Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Hate the standard stereo!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
tamboradave

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Tambora Flame
Hate the standard stereo!

Hi all,

Loving my GS FL2, however if there was one thing I could change, it would be the stereo.

I went for the bog standard one and am regretting it... The sound quality is terrible.... like razor blades on the ears at any medium/high volume!

Does anyone know if it can be upgraded to the premium one as an aftersale fit??

If not, I'm certainly gonna look into replacing it... I can't live with it... really regret not upgrading to the premium one.

Otherwise the car is just great.

Regards,

Post #2271 5th Apr 2007 8:07 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
jmccaff

Canada 

I just decided against the upgraded stereo because I could get my truck sooner if I go with the standard 320W Alpine. Is it really that bad? I was in a friends LR3 that had a 240W Harmon Kardon and it sounded great. I hate to say it but when I took my test drive I didn't even try the stereo! Embarassed

Post #2272 5th Apr 2007 8:33 pm
avtur

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

tamboradave,

I know where you are coming from, I wouldn't quite go as far as to say I hate it, but I certainly would like something better. I really wanted a premium sound system in my last car and promised myself that the next car would have one (I live in my car so its quite important to me). However, when it came to choosing the FL2 I couldn't justify the price difference GS to XS just for the sound system (which is all I wanted in the XS spec) my salesman told me there was no upgrade option on the sound system and that only way to improve it was to go for the XS. I have not looked too deeply into after market upgrade yet, but it is on my to do list. I'd be interested in what options you discover .... I've already had the system overheat and cut out just from 15 minutes at 'modest' volume ......

Post #2273 5th Apr 2007 9:10 pm
tamboradave

320w Alpine????

I can't beleive the standard stereo is made by Alpine... is this right?

Is it really that bad? In my opinion.. yes. I was really silly not to listen to the basic stereo before I placed my order. It just sounds really cheap, flat as can be.

I'm looking into changing it.

Regards,

David

Post #2274 5th Apr 2007 9:14 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
tamboradave

avtur.....

I too coudn't justify the extra money going up from the GS...

I've a mate who's a car electrician. He speciality is fitting premium audio solutions to all sorts of cars. I'm gonna have a good chat with him and will post any of his recommendations.

Regards,

Post #2275 5th Apr 2007 9:22 pm
Tim in Scotland

United Kingdom 

Dave all Land Rover Stereos and Satnav systems are developed for them by Alpine, evenif the hardware/software is from other sources. They used to use Phillips stuff but changed about 3 years ago How can carbon have a footprint, it has no feet?
Now driving - RRE Coupe Dynamic Lux Auto with Plus pack, Fuji White, Ebony, SD4 with tow pack
Gone - 2010MY FFRR TDv8 Stornoway and Ivory, Privacy - the pace of a TDv8 RRS, the incomparable grace of a Range Rover
Gone but will be missed- RRS Tdv8 HSE Stornoway Grey with Ebony Leather
Gone (only a little missed) RRS Tdv6 2.7SE Giverny Green/Aspen
Defender 90 County HT in Epsom Green

Post #2276 5th Apr 2007 9:23 pm
jmccaff

Canada 

Hi TD

I guess every country is different but for North America the SE (only model we get) comes standard with a 320W Alpine. I went to the dealer on my way home tonight and tried the upgraded stereo. It was not super loud when I had my CD in it but the radio was OK. I'm glad I didn't pay for the upgrade but I'm worried what the standard one is going to be like now! Big Cry

I get my car on the 17th of April

Post #2283 6th Apr 2007 1:14 am
takealongline

United States 

This is a very subjective topic and this way too early to panic. What sounds good to someone may sound awful to someone else, and vice versa. I heard sort of the same story when I was getting ready to buy my LR3. However, when I tested both the 240w system in the SE vs. the 550w system in the HSE, I couldn’t tell the difference!

The stereo, or more accurately, the absence of improvement of one over the other, ended up being the deciding factor in me getting a fully loaded SE model over an HSE.

A bit of advice to those taking test-drives: bring your own CDs, and take all the time you need testing the thing!

Post #2284 6th Apr 2007 1:55 am
takealongline

United States 

Tim in Scotland wrote:
Dave all Land Rover Stereos and Satnav systems are developed for them by Alpine, evenif the hardware/software is from other sources. They used to use Phillips stuff but changed about 3 years ago

Tim, are you certain of this? All the literature I have for the Range Rover, the LR3 and the Range Rover Sport exclusively mentions Harman Kardon systems; not a word about Alpine. In fact the only place where Alpine systems are mentioned are in relation to the Freelander 2.

Interestingly, my Disco I came with a stereo made for Land Rover by Pioneer.

Post #2286 6th Apr 2007 2:04 am
gibbergump

Canada 2007 LR2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

I ended up ordering the upgraded stereo, and yes, it is made by Pioneer. Iam starting to think Ii made the right choice?

here is a review:

http://www.trustedreviews.com/multimedia/r...he-Move/p1

Post #2288 6th Apr 2007 2:21 am
avtur

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

The basic system IS basic, 6 speakers, single CD and not much power. As I say I've overheated mine in 15 minutes of 'good' listening. I wouldn't be surprised if the UK basic system is NOT seen overseas ....

Post #2289 6th Apr 2007 7:43 am
superkoala

Belgium 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Rimini Red

in Belgium the basic system is found in the E & S versions, in the SE version there's the version with 9 speakers, the HSE adds the 6 cd changer, so NO Dolby Pro Logic II in the HSE as in the UK Sad

Post #2291 6th Apr 2007 11:46 am
Paul

Belgium 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey

In the U.K. the HSE costs 30 935 £ which is about 46400 €. In Belgium 41 000 €. So who's better off Superkoala ?

Post #2293 6th Apr 2007 12:24 pm
superkoala

Belgium 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Rimini Red

Paul, I once calculated the price and worked out it's about the same amount when you take into account all the differences (radio, sunroof, xenon lights, ...)
So it depends on what you like and what you want really.

Just did the math's again and you've got to deduct £ 3030 to get a similar 'HSE' in the UK as in Belgium
total hypothetical price would be £27905 which is about 41.857,50 which is a small difference really considering the fact cars in the UK are normally a lot more expensive than in Belgium.

Post #2299 6th Apr 2007 4:00 pm
Paul

Belgium 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey

Interesting comparison. Well done. Thumbs Up

Post #2300 6th Apr 2007 4:51 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>