Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > Diesel sales and Brexit blamed for JLR production cut.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 6 <123456>
Print this entire topic · 
jp

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Zermatt Silver

I've been in a few LR dealers over the past few months looking ! All summer they have been full of unsold stock at high prices, and if truthful I don't really fancy much in the range at the moment. unless I have 75k plus.

Plus nobody's going to buy a Diesel if more towns & cities are looking at banning or charging Diesel cars or 4x4s to drive. Hence why you can get great deals on Diesels with most other car dealers at the moment.
There's to much choose and to much stock in the market. LR are stuck between a rock and a hard place. High prices, High emissions, High competition.

Our new Hybrid "Summer car" dose 1,500 plus miles to 8 gallons of fuel+ £40 of electricity = 192 MPG. (I'm £3.00 better off if I charge from our solar panels on a sunny day) The Freelander 2 would cost over £300.00 to do 1,500 miles.
I still have the Freelander 2 "Winter car" and when I drive it I enjoy it, but it's done less then 2,500 mile this year.

"Brexit" is a factor to blame too, because nobody knows what's going to happen, people are holding back buying any big ticket items. Rolling Eyes

Post #357224 19th Sep 2018 3:06 pm
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

axle wrote:
Is that Noddy's car?

You've guessed its name correctly Very Happy

It looks daft but its fun to drive - 650cc turbo engine revs to 8K rpm , 5 speed manual, handles like a go-cart and has a folding aluminium hard roof. Jules

Post #357227 19th Sep 2018 3:53 pm
Tradewind 35

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue
Blame game.

These JLR senior executives blaming everything and everyone else for falling sales are the same team that directed customers to ingest the turd that is "Premium Brand " posturing. Their strategic direction has allowed the brands - particularly Land Rover - to remain at the bottom of nearly every car reliability survey over several decades instead of engineering for reliability and quality. Having the wrong product mix of predominantly overpriced, inadequately product tested and troublesome cars with huge running costs has happened on their watch and is largely due to their direction.
A turd smothered in a reduction extracted from freshly squeezed marketing consultants and garnished with the jus of sun dried image stylists is still a turd.

Post #357245 19th Sep 2018 11:34 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
JulesK

Wales 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Firenze Red

Thumbs Up elequently put. If it wasn't so bad it'd be funny.

🐑
Freelander 2 HSE auto 2014 ( Florrie ) ..... Try again.
Freelander 2 GS 2012...... Gone.

Post #357258 20th Sep 2018 9:15 am
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White
Re: Blame game.

Tradewind 35 wrote:
These JLR senior executives blaming everything and everyone else for falling sales are the same team that directed customers to ingest the turd that is "Premium Brand " posturing. Their strategic direction has allowed the brands - particularly Land Rover - to remain at the bottom of nearly every car reliability survey over several decades instead of engineering for reliability and quality. Having the wrong product mix of predominantly overpriced, inadequately product tested and troublesome cars with huge running costs has happened on their watch and is largely due to their direction.
A turd smothered in a reduction extracted from freshly squeezed marketing consultants and garnished with the jus of sun dried image stylists is still a turd.

I am not sure why people with so little regard for the Land Rover brand go ahead and buy a Land Rover?

The original quote brought attention to the fact that LR sold mainly diesel cars which are being legislated against, and the fact that the new trade barriers after Brexit will make it harder and more expensive to import and export goods. Both valid points. FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 76k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #357259 20th Sep 2018 9:31 am
jules

I guess part of the issue is that Landrover moved into a more expensive market where people dont expect fix things themselves and made increasingly more complicated vehicles heavily dependent upon electronics.

The reason we've had 3 Discovery 2s and 6 Freelanders (mk1 and mk2) is that they were actually very reliable and very useful.

I loved the Disco 2; it was great for towing the caravan and they were quite easy to fix.
However I can do a fair amount of DIY and wouldnt consider many things I guess other people complain about as major issues. I did change the clutch slave cylinder whilst at a caravan park - ramps not required. I miss that about the Freelander. Jules

Post #357263 20th Sep 2018 10:03 am
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

Isn't it about time that JLR announced a forward strategy roadmap stating it's intentions in the areas of electric and non diesel? I will probably change the FL2 in 2020 but I can't see anything worth waiting for at the moment.

