Home > General > Reliability - Manual or Auto
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Jimboland

England 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Santorini Black

Northcroft wrote:
personally I think if you drive properly your clutch will be fine. Thumbs Up

I agree. However, I think when you have had a good auto, and the SD4 auto is good, you won't want to go back to a manual.

J

Post #355521 24th Aug 2018 9:24 am
ianfish

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Santorini Black

SD4 Auto here as well, never thought I would say that! Rolling with laughter MY 2013 SD GS Auto

Post #355522 24th Aug 2018 9:29 am
ronp

Scotland 

Had an Auto in the D3 then the D4.
But got a Manual in the FL2, because .... that's what the car came with and it's absolutely fine [ & I believe better fuel economy than the auto].
However, my preference would be Auto. FL2 now gone and have a couple of items left for sale:-

Brodit active iPhone holder + Brodit dash clip,
Bluetooth Music Streaming Module.

Post #355523 24th Aug 2018 9:50 am
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

IanMetro wrote:
I agree with RogB.

SD4 Auto is the one to get true LR driving experience.

If you are over-worried about fuel consumption, the FL2 is the wrong car for you. Many other smaller SUV type vehicles are out there now, they look as if they are off-roaders, even if they are not!

My sister has a diesel Evoque, if only you could get petrol engines up there! So much nicer! Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #355525 24th Aug 2018 9:56 am
RogB

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

we can but they are rare.... Si4 240bhp

Post #355526 24th Aug 2018 10:22 am
Scotshighlander

Scotland 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Lago Grey

Hi, I've got a 2010 GS TD4.E (34,000 miles) with a manual box. I have to say the gearchange is excellent and has a nice "notchy" feel to it, no clutch problems whatsoever. Also to say I love the steering, it's very direct and well balanced. Happy choosing!

Post #356003 31st Aug 2018 4:36 pm
rnlisg

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black
Re: Reliability - Manual or Auto

StevieM wrote:
Hi folks,

New here, so please be kind! Have finally decided to buy a FL2 and currently looking at various ones for sale. Looking at a 2013-onwards model, with low-ish mileage (under 60k). Preferably one without a tow bar, on the basis of less chance of it being sha**ed by towing stuff.

Big question - I much prefer manual boxes, but am hesitant to go for one because of stories that keep popping up here and elsewhere on the net around manual boxes. Delicate clutches, etc. Am I just asking for trouble by going for a manual, or are they not as bad as stories suggest? Are autos that very much more reliable?

Not wanting to go near a debate on the wonder/ease/magicalness of driving manual v auto - just reliability and advice on whether to buy on that basis.

Thanks all in advance.

don't worry about the towbar,these cars are made for towing,but,the auto is a far better drive especially if you want to go a bit off road(or no road) Cool manuals are ok but when I had mine I had to have the clutch assy replaced main stealer wanted nearly £2000, Shocked Big Cry got it done at a lr indy for £1300.then a few months later bit the bullet and got my hse auto :thumbsup:very relaxing drive sporty if you want. gone
P38 v8 auto no problems,great howle from exhausts when giving it welly
Td5 auto head gasket,no5 pot not uncommon but good car.
1st Tdv6s manual epb problem fixed under warranty(stealer said"never heard of this before,i suggested he looked at d3 forum.
2nd Tdv6 se auto epb
3rd Tdv6 xs auto 2008,swmbo,s favourite.

Post #356425 8th Sep 2018 2:15 pm
Andy131

United Kingdom 

OK I'm firmly in the auto camp, for a couple of reasons, one being I am a Censored driver, totally and brutally unsympathetic - I can destroy a Land Rover clutch in 10,000 miles, and again at 30,000 and again at 50,000.

The other being the FL2 auto is brilliant, a word of warning, the auto WILL need an oil change at around 75k, very expensive at a dealer (£400+) a less than half that at an indy. I don't give a monkeys what LR say, others use the same box and insist on oil changes at set mileages. The box is bomb proof, and is well suited to the car. Fuel economy will suffer, but if you are buying a two tonne 4x4 why is fuel economy high on your priority list? Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #356476 9th Sep 2018 1:49 pm
rnlisg

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

All my previous Lr,s bar my first d3 were auto,s.i don't think the clutch is up to the mark on the fl2.it seems to be the Achilles heel on what is a very good car.especially if you are going off road Whistle
Ref the auto fluid change it is really very simple,not overly expensive,but satisfying when you have done it,I also did it on my mates as well.there are some excellent posts on here with full details on how to do it.took me about 3 hours inc getting the car up on ramps(x4)which I made up.
The parts I bought was a sort of socket from flea bay for the sump drain was around £6.alloy crush washers from land rover approx £3,a long necked plastic funnel £2.99 and the correct auto fluid for my model (10ltrs)for the "dump and fill method"was approx £55 inc del.
Our friend from Russia who has sent some excellent "how to video,s"made his own sump nut remover.
Also read dunkley201 on a very good post on how to do it.(cheers Bob Bow down ) gone
P38 v8 auto no problems,great howle from exhausts when giving it welly
Td5 auto head gasket,no5 pot not uncommon but good car.
1st Tdv6s manual epb problem fixed under warranty(stealer said"never heard of this before,i suggested he looked at d3 forum.
2nd Tdv6 se auto epb
3rd Tdv6 xs auto 2008,swmbo,s favourite.

Last edited by rnlisg on 9th Sep 2018 4:59 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #356478 9th Sep 2018 2:17 pm
Prisoner359

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Tonga Green

My FL2 07 plate had 45k on the clock and was fitted with a towbar when I bought it.

It was the first auto box car I'd bought.

The only tow related issues I inherited were rear leaky shock absorbers at about 90k. They were replaced under warranty.

I've had it 6 years now. It's done 133k and still going strong.

I'm a definite convert to auto boxes. Don't think I'd buy a manual after my experience with this vehicle.

All in all really pleased with my FL2.

My only advice would be have patience. I waited about 3 months before I found the right vehicle for me. Just set up a few saved searches on Auto Trader and kept looking at the LR approved used site too.

Good luck with your search Thumbs Up Discovery 4 HSE - Aintree Green
Freelander 2 TD4 SE Automatic - Tonga Green
Defender XS - Tonga Green - Gone Now
Freelander 1 Td4 ES Manual - Epsom Green - Gone Now *
Freelander 1 Td4 Kalahari SE - Epsom Green - Gone Now
Freelander 1 XEi - Epsom Green - Gone Now

www.greenlandrover.uk

Post #356479 9th Sep 2018 2:57 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12