Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > Storm damage
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
npinks

United Kingdom 

even though they are not covering it, the rejected claim is going to go against your mothers policy at renewal, as they will have to pay the assessor, so bit of a double kick to the nuts with that one Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #358139 4th Oct 2018 1:37 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

I’ve told them that they appear to be using one of their terms to nullify a claim under storm damage terms and that’s not right. The rendering has been solid as a rock until this storm.

The assessor states there’s evidence of wear and tear but he’s judging the wall post storm damage, he’s not seen it before. It also does not state they can refuse a claim because a patch repair has been done at some point. Only wear and tear.

Their terms do not define what wear and tear is, so a vague or ambiguous term must be interpreted in a manner least favourable to the party seeking to rely on it. Contra proferentum rule.

Worth a shot Thumbs Up LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby
LOT (Lord of Time) - University of Gallifrey

Post #358140 4th Oct 2018 1:49 pm
RogB

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

The Doctor wrote:
Insurance sent an assessor out today and they have refused to cover it after all. They said it’s gone during the storm due to wear and tear over the years and there’s evidence of patch repairs at some point in the past.

It’s my mums house and since my dad died she has no income and is living off savings so she can’t afford to pay to have it done so it’s being left in the state it’s in. The only hope is that someone can patch bits of it up for low cost.

so on the basis of the older something is, the more wear and tear there is likely to be, what is the point of insuring something that is old ??

I don't insure my 13 year old springer spaniel as the monthly premium would be about £60 a month, although the only thing she has ever had major is being speyed when she was 8 months old and the premium + excess negates most of the treatments she is likely to need at this age (anti biotics etc)

maybe I should just buy an older car and not insure that as due to wear and tear they wont pay out for anything ?? Banging Head

Post #358141 4th Oct 2018 1:53 pm
Chuckalicious

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Santorini Black

Unfortunately render is considered a wear and tear item, which it ultimately is. It's like break pads in a car. It's job is to protect the surface underneath and sacrifice itself at the same time. It will always wear out and will need replaced at some point.

It does sound like a cop out, I know, but I would agree with the insurer. Have you gone around d the rest of the render gently tapping it with say a handle of a screwdriver? If any of it sounds hollow, it's ready to come off. Your original photo would suggest that was the issue with at least that one point.

Sorry it has happened to your mum and her situation but I don't think you'll get anywhere fighting the insurer. Hopefully you can find a reasonable solution for her. Learned to drive in 2011.
Bought a Micra - great little car
"Upgraded" to Kia Sportage - hated it
Proper upgrade to FL2 TD4 GS 60 reg Facelift - tailgate paint issues, fuel gauge rewire, transfer box failure at 36k miles, clutch at 60k
Reconditioned diff at 70k ish
Sold at 84k and now on a DS. Terribly unreliable.
Sold DS for a 2021 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV. Fingers crossed....
Sold Outlander for a 2014 SD4 SE Tech because I’m mental

Post #358146 4th Oct 2018 2:54 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

I agree and think that the only outcome will be in their favour but it’s a case of nothing to lose. They do pay out for rendering apparently but only if it’s decent rendering that’s been damaged by a storm. As opposed to ours which is old and worn and been damaged by a storm. LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby

Post #358161 4th Oct 2018 6:33 pm
Jack frost

United Kingdom 

But it’s still storm damage, regardless if it’s new/old rendering it’s still STORM DAMAGE. When you renewed your insurance did they ask you have you got new rendering or old rendering ? Did they say if it’s old rendering & you have a storm your not covered? I say fight it

Post #358171 4th Oct 2018 8:37 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

They are just relying on the wear and tear card. We will challenge it through the ombudsman purely on a nothing to lose basis. LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby

Post #358179 4th Oct 2018 11:29 pm
Dartman the one

England 

I think you will lose on this one Doc, rendering is used as a seal to porous brick or stone work and needs to be maintained, it is and always has been liable to cracking and thus requires painting with a exterior paint to keep its waterproof properties specially the lime type rendering. If there has been no painting within the last 2-5 years you're on a losing wicket, the other clause that the property should be kept in good condition would come into play. my PC is slightly to the right of Genghis
2012 HSE SD4 In Orkney Grey now gone, best car ever.

