Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Australian 7 Pin Large Round Wiring for Freelander 2
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
bnicho

Australia 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Sumatra Black
Australian 7 Pin Large Round Wiring for Freelander 2

I have a 2007 UK import GS here Australia.

I fitted it with a Haymann Reece towbar myself.

I'm posting this up here to help others who may find problem with the usual two UK sockets fitted by Land Rover in the future.

I bought the non-gen electronics box from the UK (Britpart branded) and it came with the two UK two sockets - white and black.

This is the UK standard wiring for those sockets. (Plus the 13 pin standard, which we can ignore!)

Victorians tend to use the large 7 pin round plug, and that is how all my cars and trailers are wired. I simply used the black socket (same as an Aussie one) from the Britpart kit and rewired it to AU standards.

This is the AU 7 pin large plug standard. As you can see, the 12N UK socket colours are mostly identical to the AU 7-pin, just some of them are in different places. Most people do not need the black and blue wires anyway.

I did the following mods to suit my purposes.

- Removed the black wire (L/H tail light) from the 12N (black socket) loom.
- Removed the FAT GREEN 12V + wire from the 12S (white socket) loom and poked it into the sleeve for the 12N (black) loom, in place of the black wire I previously removed. This is optional. I did this because I run a 12v + feed to the plug. Not everyone needs this!
- Cut and capped the blue wire (foglight wire) from the 12N (black socket) loom inside the boot with heat shrink. But I left it going to the socket. This is so the wire can be reused for electric brakes if I want to use them in future, as I can just connect straight to this wire in the boot. With it disconnected it won't cause the brakes to lock up on an electric brake trailer if I switch on the rear fog light!

I then capped each unused wire with heat shrink and taped up the loom reasonably neatly.

Click image to enlarge

At the socket end I wired as follows:
Yellow (1) Left Indictaor, Green (4) Right Indicator, Red (6) Brake, White (3) Earth connected as per AU and UK standard. They are the same.
Brown - Wired to Pin 7, in the centre. This is different to UK
Blue - Pin 5 as per AU standard. This is optional and should only be connected if you have cut power to the blue wire somewhere else, and you are reusing the blue wire for electric brakes! I most probably will be using it in the future, as my caravan does have electric brakes. We usually tow the caravan with a larger 4x4, but that may change.
Fat green 12v from the 12S part of the loom, I connected to terminal 2. This is also optional. I use this wire to power 12v interior lights on my trailers/caravan. If you don't need it, leave this wire unconnected.

I hope this helps someone in the future to sort out their wiring, Brett Nicholson
Greendale, Victoria
2007 Freelander 2 GS ex-UK now in Aus!
1973 Land Rover Series 3 88 ex-UK
1965 Morris Mini Traveller ex-UK
1966 Austin Mini Super-Deluxe ex-UK
1971 Morris Mini Moke
2013 Toyota Prado

Last edited by bnicho on 17th May 2018 4:11 am. Edited 2 times in total

Post #349679 17th May 2018 2:38 am
philllip

Australia 2014 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

Good work and thank you! I'll have to get that 13PIN rewired.

Post #349680 17th May 2018 4:01 am
Badger51

Australia 

Here's another option.

http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic2775.html...+australia (Now Sold). 2008 Freelander 2 (Nazca Sand) SE TD4 Auto. Statutory write off & on WOVR for hail damage but still road legal.
171037Km as of 09/05/22
Superchips Bluefin Flash
Nanocom Evo II (also sold)

Post #349690 17th May 2018 9:55 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1