Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Including Service History when asking about Faults ?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White
Including Service History when asking about Faults ?

When looking at the problems posted on this website I often wonder how long the problem has been going on, and when was the last time the car was working normally.
To get a feeling for what the problem could be a bit of history might be handy. Like when was the car last serviced, and what previous problems might it had, otherwise an oblivious solution may be missed.

Reading some of these posts I am beginning to think that the FL2 may be too complicated, and expensive, for it to get proper servicing and fault diagnosis as it gets older.

Have we come to the point where people are selling their cars on rather than fixing the faults, and therefore others are buying cars with intermittent and obscure faults.

And, one last plea, if this forum is to learn about common faults,

Please post the solutions, when found, on to your original query. FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 76k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #349483 14th May 2018 8:55 am
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red

Please post the solutions, when found, on to your original query

Fully agree.

As the fleet gets older less money is going to be invested IMO in preventative medicine, new faces pop up and talk about how they can't wait to carry out styling /bling modifications with little thought to future proofing their new pride and joy.
I stopped looking on a Freelander 1 page elsewhere due to the IQ heading very South with the advent of Freelander 1 cars becoming as available as everyday aged hatchbacks. FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #349487 14th May 2018 10:00 am
SkyeGuy

Scotland 
Re: Including Service History when asking about Faults ?

IanMetro wrote:

Reading some of these posts I am beginning to think that the FL2 may be too complicated, and expensive, for it to get proper servicing and fault diagnosis as it gets older.

Have we come to the point where people are selling their cars on rather than fixing the faults, and therefore others are buying cars with intermittent and obscure faults.

I am sure you are right.The same applies to most expensive-when-new cars as they age and become cheap-as-chips to buy. Just because they can be bought for less than the price of a small hatchback doesn't mean they have become small-hatchback money to run. So yes - I don't doubt there are a lot of cars out there being sold that have suffered skipped maintenance and/or with obscure faults. Currently enjoying:
2011 Freelander 2 TD4 XS (SOLD)
2013 BMW X3 20D M-Sport Auto
2007 Jaguar XK 4.2 Coupe

Post #349494 14th May 2018 3:22 pm
dennij

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver

You could always pay for an independent inspection prior to purchase that would at least give a private buyer an idea of the vehicles general health. Buying from a garage or dealer gives you some recourse if the worst should happen in the first months of ownership. If you go into the purchase with the outlook that you will get the vehicle serviced if unsure of history then you can give yourself some peace of mind. I had a B service carried out at an independent for less than £300 so it pays to shop around.

PCP has cut the cost of used vehicles which has a benefit to those of us who don't want to either buy new or take out PCP, I realistically don't expect a used to car to be trouble free although it is a nice surprise when you get one that is. Everything wears out over time and most of the issues people come across could have been prevented as has been mentioned before.

As for the history side of things, I keep all paperwork for everything that is done to my vehicle, everything from a puncture repair to a full service and everything in between and I keep the paperwork with the vehicle when I sell, if I buy I like to see as much paperwork as possible so that I know more about the history than just a stamp in a service book.

Post #349497 14th May 2018 3:40 pm
Andy131

United Kingdom 

Unfortuneately newer LR products don't have a service book - "It's all done online sir"

Problem being you can't edit the book, so if you do an intermediate service at 10,000 - which you would note in the old paper books, it info is lost. As are the little notes as to when, for example, the door locks fail. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #349502 14th May 2018 4:45 pm
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

When I traded my last FL2 in I handed a file to the dealer with all of my receipts for everything and he wasn't interested. All he needed was the online history. I had included information about tyres, gearbox repair, when new pads were installed and the 2011 hesitation problem, all of which would have been useful to a new purchaser.

A few years ago I had a company car with an intermittent fault with the electrics, they changed the alternator which didn't fix it but eventually I tracked it down to a bad connector on the wire going to the alternator, basically it just needed a new copper connector soldered on. At this point the leasing company called me to say that the car was being replaced and as it would go straight into the auctions I wrote a short note and sellotaped it in the service book. Hopefully it saved the next owner a few problems. Not sure that I would own up to a fault if I was trading my own car in though. 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #349510 14th May 2018 6:24 pm
Worms

Scotland 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Zermatt Silver

Before we get too misty-eyed about the old Service Books... Who on earth designed the box that says “Additional work carried out or recommended for future attention”? Which is it? Say the service department writes “brake discs”... does that mean they have been done or need doing? 2005 D3 2.7 Auto
Previously:
2010 MY FL2 TD4e GS - Now gone at 199,500 miles, about 135,000 of them mine.
‘93 Defender 110 200TDi CSW
‘87 Defender 90 4 cyl Petrol
‘83 110 CSW V8 - best ever!
Range Rover 2-door V8 (not sure of year - 4-speed box and vacuum diff switch)
Series III SWB Diesel

Post #349512 14th May 2018 7:26 pm
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

You can check MOT History online.

It does report advisories as well as failing items.

https://www.gov.uk/check-mot-history

(I have to admit I used the site to check up to see how long my old cars lasted after I had sold/returned them)

I do agree with dorsetfreelander that large dealers are not interested in your carefully filed paperwork. They just give you book price and shove it into action. Although I think my paperwork, on my last Freelander, did reach the buying dealer as it was advertised as a full service history.

The reason for my original post was that I found it difficult to appreciate the background to some of the posts asking for help.
Some owners appear on the site and immediately ask for answers while giving no idea of history or even which FL2 they own.
 FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 76k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #349514 14th May 2018 8:03 pm
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red

need FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #349515 14th May 2018 8:04 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1