Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > LR Dealer Servicing - ouch!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
ozjeff62

Australia 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Ipanema Sand
LR Dealer Servicing - ouch!

I have to admit I've often thought it's a bit harsh to refer to these guys as 'main stealers', but strewth, credit where credit is due ...

Took my Freeo to a LR dealer for it's 7 year/125,000 km service. First time I've been to one.

I had asked for a quote when booking. As we walked to the car the rep mentioned it would be $900.

I unintentionally stopped and queried what they were going to do. He muttered something, then I heard "pollen filter". "And we check everything"

Rolling with laughter

I cancelled on the spot. An oil and filter change for $900?

Unbelievable. A lot of people have more money than sense, or are earning way too much.

So, would that be an A B or C service?

Post #356677 12th Sep 2018 9:27 am
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

I recall reading once that the army had done a study on cost of maintenance on it's vehicles (probably a lot of LR Defenders) and came to the conclusion that regular maintenance was not cost effective and that apart from oil and filter changes it was cheaper to let something break and then fix it. (this is assuming that you are not fighting a war at the time of course). I then got thinking about my wife's 56 reg Peugeot 207 1.4 petrol which she bought in 2009 and has only just gone over 50k miles has a 20k service interval, I checked the service book and the last time I did an oil change/service was in 2011 !! She only does about 3k miles/year. The only jobs I have done on it have been new discs and pads, replaced rear brake cylinders (seized due to lack of use I guess) and two years ago I replaced the cambelt and rear springs.
Given that these days you don't go around all joints with a grease gun I regard servicing as part of the cost of keeping your warranty as apart from oil/filter changes everything else is just giving things the once over. 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #356679 12th Sep 2018 9:47 am
Bobupndown

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Orkney Grey

Absolutely ridiculous. You'd do a better job yourself using genuine filters for a tenth of the price. Shocked Landrover - turning owners into mechanics since 1948

2014 Orkney grey Freelander SD4 GS.
2004 Zambezi silver Discovery 2 Td5 (Gone)
1963 Surf blue Morris Mini Minor Super de Luxe (my little toy)

Post #356680 12th Sep 2018 9:48 am
RogB

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

When you read the servicing schedule and see what they actually do its actually only basic fluids and filters and the rest is check and maybe top up.

In UK you are not required to have your brand new £50,000 car serviced at the main dealer to keep the warranty so long as it is serviced according to manufacturer guidelines using genuine or better parts, and by a VAT registered garage........ and this is why a lot of manufacturers now have online service history as the ONLY way you can get a service history is through them, but they don't like giving out the information due to data protection !

ive recently bought a 2011 Evoque, 46k miles on the clock, full LR service history (with receipts) but when I rang the LR dealer who had carried out most of the servicing to ask about any additional work that had been done they cited data protection and the need to ask the last registered owner for permission.

the Ewok was bought from a car supermarket, and I paid an extra £490 for 3 years servicing and free MOT, which works out substantially cheaper even than going to my favoured independent garage.

Post #356682 12th Sep 2018 10:05 am
tenet

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Orkney Grey

and this is why a lot of manufacturers now have online service history as the ONLY way you can get a service history is through them, but they don't like giving out the information due to data protection !

I have put up a post regarding the Online Service History (OSH.landrover.com) site whereby you used to be able to upload service history from independents. This facility would seem to have been withdrawn. I have just had full service plus mot plus front and rear pads plus a litre of oil from a trusted Indy for the princely sum of £409. I'm flucked if I am going to use a LR dealer especially as they normally put a 4 yo plus car into auction and dont seem to give a toss about prior service history.

If you sell privately you can always show service invoices as the buyer will probably not have access to the LR system. MY 09 GS manual in Lago Grey, Wood Co arm rest and side bumper strips - now sold.

