Home > General > Morons
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
Jimboland

England 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Santorini Black

jules wrote:
IanMetro wrote:

PS On the subject of fog, I do not think that anyone under the age of 60 has ever experienced real 'pea soup' fog.
We knew how to do pollution in the good old days.

You could stand in the middle of the road and not see either kerb, and it smelt of coal fires

I remember going home from school during the great smog of 1950 something (can't remember the exact year) and I could not see my hand at arms' length in front of my face. I had to hold on to the school fence to guide me. I knew that there was one pedestrian and three vehicle entrances to the school along the fence and that I had to cross the road between the second and third vehicle entrances to get to the street where I lived. Somehow I managed to get it right and arrive home safely.

J

Post #355708 28th Aug 2018 8:56 am
Labrover

Belgium 

Jimboland wrote:
Fog lights are for use in fog or falling snow only as are rear "high intensity" lights. Using either in heavy rain is unhelpful.

But rain is not all bad; it lubricates your tyres and makes them last longer!!!

J

Over here in Belgium its a legal obligation to use your rear high intensity or fog lights with heavy rain. You can also get fined for using them when it's not necessary!

Post #355802 29th Aug 2018 9:37 am
tenet

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Orkney Grey

I think it was 1952 the great London smog - as Jimbo says it was so thick you literally could only see a yard or two through the thick yellow mist. Breathing through a handkerchief rendered it black with soot. Thousands died of respiratory disease and it heralded the introduction of the clean air act. MY 09 GS manual in Lago Grey, Wood Co arm rest and side bumper strips - now sold.

MY 15 SD4 SE Auto Orkney Grey with colour coded Bumper Door Mouldings

Post #355805 29th Aug 2018 9:57 am
ad210358

England 

IanMetro wrote:

Once I am having difficulty seeing the cars ahead on the motorway (or other high speed roads) in heavy daytime spray, I put my rear 'high intensity' lights on.

Rolling Eyes
No thought for anyone else, doesn’t matter if it’s day or night, on many vehicles they still dazzle other motorists with the spray, that’s why it is an offence to use them in the rain. p****d off with a Digital Keyboard Warrior

Post #355850 29th Aug 2018 6:50 pm
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

ad210358
I DO constantly THINK about the safety of myself and other drivers, how do you know otherwise?

The rule says
Rule 226. You MUST use headlights when visibility is seriously reduced, generally when you cannot see for more than 100 metres (328 feet). You may also use front or rear fog lights but you MUST switch them off when visibility improves (see Rule 236).
Rule 236
You MUST NOT use front or rear fog lights unless visibility is seriously reduced (see Rule 226) as they dazzle other road users and can obscure your brake lights. You MUST switch them off when visibility improves.

I see no mention of the offence of driving with lights on in the rain.

I am greatly influenced in my decisions by advice I gained on a Defensive Driving Course, run by my firm, which had an ex-police instructor for both the classroom and practical parts. Seeing and being seen was taken as an important part of driving savely. FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 74k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #355862 29th Aug 2018 8:02 pm
j77

Scotland 

In heavy rain with a lot of surface water and spray where visibility is seriously reduced rear fog lights may be used but not in light rain or drizzle. 21MY Defender 90 S 3.0 D200

Post #355864 29th Aug 2018 8:47 pm
Labrover

Belgium 

j77 wrote:
In heavy rain with a lot of surface water and spray where visibility is seriously reduced rear fog lights may be used but not in light rain or drizzle.

I also find that the colour of the car has an influence on how well it can be seen in heavy rain. Grey/silver cars are especially difficult to see unless they have their rear fog lights on.

Post #355872 30th Aug 2018 6:28 am
ad210358

England 

ad210358 wrote:
IanMetro wrote:

Once I am having difficulty seeing the cars ahead on the motorway (or other high speed roads) in heavy daytime spray, I put my rear 'high intensity' lights on.

Rolling Eyes
No thought for anyone else, doesn’t matter if it’s day or night, on many vehicles they still dazzle other motorists with the spray, that’s why it is an offence to use them in the rain.