Post #358187 5th Oct 2018 10:59 am
RogB

they just use the wear and tear card as their easy get out.

when the slave cylinder seals blew on my last manual FL2 and contaminated the clutch plate and flywheel, the warranty company refused to pay by saying the seals were wear and tear and I shouldn't have driven it with them leaking. There were no visible oil leaks and no way I could have known until the clutch started slipping badly which is when I found out about the seals from the garage.

insurance companies are just happy to take your money but refuse to pay out at every opportunity they can. Conning rip off Censored

Post #358191 5th Oct 2018 12:20 pm
JulesK

Wales 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Firenze Red

The Doctor wrote:
They are just relying on the wear and tear card. We will challenge it through the ombudsman purely on a nothing to lose basis.

Did your questionnaire ask if you had patch repairs on the rendering Doc? If not, then that as absolutely nothing to do with claim.

Slippery as a bag full of congers. Evil or Very Mad If it wasn't so bad it'd be funny.

🐑
Freelander 2 HSE auto 2014 ( Florrie ) ..... Try again.
Freelander 2 GS 2012...... Gone.

Post #358197 5th Oct 2018 1:19 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

No it didn’t. Thing is, there is no specific definition for wear and tear so if we had brand new rendering in 2017 and it got damaged by a storm, they could play the wear and tear card there. It practically has no limitations and it’s the insurers get out of jail free card. LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby

Post #358204 5th Oct 2018 3:55 pm
RichardM

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Lago Grey

RogB wrote:
The Doctor wrote:
Insurance sent an assessor out today and they have refused to cover it after all. They said it’s gone during the storm due to wear and tear over the years and there’s evidence of patch repairs at some point in the past.

It’s my mums house and since my dad died she has no income and is living off savings so she can’t afford to pay to have it done so it’s being left in the state it’s in. The only hope is that someone can patch bits of it up for low cost.

so on the basis of the older something is, the more wear and tear there is likely to be, what is the point of insuring something that is old ??

I don't insure my 13 year old springer spaniel as the monthly premium would be about £60 a month, although the only thing she has ever had major is being speyed when she was 8 months old and the premium + excess negates most of the treatments she is likely to need at this age (anti biotics etc)

maybe I should just buy an older car and not insure that as due to wear and tear they wont pay out for anything ?? Banging Head

Third party, fire and theft instead of fully comp. is what you need

Post #358222 6th Oct 2018 8:41 am
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

A few years ago our block of units was on a "black list" which from my understanding all the insurance companies share & we could not get insurance.

Literally 15 minutes to midnight our building got insurance via a favour! I am the longest owner in the building & on the committee. We have a long track record of maintenance & replacing things. Like windows, balustrade, pluming etc. It's a long list. Only $5k of claims over 20 years! Last year we replaced the electrical meter room & garage roof. Also part or it was part of our long term asbestos removal plan which we had a long before government requirements!

People comment on our well maintained building & we already have $30k in the sinking fund after the last round of upgrades.

We could not get insurance when there are so many building which should be condemned!

If you try to claim for anything be aware of the unofficial black list. You might find it more difficult in the long run. I believe insurance companies are gradually setting up the entire system so there are no risks, so no payouts.... in other words a cash cow!

We need an asbestos report & long term plan & it must be given to anyone doing any work on the building, safety report, fire report, locks on windows so kids cannot fall more than 2 metres, binds with no loose cords, electrical safety RCD, now hot water cannot be more than 50°C at the tap.

I then walk down the street. Foot paths I can trip over. Exposed asbestos phone pits. Power cables too low. Council using carcinogenic weed killers, but that's seems to be ok! Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #358227 6th Oct 2018 9:46 am
RogB

RichardM wrote:
RogB wrote:
The Doctor wrote:

Third party, fire and theft instead of fully comp. is what you need

do you mean insure my 13 year old dog third party fire and theft ?? Rolling with laughter

The problem is that these days TPFT isn't much cheaper than fully comp, and I would never go down that route for my own car these days.

Post #358314 7th Oct 2018 8:03 pm
tenet

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Orkney Grey

Cripes Doc - It would be a miracle if the insurance pays up on that. They would probably invoke "keeping in good condition" as well as "wear and tear". I guess if you don't ask you don't get but wish you luck.

You mention that your mum's on limited income - has she considered equity release? There are some ethical firms out there and with your legal knowledge can sort the wheat from the chaff. MY 09 GS manual in Lago Grey, Wood Co arm rest and side bumper strips - now sold.

MY 15 SD4 SE Auto Orkney Grey with colour coded Bumper Door Mouldings

Post #358334 8th Oct 2018 9:24 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>