« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Diesel 2.2 won’t start - no fault codes
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
V8Lightweight

United Kingdom 
Diesel 2.2 won’t start - no fault codes

I have 2010 MY 2.2 Auto. EGR started playing up a while ago so blanked it as temp fix. But it went into reduced power mode and the OBD highlighted EGR and MAP. Had an EGR fitted by a local garage but didn’t cure reduced power. In fact it was worse. Car wouldn’t start initially but finally ran on reduced until we got it home. Fitted new MAP sensor today but no change. It barely starts, chugs for about 10secs then stops . But again no fault codes. It had a new high pressure fuel pump about 12mths ago so the fuel side should be okay. Really struggling now with the absence of fault codes. Had anyone any insight or ideas? Thank you

Post #353117 11th Jul 2018 12:42 pm
V8Lightweight

United Kingdom 

Ok. Bit more info. When I disconnect the plug on whatever this is, it runs smoothly. And when I plug it back in it runs like a pig again. Also when I disconnect a small puff of air is released as if there’s some pressure there. Anyone any idea what that “thing” is. I’ve looked for engine diagrams on the web but not found any. It’s next to the MAP sensor at the front of the engine.

Post #353132 11th Jul 2018 3:03 pm
V8Lightweight

United Kingdom 

It's that one.

Post #353134 11th Jul 2018 3:14 pm
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red

Item at lower left is the throttle body and an hour ago I was tempted to say check out your throttle body.

Often failed on older cars and off fleabay they are cheap enough to try and very doable at home.

Example:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-LAND-RO...0005.m1851 FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #353137 11th Jul 2018 4:23 pm
V8Lightweight

United Kingdom 

Yorky Bob thank you for the response. Sorry it's my lousy photography skills. Please see the below. It's the one my finger is pointing to. It sits near to the oil filler and has a pipe which runs over the top of the engine and down the back.

When I disconnected it and I started the engine, I ran it up to 2000rpm for about five seconds and the engine management fault light came on. I plugged in the OBD and its reading P245A.

So the situation is this:

new EGR fitted - Monday
new MAP fitted - Wednesday (today)
runs like a dog

Disconnect this sensor/switch/solenoid whatever it is and the engine appears to runs fine but I get P245A as an error code.

I hope that helps

Post #353142 11th Jul 2018 4:51 pm
Yorky Bob

You need the full 6 or 7 figure code to be precise but it may be as simple as a crossed hose or needing a full regeneration. This is what I can find in relation to P245. Your garage should have got to the bottom of it.

P245000Evaporative emission control system switching valve performance/stuck open
Evaporative emission control system switching valve (COV) circuit: short circuit to ground Evaporative emission control system switching valve (COV) circuit: open circuit Evaporative emission control system switching valve (COV) circuit: short circuit to power Evaporative emission control system switching valve (COV) fault
Check the COV and circuits. Refer to the electrical guides. Rectify as necessary. Install a new COV as necessary (the COV is integral with the fuel tank leakage monitoring pump)

P245100Evaporative emission control system switching valve stuck closed
Evaporative emission control system switching valve (COV) circuit: short circuit to ground Evaporative emission control system switching valve (COV) circuit: open circuit Evaporative emission control system switching valve (COV) circuit: short circuit to power Evaporative emission control system switching valve (COV) fault
Check the COV and circuits. Refer to the electrical guides. Rectify as necessary. Install a new COV as necessary (the COV is integral with the fuel tank leakage monitoring pump

'Reduced Engine Performance' or 'Engine System Fault' message displayed. Regeneration locked out (DTC P245300 also logged)
Particulate filter stationary corrected differential pressure below minimum
Differential pressure sensor hoses crossed over
'Reduced Engine Performance' or 'Engine System Fault' message displayed. Torque derate, regeneration locked out

