« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Power steering and RAC
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
RealBeale

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Sumatra Black
Power steering and RAC

Lost my power steering this morning. Car was noisy on start up but became quiet very quickly. 2 miles into the journey, 2 loud squeals going round a bend and the steering became unresponsive. Luckily I was back on the straight and nursed it in to the kerb. Called RAC. Took an hour and a half to get to me. Diagnosed a loose auxiliary belt tensioner , knackering the belt. Had to be recovered. Anyway, 8 hours later - yes that's 8 hours later, they finally manage to remove the vehicle - too late to take it to their "approved" garage. Sad part is that they also expect me to collect the vehicle when it's fixed - 25 miles away. Trouble is I'm on holiday with all the luggage that entails - it's impossible to carry everything on public transport to a place on an industrial estate in the back of beyond - but the RAC have said they "may" be able with a taxi but can't promise. I'm due home on Monday but they also cannot guarantee the car will be fixed by then.................
Trouble is.... the air con was serviced recently. Mentioned this to the RAC guy who said that they probably didn't tighten the tensioner to the right torque settings when they did the service. F***ing Kwik-Fit.

Post #349245 9th May 2018 9:48 pm
sid

England 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

part of the rac membership entitles you to a 20 mile taxi journey,which you can claim back,but as it was their recommended garage,they will possibly arrange and pay there and then.Due to the delay I would advise you to contact customer sevices for some kind of compensation,extending membership foc, is not unheard of.

Post #349248 9th May 2018 10:08 pm
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red

My tensioner failed a few weeks ago. Easy to fix but part not easy to find in stock at short notice. A ac service should not need more than new gas but check your bill to see if they fitted any parts like a new pump belt. As for using Dickfit Banging Head Banging Head FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #349252 9th May 2018 10:51 pm
RealBeale

Yeah, had it booked in with KF as they were the only one's who could do it at short notice. I purposely used one a couple of miles away as a few years ago the cowboys at my local branch slashed one of my new tyres before fitting it and blamed me, so I didn't want to use them again. However, on the day of the service, the branch I chose said their aircon guy had called in sick and my local branch was the only one who could do it at such short notice......................yeah, Ive always avoided KF like the plague but needed the job done......serves me right ! Girlfriend had her insurance with them donkeys years ago which entitled her to a free MOT which her car failed on with brakes. After paying these jokers £400 for new brake parts ,it promptly failed the mot again - on brakes they had supposedly sorted. After making threats to contact Trading Standards, guess what ....?? It passed.

Post #349313 10th May 2018 8:37 pm
Jimboland

England 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Santorini Black

"Girlfriend had her insurance with them donkeys years ago which entitled her to a free MOT which her car failed on with brakes. After paying these jokers £400 for new brake parts ,it promptly failed the mot again - on brakes they had supposedly sorted. After making threats to contact Trading Standards, guess what ....?? It passed."

This is very worrying. Were the brakes OK and they were trying to screw some more cash out of her? Or were the brakes really a fail and they just passed them to avoid the aggro with TS? Either way the words "Rope" and "Lamp Post" spring to mind.

J

Post #349546 15th May 2018 9:54 am
RealBeale

To me , the problem was with the ABS module - not the actual brakes themselves. Every time you pressed the peddle the ABS would kick in and judder regardless of speed or manoeuvre. KF replaced all the brake components , but failed it again - so when they eventually did pass it, the juddering remained. Braking was still exactly the same as before they even had it in for the MOT. BUT this is all down to the other half for trusting these Cowboys not only with fixing her car, but for being stupid enough to insure her car with them because they offered a FREE MOT with the policy. Needless to say the car failed it's next MOT at the local MOT station - you guessed it - on the brakes. Shortly after the car was laid up for around 7 years until it was eventually scrapped.

Post #349553 15th May 2018 12:15 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1