Home > Technical > oil filter removal
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
DigDil

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Tonga Green

Aimeetess1 wrote:
Ahh you wimps ordering special spanners! Laughing

I done it myself without any fancy spanner (23yr old female) in the pit, only I could get my hand in the awkward spot. It took about 30 minutes to get it off, and then I tipped it upside down and the entire content of it went over my head and stained my hair. Not my proudest moment but don't think it had ever been changed before at 10 years old, even though LR done all the servicing!

A tip I once read on here was to Loosened the plastic filter cover all the way and leave it sat in the housing. Then drain the oil from the engine. That way by the time you go back to it all the oil has drained out. It saves oil in the hair or in my case all down my sleeve. I've done it that way a couple of time now and it does work!.

Post #351039 7th Jun 2018 2:44 pm
owld skipper

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Santorini Black

Yep I did the same, tipped the oil filter, didn't get my hair but my left arm, left side, and the block paving took some stick. Full L.R. service history when I bought it, and you just KNOW that filter had never been changed.

Post #351048 7th Jun 2018 5:40 pm
Steve D

United Kingdom 

I doubt very much whether a main dealer would miss out the oil filter on a service. Thing is, what may be fairly difficult for someone who maintains their own vehicle and a bit of a faff for a mechanic who rarely sees one, for a main dealer mechanic doing these day in, day out, it's a Censored easy job that they could do on a ramp in a couple of minutes with their eyes closed. Honestly. Past: FL2 TD4 HSE Auto
Evoque SD4 Dynamic Lux Auto
Present: Audi A3 S Line.

Post #353255 13th Jul 2018 12:47 pm
owld skipper

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Santorini Black

Hmm, you might be right Steve, but I had company cars for over 25 years and could tell a few horror stories about Main Dealers, from renewed timing belt coming off after 3 days use to my brakes failing on leaving their car park after they 'forgot' to tighten a bleed nipple after renewing the brake fluid. My son's friend works in a Land Rover dealer and quite honestly I wouldn't let him put a battery in a torch.

Post #353264 13th Jul 2018 2:08 pm
jenks1950

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Santorini Black

I suspect that a main dealer never changed the fuel filter as per schedule and I guess if they skipped that you are pretty close to skipping the oil filter if the technician is in a hurry!!!!!!!

Steve

Post #353266 13th Jul 2018 2:28 pm
JulesK

Wales 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Firenze Red

That was my point yesterday. How exactly do you check what they have supposed to have done unless you either watch them doing it (which my dealer will not so suspicious alredy Smile ) or go over everything on list.
Cannot even see oil filter now Evil or Very Mad If it wasn't so bad it'd be funny.

šŸ‘
Freelander 2 HSE auto 2014 ( Florrie ) ..... Try again.
Freelander 2 GS 2012...... Gone.

Post #353269 13th Jul 2018 3:54 pm
Andy131

United Kingdom 

Tippex is your friend.

mark the Censored , don't do it sneakily make it obvious.
The point is not to catch the technicians out, but to make them aware that you are checking. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #353272 13th Jul 2018 4:28 pm
Steve D

United Kingdom 

If I was working on a car that had a tippex mark on the oil filter housing, Iā€™d change the filter and reapply the tippex. Whistle Past: FL2 TD4 HSE Auto
Evoque SD4 Dynamic Lux Auto
Present: Audi A3 S Line.

Post #353283 13th Jul 2018 7:10 pm
Bobupndown

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Orkney Grey

I used to scratch metal cannister oil filters to be sure a new one was fitted when I picked it up. Landrover - turning owners into mechanics since 1948

2014 Orkney grey Freelander SD4 GS.
2004 Zambezi silver Discovery 2 Td5 (Gone)
1963 Surf blue Morris Mini Minor Super de Luxe (my little toy)

Post #353317 14th Jul 2018 1:55 pm
Jack frost

United Kingdom 

The only way you know 100% the oil/fuel filter would have been changed is do it yourself it just goes to show full dealer service history is a joke.

Last edited by Jack frost on 16th Jul 2018 7:27 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #353338 14th Jul 2018 8:12 pm
JulesK

Wales 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Firenze Red

Jack can see what you mean but with a disability it means I can no longer DIY things like that also I can't even see the bloody thing so that's not a good start Very Happy I take it that its under the plate somewhere Confused

Soon as warranty up it will be service kit from one of the site sponsors and off to an indy and Censored to lining stealers pockets.

Update.. strange to find yesterday when back in car that dash cam had been unplugged at unit????
Looks like someone doesn't want you watching and listening!!! No wonder folk get suspicious Evil or Very Mad If it wasn't so bad it'd be funny.

šŸ‘
Freelander 2 HSE auto 2014 ( Florrie ) ..... Try again.
Freelander 2 GS 2012...... Gone.

Post #353394 16th Jul 2018 7:36 am
Andy131

United Kingdom 

Steve D wrote:
If I was working on a car that had a tippex mark on the oil filter housing, Iā€™d change the filter and reapply the tippex. Whistle

Problem is all that happens is you loose a paying customer, who may well tell everyone within earshot (and on forums), that Steves garage does shoddy work - they don't even change filters during a service. It's far easier to badmouth someone on the internet/down the pub than it is to confront them face to face. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #353501 17th Jul 2018 9:23 pm
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red

As my late Father used to say "I can deal with a complaining customer as its far better than having no customers at all"

He then ran the only official workshop for Aston Martin in Yorkshire (amongst other brands like Land Rover). Proof of that worth came much later as he left that garage chain and won a case for constructive dismissal (had only just became law) and not long after the company went into liquidation. A few years later the ex MD said if they had only listened to my father instead of business consultants who shagged the business they would be still trading. FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #353533 18th Jul 2018 9:27 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12