(DTC P245500 also logged)
Particulate filter differential pressure sensor voltage above upper limit Sensor failure
Refer to the electrical circuit diagrams and check differential pressure sensor supply circuit for short to power. Install a new sensor as required
'Reduced Engine Performance' or 'Engine System Fault' message displayed. Torque derate, regeneration locked out

(DTC P245600 also logged)
Leaking or blocked differential pressure sensor hoses Differential pressure sensor circuit short, open circuit Sensor failure
Check for split/degraded, blocked differential pressure sensor hoses, refer to electrical circuit diagrams and check differential pressure sensor circuits for short, open circuit. Install a new sensor as required

'DPF Full' message displayed, with see hand book icon (DTC P245200 also logged)
Poor driving style, unable to facilitate regeneration
Refer driver to hand book

(DTC P245400 also logged)
Particulate filter differential pressure sensor voltage below lower limit Sensor failure
Refer to the electrical circuit diagrams and check differential pressure sensor supply circuit for short, open circuit. Install a new sensor as required FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #353145 11th Jul 2018 5:19 pm
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

I know it's not helping much but if it's a 2010 model he won't have a DPF. 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #353149 11th Jul 2018 5:39 pm
V8Lightweight

United Kingdom 

Dorset Freelander. Thank you. I found a post which says that if the eighth character on the VIN is the letter C then it does have a DPF. But that doesn't make sense as I thought DPFs were later MY onwards. Mine is SALFA2AC4BH and then the actual 6 digit number.

What I'm keen to find out is what have I disconnected? The car drives but it's in limp mode. But when that connector is plugged back in it simply won't run at all.

And also, is it possible that given it's such an awkward job that if the wiring plug which fits into the EGR is not pushed in properly or it's got some dirt in it, could that cause the issues I am having? The mechanic we use is brilliant. But he said afterwards if he had known what an awful job it was he wouldn't have done it.....

I've gone back to the supplier and checked on their website and the one they have sent is the same as the one taken off. See below.

Thank you

Post #353150 11th Jul 2018 5:49 pm
V8Lightweight

United Kingdom 

What I have just found is a split in the intercooler rubber pipe immediately below the throttle body. Possibly unrelated to the P245 fault I've got. But its something else in that area that I need to fix.

Post #353153 11th Jul 2018 6:15 pm
Yorky Bob

Fair chance a new inter-cooler hose will make a difference. FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #353155 11th Jul 2018 6:52 pm
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

If your inlet pipe looks like this then you definitely have a DPF, if it's got four "organ pipes sticking out of the big pipe then you do not have DPF.

3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #353161 11th Jul 2018 7:19 pm
V8Lightweight

United Kingdom 

so here's where we are at.

New intercooler hose fitted. Runs like a dream. But I've now got the P0409 gas recirculation A sensor code. I've unplugged the connectors on the new EGR, sprayed them with electrical cleaner, given them a quick blast with the air line and fitted it all back together. I then clear the codes down and drive the car. But as it warms up I get the engine management light back on and the fault code P0409. No more sign of the P245A sensor fault I was getting.

If anyone has any ideas I would be really grateful.

Thank you as ever.

Post #353708 20th Jul 2018 5:03 pm
V8Lightweight

United Kingdom 

Just to add, yes it's got a DPF based on the chassis number and the photo sent kindly by DorsetFreelander.

Post #353709 20th Jul 2018 5:05 pm
Yorky Bob

Thee was a post somewhere a couple of days ago by a member who had fitted a new EGR unit and could not clear the fault codes. Needed the gas flow re-setting by a Indy that then stopped the fault codes. FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #353713 20th Jul 2018 6:39 pm

Sweden 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 Dynamic Auto Santorini Black

That would have been me then Smile
Yes, I think you should try to find someone with SDD tool that can run the airpath setup up process and if that does not help it also has self tests for EGR etc.
The small component next to the throttle housing is the EGR cooler bypass solenoid that lets vacuum from pump open the bypass valve when ECU completes the circuit to the solenoid.

Post #353722 20th Jul 2018 9:18 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>