Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Transmission fault - Traction reduced on start up every time
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Franklinp99

England 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Ipanema Sand

I had the same fault on startup, turns out a faulty drivers door lock was draining the battery. I changed the lock and it had a positive knock on effect of fixing the Transmission faults.

I'd look for anything that might be drawing excessive power from the battery. Current: MY11 SD4 HSE / Sterling Quartz 2010 caravan

Previous: MY11 TD4 GS / Bailey Bordeaux 2002 caravan

Post #353289 13th Jul 2018 9:27 pm
Stubbenoldgit

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Lux Auto Zermatt Silver

OP, the amber light to which I am referring is the illuminated icon on the terrain response setting dial. Circled in pic. On mine, when I got the error message, this light would go out, if I drove the vehicle and didn't touch the terrain response within a mile, occasionally two miles, the light would come back on, and terrain response would work normally, no message on shut down. This was cured by battery and second earth strap, though sticking the Cetek charger on would make it go away for some time.

If it didn't illuminate and reset again, plus message appeared on shut down then there was a fault, in my case a bit of replacement wiring loom connector to the Haldex cured it.

Something else to look at anyway, hope that helps.

Click image to enlarge

[/img]

Post #353291 13th Jul 2018 10:05 pm
aesmith

But the amber fault light is off. When our Haldex was stone dead the warning light stayed on all the time. ----------
Tony S

Post #353371 15th Jul 2018 3:11 pm
sussex-engineer

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Lago Grey

Stubbenoldgit wrote:
OP,
Quote:
the amber light to which I am referring is the illuminated icon on the terrain response setting dial. Circled in pic. On mine, when I got the error message, this light would go out, if I drove the vehicle and didn't touch the terrain response within a mile, occasionally two miles, the light would come back on, and terrain response would work normally, no message on shut down. This was cured by battery and second earth strap, though sticking the Cetek charger on would make it go away for some time.

If it didn't illuminate and reset again, plus message appeared on shut down then there was a fault, in my case a bit of replacement wiring loom connector to the Haldex cured it.

Something else to look at anyway, hope that helps.

Click image to enlarge

[/img]

The light is on when first start up, but within a few seconds (when i get the warning message) the light goes off.

Post #354283 1st Aug 2018 10:34 am
sussex-engineer

I took it to the Garage yesterday, they plugged in and it came up with LOTS of errors, the mechanic asked me if i had and central locking issues (as one of the errors was to do with that) but i had not had any issues with that, he has cleared all the codes and will check again in a few weeks to see if any have returned. The only permanent error is the Haldex pump open circuit, but i dont know if it is the pump or the wiring to it? I need to check the wiring and the pump before i go and buy a new pump.

Post #354284 1st Aug 2018 10:40 am
alex_pescaru

You can unplug the pump connector and measure and test the pump directly.
Just supply to the unplugged pump connector (the wires that goes to the pump) a 12V and see/feel if the pump is spinning.

Post #354285 1st Aug 2018 11:30 am
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red

If the car has not had the Haldex serviced it will have a lot of crud in the filters. FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #354305 1st Aug 2018 9:32 pm
sussex-engineer

A bit of an update.
I have had the car up on ramps, disconnected the pump and ecu, cleaned the connections etc, i have continuity through the pump, (i havent connected a 12v supply to it yet) , i have also checked the wiring that i can see from the haldex to where it disappears above the chasis.
There was no change in the error for a couple of weeks.
But now all of a sudden it does not error on start up, all the special programs work but after about 10 minutes of driving the error comes up again and will stay on for the duration of the journey.
Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you in advance.
Allan

Post #356515 10th Sep 2018 9:35 am
Andy131

United Kingdom 

Bob is right - if it's not had a Haldex service you are either looking at a unit that is actually failing or has failed.
You wouldn't believe the amount of crud that the filter catches, and a blocked filter will starve the pump, even the best of pumps will die without sufficient oil.
My advice would be to disconnect the pump until you can get the parts/time to do the job.

OK you will only have 2 wheel drive, you might just save the pump. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #356526 10th Sep 2018 12:37 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12