« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Auto cutout not working
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
realspeed

United Kingdom 
Auto cutout not working

My freelander has this eco stop/start auto engine cut out thing which when stopped one puts foot on clutch-handbrake on -take out of gear- foot off clutch and the engine cuts out or supposed to. Foot back on clutch and engine starts, or that is what it is supposed to do ,but mine doesn't work

The push button switch on the dash works and is shown on the panel as being on but looks as if the mechanical part fails (nothing happens when stopped). I know its not supposed to work below a certain temperature but it should when outside temperature is well into double figures.

When I had the car serviced in march I said about this as it was the final warranty service but they said it was too cold to test. Now its out of warranty I don't know exactly how I warranty wise stand or if it is a simple fix I can do myself. This was with Stafford Landrover

So if anyone can point me in the right direction as to the faulty part (possibly a photo) and if its a fix it yourself item I would be most gratiful

Click image to enlarge

Realspeed Ex 2010 Freelander2 GS-e Diesel manual Silver owner

Post #185088 23rd May 2013 5:19 pm
taztastic

England 

Possibly an electrical gremlin somewhere, there are many things that will prevent the car engine from stopping, electrical load, ie; lights, air con, heater and so on.
The battery must be very well charged, lots of short trips will lower the chances of a re start and so the system will keep running.
As for the garage, they are simply not bothered, the car can be plugged into a computer, it's not rocket science to be able to tell the car everything is fine and test the unit in the workshop in simulation, to say it was too cold to test is plain bone idle, the problem is they don't know how or are more interested sucking oil from the sump and money from your wallet for an easy life.

Post #185091 23rd May 2013 5:33 pm
realspeed

United Kingdom 

Thanks for the reply Taz

The cars battery appears to be well charged as no problem starting, although I recognise this is no indicator of battery condition. This doesn't work with nothing else on as suggested, but the daily trip is about 12 miles only. I am thinking along the lines of a solenoid problem ,possible a bad electrical connection, the thing is I don't know where it is if there is one that is.
The car has only done about 18,000 miles in 3 years.

If its just an electrical connection problem where would you suggest I start looking? as I said the dash shows it working

Just put the battery on a charger and it is charging at the rate of 3.5 amps which I know is quite high, so will leave it on overnight. Correction now down to a steady2 amps, so I recon the battery should be fairly well charged up judging by the speed the charge rate is dropping. 1.5 amp drop in 10 minutes

Post #185093 23rd May 2013 5:47 pm
ad210358

England 

I wouldn't worry regarding the out of warranty, I've always found with LR, if you report the problem before the warranty ends and they don't find the fault or cure the problem and a few months later when the warranty expires they will stand by you, I had a Gearbox changed, reported two months before the warranty ended, no fault found, three months after the warranty expired so did the gearbox. p****d off with a Digital Keyboard Warrior

Post #185095 23rd May 2013 6:35 pm
realspeed

United Kingdom 

Good to know AD thanks for the reply Ex 2010 Freelander2 GS-e Diesel manual Silver owner

Post #185097 23rd May 2013 6:39 pm
Stevie5tapes

England 2013 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Auto Sumatra Black

My stop start has just started working after about 5 months of not working. Surprisingly it started working after jump starting the works van. There are many things that can stop the system working. Maybe the battery is low? But also the weather has been cold and I believe external temperatures play a part in the system too. Black MY2013 SD4 GS Auto, Wood Company Armrest, Freel2 sticker.
Gone MY2010 Freelander 2 Manual TD4.e S, Alaska White.

Post #185127 23rd May 2013 9:24 pm
realspeed

United Kingdom 

Thats interesting Stevie, it working after 5 months, yes temperature does have an influence on it working or not. the battery issue could be a cause.

thanks for your thoughts

realspeed Ex 2010 Freelander2 GS-e Diesel manual Silver owner

Post #185134 23rd May 2013 9:38 pm
Nairbr

Australia 2012 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Orkney Grey

Mine didn't work for about 8 days after it was in the panel shop.

Then the other day I was taking my sister to the airport early in the morning and I was stopped at a set of lights and it started working again and its been working ever since.

I can only put it down to is having the demisters on, which turns the aircon on. It could just coincidence, but I had tried about everything to get to work again. Maybe the battery just needs a sudden voltage drop to kick it back into action.

The only other times it had stopped working was after a service, it didn't work for 2 days.

