Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > LR Dealer Servicing - ouch!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
RogB

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

my local preferred Indy charges very similar prices to LR discounted prices (about £300 for a main service) and uses only quality parts (normally OEM or Bosch) but I trust the my garage to do a better job of the whole check list and not rip me off for additional work (LR always seem to warn you your brakes are low on the healthcheck)

Post #356757 13th Sep 2018 9:27 am
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

Wife's Peugeot mentioned above (the one that was last serviced in 2011) got through MOT yesterday at Kwik Fit with no advisories. Anyone want to buy a grease gun? 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #356761 13th Sep 2018 9:58 am
JulesK

Wales 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Firenze Red

To be fair to them they haven't said that more work required so maybe I do have more money than sense and will stick with them and also this OSH completion is something to think of. Not that I even thinking of selling

The garage I used with the Grand Vitara has given me prices with me getting service kit but it worked out the same as dealer Sad If it wasn't so bad it'd be funny.

🐑
Freelander 2 HSE auto 2014 ( Florrie ) ..... Try again.
Freelander 2 GS 2012...... Gone.

Post #356774 13th Sep 2018 12:31 pm
LR2hselux

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Sumatra Black

The difference in using a dealer is they have greater experience with the vehicles, know what to look for, know what the vehicles should sound like and drive like. They also know if there is any issues on the vehicle the correct fix, which can be as easy as a hard reset or a software update which could solve hundreds in the long run. The issues with dealers is they are only supposed to use genuine parts which can be more expensive than pattern parts, they also have be cautious with estimates of life left in a component as LR owners can vary greatly in the life of components on their vehicles depending on the type of driving and if they are used off road regularly. One other thing that you may not have considered is some customers value their time very highly, preferring to spend money on repairs before they become essential to eliminate more than 1 visit to a dealer a year. Most dealers also do reduced price servicing and repairs at lower prices for 3 year plus cars.

Post #357694 26th Sep 2018 8:17 pm
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter and I worked at main dealers on Jags, Land Rover etc quite sometime ago. WE WERE ON BONUS and the more of your money I spent the more I had to watch Leeds United. Shocked FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #357695 26th Sep 2018 8:22 pm
LR2hselux

I work at a LR dealer now, we are not on bonus. See how times change

Post #357696 26th Sep 2018 8:26 pm
BossBob

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

So the indy’s and dealers down here in Bristol have missed a trick. I’d had a road speed related whine for probably 4 years. It didn’t go when tyres were swapped around or winter set of tyres was fitted and was audible even at city speeds. I always made a point of asking if there was anything else that was threatening to fail and nothing was mentioned and they all seemed to farm out mot’s and would have driven the car to the mot site. I booked the car in to Bell engineering for a Haldex service and check of the diff and drove back to Bristol with a different car and a lighter wallet, just not as light and with a better diff than if I’d got the same work done by a dealer or Indy.

Post #357697 26th Sep 2018 8:45 pm
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red

I feel your pain, I could double my basic wage back then. Shocked Then we we had no lifts, on your back underneath with melting snow dripping down. Lucky if it got above freezing.

The smart move though was re-training and working in a nice warm office for 22 years looking at ................. computers. Whistle They even gave me a pension and I could retire at 60. FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #357698 26th Sep 2018 8:48 pm
Jack frost

United Kingdom 

LR2hselux wrote:
The difference in using a dealer is they have greater experience with the vehicles, know what to look for, know what the vehicles should sound like and drive like. They also know if there is any issues on the vehicle the correct fix, which can be as easy as a hard reset or a software update which could solve hundreds in the long run. The issues with dealers is they are only supposed to use genuine parts which can be more expensive than pattern parts, they also have be cautious with estimates of life left in a component as LR owners can vary greatly in the life of components on their vehicles depending on the type of driving and if they are used off road regularly. One other thing that you may not have considered is some customers value their time very highly, preferring to spend money on repairs before they become essential to eliminate more than 1 visit to a dealer a year. Most dealers also do reduced price servicing and repairs at lower prices for 3 year plus cars.

Greater experience Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter like when I was in a Main Dealer last year when a customer had brought his car in for a service & they had put ADBLUE into the screen wash bottle. Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Post #357702 26th Sep 2018 9:13 pm
dondiddy

United Kingdom 2012 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Firenze Red

ADBLUE in the washer bottle? How would the customer know this? ADBLUE isn`t blue it`s clear and is mostly water anyway! Whistle

Post #357704 26th Sep 2018 9:22 pm
Jack frost

United Kingdom 

Apparently his screen had turned white when he tried to wash the screen.

Post #357706 26th Sep 2018 9:37 pm
Jack frost

United Kingdom 

[quote="dondiddy"]ADBLUE in the washer bottle? How would the customer know this? ADBLUE isn`t blue it`s clear and is mostly water anyway! Whistle[/quote

Maybe I should top up my wife’s M Benz adblue bottle with water then and save some cash Thumbs Up

Post #357707 26th Sep 2018 9:41 pm
LR2hselux

Quite difficult to do that as the adblue LR rig has a screw thread which screws onto the adblue connector, then has to have a valve opened up to allow flow through, customers using the bottles put the stuff everywhere, we regularly have customers come in who have put water in brake reservoirs, pas reservoirs, dynamic suspension reservoirs, or spray it over engine bays. Adblue fluid dries into white crystals which show a telltale mess wherever it’s spilt. Get a LR service plan and adblue is supplied and fitted free of charge.

Post #357710 26th Sep 2018 10:00 pm
Milothedog

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Aintree Green

LR2hselux wrote:

I have mine on a 5 year service contract with my local dealer, a very good deal and includes 50% off MOT's. I did have some concerns at the service before last though when I asked them to change the 12n & 12s sockets to a 13 pin euro socket . They phoned me up to ask if I still wanted to keep the Grey one and just fit the the new black one. Laughing When I pointed out they didn't know what they were talking about they got the technician to speak to me who told me the same thing so I explained the differences and that it was a simple case of unplug one harness and plug the other in Whistle as well as telling him I also worked in the motor trade until I retired so did know what I was talking about Whistle

Another one was on my Son's TD4, which was showing a DTC for low boost pressure, Technician diagnosed it needed a new oil separator. When I asked for an explanation he wouldn't talk to me. I scanned and deleted it. job done Thumbs Up

Other end of the scale was the LR assist guy who diagnosed my Son's TD4 cold starting issue. Dealer tried 4 times with no success by assist guy found a faulty cam position sensor.

There are good and bad technicians i'm afraid and some people just get caught out.

P.s when at work we ran a fleet of 2000 buses which were fueled every night, split urea (add blue) made the floor in fueling area look like it was covered in ice. 2007 TD4 XS The work horse that earns its up keep
2013 SD4 HSE The posh one for towing the caravan
1973 Triumph Stag I bought in 2009 and restored.

Post #357726 27th Sep 2018 8:56 am
Mikey

Scotland 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Baltic Blue

Main dealer servicing - Done to a price, not a standard

You will find much better service (and prices) at a well respected Indy Thumbs Up

Post #357744 27th Sep 2018 10:40 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>