Britain’s energy mix. Under current Government targets, the plan is to increase this to 25 per cent by 2020.

[/URL]]

We are not talking small diesel engines and if we are driving such dirty cars and so much damage has been done to the motor industry through uncertainty why are we running such huge diesel generator plant that does not comply to Euro 6 rules !!
Please be aware your rolling over for the government and giving up diesels or spending shed loads on hybrids that are going to be hughley outdated in a few years with new technology coming along but its ok for the government to approve diesel generation ! Weird or what ?

Don't even get me started on off shore wind generation as their diesel engines run 24/7 and they are huge ! Jaguar x-type sport gone
Jaguar x-type 2.2d sport one of my best cars ever sadly gone
Freelander 2 GS auto 2008 most unreliable ever ! gladly gone
Freelander 2 GS manual 2013 only time will tell !

Post #357916 1st Oct 2018 12:10 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>