Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > Any walkers/hikers on here? Walking poles question...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Steve D

United Kingdom 
Any walkers/hikers on here? Walking poles question...

As above. Anyone use them? I see loads of people with them and was thinking of getting some. Any tips? Past: FL2 TD4 HSE Auto
Evoque SD4 Dynamic Lux Auto
Present: Audi A3 S Line.

Post #357588 25th Sep 2018 12:01 pm
RogB

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

no tips particularly but they are very helpful on steeper ground up and down. Plenty of choices around to buy and as far as I can see most have sprung telescopic extensions. The spring helps take out the shock going through your hands.

make sure you get ones suitable for your height as although they extend they can still be too short if your tall... im 6'3'' and my son is 6'6'' so it is an issue..... if your a shorta**e then you have no worries Laughing

oh and you will need to adjust your walking style to be more like a quadruped rather than an experienced biped Laughing

Post #357591 25th Sep 2018 12:44 pm
pab

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Lago Grey

It's prime walking country up here in the Pennines so I see lots of people carrying them. For most they seem to be fashion accessories as much as anything, certainly I almost never see anyone using them 'properly', in pairs for power walking. I will sometimes carry one (not a pair) if I know a walk is going to take in very rough terrain, but mostly I don't bother.

If you're concerned about image bear in mind that such things do tend to mark you as a visitor. Up here you'll never see a local decked out in the latest Goretex with rucksack and walking poles - if you want to look like a local it's the same old jacket you've had for years and (but only if you need one) a wooden stick. Smile

Post #357592 25th Sep 2018 12:44 pm
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

I see a few tourists from Europe around my area use them, but never seen a single person use them in the outback. Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #357596 25th Sep 2018 2:12 pm
westville

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Fuji White

Used them to good effect when I did Hadrians Wall a while back - very good on steep uneven (and slippery) ground - also good fum for power walking to restore your flagging morale Thumbs Up No Longer the owner of a 2013MY Fuji White GS

"Fiat Lux" a philosophy not a car

Post #357597 25th Sep 2018 2:15 pm
Dom

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Orkney Grey

Walking poles are very beneficial for taking weight of your knees if you're carrying a heavy rucksack. They also provide extra stability.

I only use mine when doing a multi-day walk with all my camping gear as my rucksack is really heavy. Tend not to use them on a simple day walk. They also double up as tent poles for my tarp.

This is worth a read: https://www.ukhillwalking.com/articles/fea...rance-3375 Freelander 2 XS 2013
Freelander SE 2004 (Gone)
Freelander GS 2002 (Gone)

Post #357600 25th Sep 2018 2:30 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

pab wrote:
It's prime walking country up here in the Pennines so I see lots of people carrying them. For most they seem to be fashion accessories as much as anything, certainly I almost never see anyone using them 'properly', in pairs for power walking. I will sometimes carry one (not a pair) if I know a walk is going to take in very rough terrain, but mostly I don't bother.

If you're concerned about image bear in mind that such things do tend to mark you as a visitor. Up here you'll never see a local decked out in the latest Goretex with rucksack and walking poles - if you want to look like a local it's the same old jacket you've had for years and (but only if you need one) a wooden stick. Smile

LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby
LOT (Lord of Time) - University of Gallifrey

Post #357604 25th Sep 2018 3:10 pm
paxman

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Orkney Grey

Leki is a good brand. I have 2 pairs one pair for Nordic walk and the other pair normal. Normal pair are good for slippery slopes up or down. I went up a few mountain tops in Spain and I think they helped a lot on the way down preventing accidents.

Post #357621 25th Sep 2018 7:46 pm
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

Tend to use my sticks for steep downhills and steps - helps the knees Jules

Post #357630 25th Sep 2018 10:43 pm
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red
Re: Any walkers/hikers on here? Walking poles question...

Steve D wrote:
As above. Anyone use them? I see loads of people with them and was thinking of getting some. Any tips?

Black Diamond with levered locks, never buy poles that are internal twist locks. Always use in pairs, set shorter uphill and longer downhill. Carried mine on my sack for miles but nice to know they are there for when you need them.

Used them (black diamond) for years but you must dry them out as they can corrode. My wife has a really cool set that fit inside a sack as they go ultra small. You need to know what length though.

https://www.alloutdoor.co.uk/equipment/wal...gI0LPD_BwE FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #357634 25th Sep 2018 11:28 pm
mcsimmo

Scotland 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Mauritius Blue

We do a lot of walking holidays to get aware from the rat race and work pressures. I have early stages of arthritis in one of my knees and find going up and down inclines esp over rough ground hard going and I feel it for days afterwards.
I now use poles if I'm going to be on anything other than level ground, and they make a big difference.

I do laugh at some people who use them who fall into the 'all the gear and no idea' heading, who spend 30 minutes kitting up in the car park with their rucksacks, over trousers etc, then using their poles walk across the road to 'Ye Olde Tea Shoppe'.

Laughing Updated- Waiting for a Scotland v England 6 Nations home win. 24th Feb 2018
Gone-1972 88 SWB Soft top
Gone-1981 24v FFR Lightweight
Gone-2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS manual
Gone before it bankrupted me- 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 Auto
2013 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto

Post #357644 26th Sep 2018 7:45 am
ronp

Scotland 

I do a fair bit of walking, as I'm a voluntary ranger for the north York moors national park and don't bother with poles, they just get in the way.

I can hear all the "clickers" before I see them.

I do carry one pole though, a very short telescopic one.
But that is only used when required for fending off cattle, farm dogs and checking out depth of water/bog etc. FL2 now gone and have a couple of items left for sale:-

Brodit active iPhone holder + Brodit dash clip,
Bluetooth Music Streaming Module.

Post #357656 26th Sep 2018 9:13 am
RogB

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

might see you next June then Ron... im attempting the Yorks 3 peaks challenge for a 2nd time. Doing it with a large group of 50+ in aid of Macmillan and Cancer Research. The guy organising it is using one of the guide companies to break us down into sensible size groups.

Post #357658 26th Sep 2018 9:18 am
Yorky Bob

Next month I am back in Nepal to 5,500 ts and the Black Diamonds will be used daily for the best part of 3 weeks to ease the pain.

Ron you have just reminded me of this as you are a volunteer:

A few years ago I was wandering near Watendlath in the Lakes and accosted by a National Trust Volunteer to join, I said why ? She replied pointing to Watendlath farm "preserving all of this". I looked at her in the eye and said "preserving my arse" as some 30 year prior I had walked through the farm when it was a working farm. Now its has a Car Park, Tea Room and Gift shop and is frequented by Grockles.

I feel your pain Ron as most only walk about 100 yards from a car to consume and move on. FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #357660 26th Sep 2018 9:33 am
Yorky Bob

RogB wrote:
might see you next June then Ron... im attempting the Yorks 3 peaks challenge for a 2nd time. Doing it with a large group of 50+ in aid of Macmillan and Cancer Research. The guy organising it is using one of the guide companies to break us down into sensible size groups.

Wrong National Park Rog. How is your navigation Shocked FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #357662 26th Sep 2018 9:47 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>