It is an offence to dazzle other road users though.
If the spray is so bad, ever thought of lifting your right foot Question
You actually make yourself harder to see with your rear fogs on in the rain, the glare causes other drivers to look away from you, they also mask your brake lights.
I suspect your one of the drivers that when in a line of traffic on the motorway with their rear fogs on, drivers further back every now and then see one of your rear fogs appear, think it’s brake light causing them to brake, then the next one, then the next one and so on. p****d off with a Digital Keyboard Warrior

Post #356901 14th Sep 2018 7:37 pm
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

j77 wrote:
In heavy rain with a lot of surface water and spray where visibility is seriously reduced rear fog lights may be used but not in light rain or drizzle.

Exactly, if the car in front disappears in the spray as it passes a lorry then so will you become invisible to the car behind you - its time to turn your rear high intensity lights on.

Just remember to turn them off again. Jules

Post #356904 14th Sep 2018 8:28 pm
jules

ad210358 wrote:

How does that make your car easier to see ?
I'd have thought the last thing you want is someone suddenly slowing down without their brake lights coming on when visibility is so poor judging other cars' speed is difficult.

However Im probably being pedantic and you mean people should just drive at reduced speeds in bad weather as the time you have to take avoiding measures is much reduced - this I totally agree with. Jules

Post #356905 14th Sep 2018 8:35 pm
jules

Labrover wrote:
j77 wrote:

I also find that the colour of the car has an influence on how well it can be seen in heavy rain. Grey/silver cars are especially difficult to see unless they have their rear fog lights on.

Yes they are indeed , but their drivers seem to be completely unaware of the fact that they become invisible to other drivers in rain etc much sooner than other colours of cars. Jules

Post #356906 14th Sep 2018 8:38 pm
IanMetro

ad210358

You will see that I am talking about daytime with poor visibility and being seen. At night, normal rear lights should be sufficient in heavy rain.

As I said previously, I got a lot of my ideas from attending a Defensive Driving Course, which was aimed at safer driving and lower insurance costs/ repair bills for my firm. It was very informative and made me think about how I drove.

I can't tell from the forum where you live or drive, but I expect that someone does a similar course somewhere near you.

Try booking yourself on one, if they are still available, they are quite interesting, especially the practical driving bit.

PS My course was not about driving slowly, and included how to make progress safely in normal traffic flows. FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)

Post #356907 14th Sep 2018 8:39 pm
Mowog

jules wrote:
ad210358 wrote:

I'd have thought the last thing you want is someone suddenly slowing down without their brake lights coming on when visibility is so poor judging other cars' speed is difficult.

However Im probably being pedantic and you mean people should just drive at reduced speeds in bad weather as the time you have to take avoiding measures is much reduced - this I totally agree with.

Why does this remind me of Michael Schumaker and David Coulthard ? Rolling with laughter

Post #356911 14th Sep 2018 8:47 pm
IanMetro

jules wrote:
ad210358 wrote:

However Im probably being pedantic and you mean people should just drive at reduced speeds in bad weather as the time you have to take avoiding measures is much reduced - this I totally agree with.

I agree that you should turn your HI Rear lights off as soon as the rain / spray event is past.

Also on the subject of speed, I note that quite a few drivers have forgotten about aquaplaning, and/or standing water on the motorway. Tyres seem better these days at moving water, and we seem to be able to travel above the old 45mph? limit, but if you go to fast in heavy rain you may find yourself backing into the barrier.

Interestingly, the LR instructor at LR Experience Honiton, suggested that the snow/ ice setting on the Terrain Response would be useful in heavy rain, as it was designed to counter one wheel slipping (aquaplaning ?) -- but that probably starts a new argument! FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)

Post #356912 14th Sep 2018 8:55 pm
Dartman the one

England 

With decent tread you will aquaplane at 9 x sq root of your tyre pressure. those towing heavy trailers or caravans will find that the the trailer or van won't aquaplane at legal limits due to much higher tyre pressures. my PC is slightly to the right of Genghis
2012 HSE SD4 In Orkney Grey now gone, best car ever.

Post #356925 15th Sep 2018 6:46 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>