PS reading an article in the FT the other day about electric aircraft which look promising for short haul use but someone has pointed out that for an A320 to travel 3000 miles would (and even if you had a five fold improvement in battery capacity) require 180 tons of batteries in a plane weighing only 80 tons. Bit of a problem. Shocked 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #357265 20th Sep 2018 10:09 am
j77

Scotland 

Disco Sport and Evoque plug in Hybrid due out next year, Defender hybrid to follow along with the all electric Road Rover.

Disco Sport and Evoque switching to the new PTA platform which LR claim will give a better ride and more refinement along with 10% increased luggage space. 21MY Defender 90 S 3.0 D200

Post #357269 20th Sep 2018 10:40 am
dondiddy

United Kingdom 2012 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Firenze Red
Re: Blame game.

IanMetro wrote:
[quote="
I am not sure why people with so little regard for the Land Rover brand go ahead and buy a Land Rover?

The original quote brought attention to the fact that LR sold mainly diesel cars which are being legislated against, and the fact that the new trade barriers after Brexit will make it harder and more expensive to import and export goods. Both valid points.

I too have noticed that it appears to be a "Land Rover thing" that a lot of people appear to enjoy reporting that their car or a friend of a friend has had loads of trouble with their Land Rover and they are so unreliable etc etc. They appear almost "proud" to report a problem! Confused The What Car report is absolutely meaningless as far as I am concerned. 18,000 or so people responded about 159 models which averages out at 113 or so per model but the report does not make it clear how many respondants per model there was and have also factored in repair times etc, to come up with a realiability score. Remember when they are claiming that 50% of landrovers (or whatever) had a problem under 4 years old that means that it was 50% of the landrover owners who responded to the survey NOT 50% of ALL Land Rovers. Only 10 people might have bothered to reply but they don`t tell you that! Big Cry My Freelander is just coming up on 6 years old, has done 151,000mls,tows regularly and has not had anything go wrong with it. It is still on its original, clutch,gearbox,haldex,diff, (all with original oils) wheel bearings, egr, throttle body etc and other than a temperamental stop start system still drives like it was new. Thumbs Up

Last edited by dondiddy on 20th Sep 2018 1:19 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #357270 20th Sep 2018 10:54 am
JulesK

Wales 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Firenze Red

Fair comment yet mine is 5 and has a replacement steering rack,all the arch protectors fell off so were replaced and have waited 2 weeks now just for a replacement tailgate switch which dealer reckons are so unreliable that they are on back order.
As for 1st Freelander the dealer had it three weeks on their diagnostic machine but still couldn't tell me what was wrong!! Luckily an more experienced (older) mechanic solved the problem in 15mins which says to me that it's ok LR sticking more electronics in cars but they then need to know how to fix them.

But still love it Smile and great to carry the Sheep Sheep about in. If it wasn't so bad it'd be funny.

🐑
Freelander 2 HSE auto 2014 ( Florrie ) ..... Try again.
Freelander 2 GS 2012...... Gone.

Post #357281 20th Sep 2018 12:53 pm
90vanman

England 2012 Freelander 2 eD4 XS Manual Rimini Red

Jack frost wrote:
Yorky Bob wrote:
Jack frost wrote:
Jack frost wrote:
Honda are now warning of a no deal Brexit is going to jeopardise their UK operations, I am afraid we voted Brexit we all knew it could bite us on the backside Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry

Now mini stopping production for a month, what have we done Whistle

Leave the WE out of this Whistle

You & me must be the only remain on the site mate Thumbs Up
You'd better count me in for remaining!!

Post #357486 23rd Sep 2018 8:08 pm
jules

And me. Jules

Post #357493 23rd Sep 2018 8:47 pm
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

Until we know what are Government is planning it is hard to tell what to do.

When they make up their minds, then that's when we need a fresh referendum;

Do we

Stay in ECC

Go with the plan

Go over the cliff with Boris.

Except for the last one, I haven't decided yet, that why we need a fresh vote. FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 76k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #357496 23rd Sep 2018 8:55 pm
Tigger

United Kingdom 

Even my 87 year old, died in the wool Leave, dad has just realised he was lied to by Leave and is starting to see what a mess the whole thing is.

Post #357509 24th Sep 2018 7:03 am
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

The words turkeys and Christmas come to mind. The PM has an impossible job of reconciling all of the various issues of Ireland. trade, immigration etc. Loss of the U.K. from the EU will have a negative effect on the EU too but since you can’t rerun history we will never know how things would have developed if we had stayed in. 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #357574 25th Sep 2018 8:00 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 6 <123456>