Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Autobox - Clunk on pulling away ?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
F5JJT

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Orkney Grey
Autobox - Clunk on pulling away ?

I've noticed a slight "clunk" as in feel a slight clunk as opposed to any audible noise. It's as though something in the auto box is catching up before engaging - just wondered if anyone else has experienced a similar issue - doesn't happen all the time just enough to remind that maybe something's not quite right. F2 3.2 i6 for the white stuff
F Type 3.0 V6 AWD for the fun stuff

Post #351991 22nd Jun 2018 11:15 am
ReggiePerrin

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Firenze Red

I believe this was a software issue on some cars...

Post #351999 22nd Jun 2018 1:54 pm
F5JJT

Many thanks - I'll mention that when I take it in for a service in a few weeks time and see what gets said. F2 3.2 i6 for the white stuff

Post #352125 25th Jun 2018 9:43 am
Freely2

Australia 

http://www.freel2.com/forum/post329665.htm...set#329665

Hi - I did this procedure that Freelanderi6 has written about because I had a "slipping clutch" type sound that did not resolve with changing of the transmission oil. The procedure worked a treat and the gear changes are very smooth now. Maybe try this procedure.

Post #352127 25th Jun 2018 9:55 am
landahoy

2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Fuji White

Been looking for a while for anyone that has had this problem when car hot, my local dealer has been totally unable to replicate problem.
My car if left in drive at road junction as brake pedal taken off the box bangs into a gear and shoots forward, this problem is intermittent but seems to be happening more regularly, when under warranty during service I was lent many Freelander 2 auto's and their gear changes were smooth, so I knew mine was faulty.
Harwoods say that I should change the oil first at around £400 before they would change the gear box at around £8500, these are crazy prices, they tell me the software is up to date.
I am somewhat annoyed at the dealers attitude to this problem having originally sold me the car.
I will have to swallow cost of oil change, even though as another dealer said to me that it may cure it but at 30.000 miles it's crazy as oil does not usually require replacement until 110.000.
I am at a loss.

Post #352257 26th Jun 2018 7:27 pm
F5JJT

Sheez - why on earth does it cost 400 quid to change the gearbox oil ?? - I think you've got a whole different issue to mine - mine is more as though the initial drive shaft in the gearbox is loose/worn or something as there is a perceptible "clunk" when moving off - i.e. idling away fine, but on up take of "slack" and clunk. Doesn't happen as the auto box changes up and down or indeed using the command shift option. A bit weird but I'll live with it unless any of you folk have experienced the same and have a simple fix !! ...............................400 quid for some poxy oil jeepers !! F2 3.2 i6 for the white stuff

Post #352297 27th Jun 2018 11:01 am
landahoy

Will get oil changed as it seems best to do before condemning anything else. Awaiting response from gearbox rebuilder for advise.
The problem is that although car was ex Land Rover I have no idea how it was driven before, although the box should be tough enough to take it.
The clunk on take up appears on mine most of time (play in drive?) but the loud clonk and shooting forward is intermittent and appears to happen as others have noticed when it is hot, it could well be the oil, certainly the chap I spoke to at Leaders in Battersea said he changed the oil on his 4x4 and was suprised the difference it made and I suppose around 300-400 is cheap compared to new box.

If I get any info' that sheds light on problem I will post.

Post #352303 27th Jun 2018 12:17 pm
Stevie5tapes

England 2013 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Auto Sumatra Black

I would shop around for gear box oil changes. The Indy I use charges about 250 and has a machine that does the ATF change. Black MY2013 SD4 GS Auto, Wood Company Armrest, Freel2 sticker.
Gone MY2010 Freelander 2 Manual TD4.e S, Alaska White.

Post #352348 27th Jun 2018 9:41 pm
landahoy

Shopping around is a must as there is no need to use dealer for this, unfortunately down here everyone is on band wagon and charges.
I am off over the Thames today and will be popping into another dealership to get software checked as I don't trust my dealership anymore, even though they have come back crawling to me apologising and offering things I don't want that cost them nothing.
Vehicle I love but same can't be said about dealer.

Post #352354 28th Jun 2018 6:29 am
Wolfman

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Ipanema Sand

Hi, I'm going to jump in on this post and share a similar experience.
I tow with my Freelander and after towing when the gearbox is hot my auto would clunk into drive and or lurch forward when releasing the brake, this would usually correct itself after driving for say 1/2 an hour. Land Rover assist called out once to resolve the issue. They took it for a drive to perform some sort of reset action? and later the main dealers flashed the firmware.
Fast forward and the issue still happened, but only after towing. Spoke to my local Indi (BME Milton Keynes)and he knew what the problem was straight away, Brandon resolved the problem, Gearbox firmware flashed and performed a recalibration which involves getting the box upto a set temp and performing some drive and reverse actions then repeat this at another box temperature?
The issue has reappeared. Cool

Post #352454 29th Jun 2018 2:46 pm
Wolfman

Sorry hasn't reappeared... Laughing

Post #352455 29th Jun 2018 2:47 pm
F5JJT

Thanks for this tale Wolf - I need to get my LR2 serviced and intend to see what the local indie says at the time. I haven't had it long and it's done getting on for 70K miles so I'd accept that it's wear & tear I guess - there seem to be lots of posts about software updates which I'm finding hard to grasp in terms of affecting clunks and so forth but I stand ready to be corrected. So if software and weird driving back and forth rituals can kick my clunk into the long grass FAB ! Bow down F2 3.2 i6 for the white stuff

Post #352470 29th Jun 2018 8:10 pm
Wolfman

The technical bulletin is LTB00782V4. 28th October 2015 and superceeds one dated 01 October 2015
Freelander 2011-2015 VIN 216517-439912 & VIN 900000-911855. Applicable to vehicles fitted with AWF21 6 speed Auto transmission.
Unfortunately yours isn’t in the date range, but firmware updates should be applied as necessary as the first port of call before an early fluid change. tbh these auto boxes are bullet proof and fitted to a wide range of vehicles. Good luck..

Post #352473 29th Jun 2018 9:34 pm
Sidthecat

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Orkney Grey

Sorry, silly question . . . . but my V5C shows a VIN/Chassis/Frame number to be a 17-long sequence of letters/numbers - am I right to assume the last six are the VIN? If so, my 63 plate falls within those first block of numbers. Tried googling that bulletin but only seems to list Freelander issues to 2004?

Last edited by Sidthecat on 29th Jun 2018 10:41 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #352477 29th Jun 2018 10:22 pm
landahoy

Hi Wolfman,
Interesting, glad I'm not alone with this problem.
Will take to an independent for them check, your problem sounds very much like mine, I drove it the other day and all was good.

Will look into those bulletins.

Post #352479 29th Jun 2018 10:35 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>