Post #185152 24th May 2013 1:53 am
realspeed

United Kingdom 

Now this is interesting, I thought I was the only one with this problem but it appears to be more common than I imagined. Maybe Land Rover should investigate why this is happening to so many.

Post #185189 24th May 2013 10:17 am
Chris B

United Kingdom 

I am not sure that all the incidences of it "not working" are a fault.
There is clearly a complicated algorithm in there that decides when to (and when not to) stop the engine and it is very protective of the battery it seems. I was recently in ECO-STOP at a long queue for roadworks lights 14 miles into a journey (I.e. plenty of battery recovery after cranking) and the engine restarted without me doing anything; no lights apart from DRLs, no radio, no wipers or heated window, A/C OFF and just ventilation on automatic. Gone... 2013 XS TD4 Manual Firenze Red
Gone... 2008 (09MY) XS Td4 Manual Stornaway Grey
Prior... 2003 G4 Discovery 2, 1998 Disco 1 and 1997 Disco 1 Company car before that
Also gone in Nov'13, after 7.5 yrs, to new owners with time for more TLC - 1980 Series III 88
Current 2015 Discovery Sport HSE 2.0

Post #185198 24th May 2013 10:59 am
Boycey

England 2013 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Santorini Black

This is a very common issue. My previous (59 plate) FL2 went 2 years without the eco-feature operating, then, in the summer last year, it started to work again. As others have said, the list of things that have to be 'OK' for the feature to operate is a very long one. In the end I forgot all about it; after all, the savings in real life are tiny, and in the long run it might be better anyway to subject the car to fewer start/stop cycles than it is save a spoonful of diesel.

My new 13MY operates much more often, but the dealer told me that was due to revised temperature criteria. Now it operates down to 1 or 2 degrees, where previously it was 6 or 7.

I think this is a feature that simply gets the OEM over the line (together with no spare wheel etc) on some very specific and detailed emission tests, but in the real world has next to no benefit.

Post #185291 25th May 2013 8:43 am
Kola's Kab

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Lago Grey

Hi,

Sorry to disagree Boyce, but I think the savings in fuel on the average 'mixed driving journey', make it very worthwhile!

The extra workload on the battery, starter motor, and alternator, are compensated for by the fact that these components are all uprated for the 'e' models, and there have been several posts on here stating the reliability of the whole system on some high mileage cars.

Now on the subject of the operational criteria, as we use ours more, one thing has become very noticeable. Every other week the car is used on a 135m trip on Monday, then parked up and not used until the return trip on Friday. The following week it is used daily on small short runs, anything from 5 to 20 miles.

After the long runs, the eco system works very well and quickly, even before the engine has reached full operating temperature. After a week of short runs, it still works, but much more intermittently, the conclusion being that the battery has to be in top condition for full operation.

Lastly, last Mondays's run returned an amazing 46.2mpg! Yesterday's return, 42.7mpg, but that was with a very strong (almost gale strength) headwind all the way, which just goes to show 'external' factors play an important part in economy! Kola is the big solid black German Shepherd, Dobbie is.......a breed you've never heard of......yet;)

Post #185301 25th May 2013 11:49 am
rchrdleigh

England 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Baltic Blue

Eco Stop/Start will save fuel each time the engine stops for longer than 3 seconds.

The engine will not automatically stop if:
• The external temperature is below approximately 0°C (32°F).
• The external temperature is above approximately 35°C (95°F).
• Engine has not reached operating temperature.
• Driver’s seat belt is not fastened.
• Driver’s door is not fully closed.
• The driver’s foot is on either the clutch or accelerator pedals.
• Climate control system demand is high.
• Battery charge is low.
• The DPF is regenerating.
• HDC or a Terrain Response special program are selected.

Post #185359 25th May 2013 9:20 pm
realspeed

United Kingdom 

Guess what the auto stop/start worked today, outside temp 14c, if that is anything to go by Ex 2010 Freelander2 GS-e Diesel manual Silver owner

Post #186742 6th Jun 2013 9:45 pm
Stevie5tapes

England 2013 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Auto Sumatra Black

I charged the battery recently and the stop start works really well now. I've noticed that sometimes when at lights etc I've had the fan blower set quite high, when I turn the fan down the engine cuts out. Black MY2013 SD4 GS Auto, Wood Company Armrest, Freel2 sticker.
Gone MY2010 Freelander 2 Manual TD4.e S, Alaska White.

Post #186747 6th Jun 2013 9:56 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>