Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Smart Meter EMI causing starting problems
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
RogB

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

The government is stated it wants all households fitted with smart meters by 2020 but its not yet mandatory. I took advantage of them fitting them for free now, although I did have problems for the 1st few months as they weren't installed and commissioned correctly.
TBH they are just a gimmick and saves them coming out to read meters.

Post #351498 14th Jun 2018 12:32 pm
MARATHON

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Zermatt Silver

I will grill the engineer to find out if interference is a problem. Because these problems have only occurred with the car parked next to the smart meter within a few days of it being installed my gut feeling is probably faulty installation as the gas information has never been shown on the user display.

Post #351500 14th Jun 2018 1:10 pm
RogB

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

electric readings and usage are shown on the indoor display with 30 minutes, so are accurate to the meter.
gas readings take a little longer and IIRC are done daily but im not 100% sure on the frequency.

you should be able to select to see both gas and electricity usage together or individually on the display. If you cant then there is a fault with the connectivity somewhere.

if you use the app you should only be able to see seasonal usage, and not daily usage. When mine were first installed I could see what I though were accurate readings on both the app and the display, which apparently was incorrect.

the meters hadn't been commissioned and configured correctly.

Post #351501 14th Jun 2018 1:21 pm
768will

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Bali Blue

Some years ago I made a remote control system for my rotary pigeon decoy. This consisted 433MHz FM Tx and Rx modules with encoder/decoder chipsets from RF Solutions. These used a rolling code to prevent interference and security(blurb said if you pressed the Tx button 4 times/day it would be 44 years before the same code could be transmitted)
Loaded up the FL2 and drove across the fields, took out the dog to have a 'shufti' at likely spots. Decided to lock the vehicle but it refused to lock. Tried several times then opened the boot to discover that something had fallen onto the remote control unit so it was in permanent transmit mode. When this was removed, I was able to lock the vehicle.
Bit of a long winded explanation but makes me suspect that the 433MHz spectrum can throw up spurious problems. 11 GS Bali Blue
07 GS FL2. Usually muddy. Gone
Numerous LRs since 1963

Post #351519 14th Jun 2018 6:10 pm
MARATHON

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Zermatt Silver

The smart meters have now been replaced with standard meters and the additional earth lead fitted between the battery and starter motor bolt. No issues so far so very pleased with Scottish Power for their fast response with no hassle.

Post #352717 4th Jul 2018 3:16 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12