MY 15 SD4 SE Auto Orkney Grey with colour coded Bumper Door Mouldings

Post #356685 12th Sep 2018 11:51 am
Bobupndown

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Orkney Grey

I sold my 14 year old, 165000 mile Td5 Discovery 2 to a private buyer with a thick file of receipts for parts and consumables (mostly fitted by myself). The buyer was delighted, not expecting any history with an old car. Loved and cherished cars are out there and I often think better than those with history from a main dealer.. Landrover - turning owners into mechanics since 1948

2014 Orkney grey Freelander SD4 GS.
2004 Zambezi silver Discovery 2 Td5 (Gone)
1963 Surf blue Morris Mini Minor Super de Luxe (my little toy)

Post #356689 12th Sep 2018 12:27 pm
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

Just put all the receipts in a lever arch folder. Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #356696 12th Sep 2018 1:02 pm
j77

Scotland 

What’s the difference between a loved and cherished car to one with a full LR service history? Isn’t it the same thing?

Mines always been dealer maintained but I have all invoices for all work/parts/accessories bought

My D4 was serviced by the dealer, no book to stamp but I got an invoice of the work carried out. 21MY Defender 90 S 3.0 D200

Post #356707 12th Sep 2018 4:06 pm
JulesK

Wales 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Firenze Red

Harsh that in OP to say people have more money than sense as not everyone is gifted in the art of servicing and some ( myself included) are not able bodied enough to carry out servicing.any more Perhaps they see us coming ( limping ) towards them and think"easy money" But what choice have some folk got.? If it wasn't so bad it'd be funny.

🐑
Freelander 2 HSE auto 2014 ( Florrie ) ..... Try again.
Freelander 2 GS 2012...... Gone.

Post #356714 12th Sep 2018 5:03 pm
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red

Jules Its not great when the mind is willing and the body of a 20 year old blond is out of the question. Laughing

One would hope you could find a local garage to keep you serviced up as the service items as listed are not that hard to do by anyone in the trade. FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #356727 12th Sep 2018 8:32 pm
Lightwater

Yorky Bob wrote:
Jules Its not great when the mind is willing and the body of a 20 year old blond is out of the question. Laughing

I can't remember why I once had an interest in 20 year old blonds! But it is easier to change the air filter on the car than change the HEPA filter on my vacuum!

Click image to enlarge
 Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #356736 12th Sep 2018 9:09 pm
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red

What you do with the Vacuum stays with the Vacuum:

https://worldnewsdailyreport.com/saudi-man...m-cleaner/

Makes a change from these I guess Sheep FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #356738 12th Sep 2018 9:18 pm
Lightwater

A famous Australian inventor. At 3:27 reference to a vacuum. http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/progra...ic/9653392

One more use for my onboard triple compressor with upgraded venturi vacuum system which can suck a tennis ball through a garden hose! Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Post #356739 12th Sep 2018 9:45 pm
ozjeff62

Australia 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Ipanema Sand

JulesK wrote:
Harsh that in OP to say people have more money than sense as not everyone is gifted in the art of servicing and some ( myself included) are not able bodied enough to carry out servicing.any more Perhaps they see us coming ( limping ) towards them and think"easy money" But what choice have some folk got.?

Jules, you're correct, but there are also independent mechanics and franchises. These also qualify for your warranty to be maintained. It depends how much you're wiling to pay someone to say "Yep looks good to me".

Post #356752 13th Sep 2018 8:48 am
JulesK

Wales 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Firenze Red

YB all Indy's want as much as dealership in £££'s for servicing so may as well stick with them!! Perhaps that's the downside of being out in the sticks.

Lightwatert,, shame you're not closer as I'd do your vacuum filter if you'd do my service Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

(Ex Hoover engineer) RETIRED.

Sheep If it wasn't so bad it'd be funny.

🐑
Freelander 2 HSE auto 2014 ( Florrie ) ..... Try again.
Freelander 2 GS 2012...... Gone.

Post #356753 13th Sep 2018 8:56 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>