« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Spasmodic vibration throughout car
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
SkyeGuy

Scotland 
Spasmodic vibration throughout car

This is a weird one. I've done a forum search, and read a lot of threads, but not found any reference to the kind of vibration I am experiencing. Your suggestions are welcomed!

Car is a 2011 TD4 manual.

Symptom.... significant vibration though the whole car, but with no associated noise. No warning messages, All car functions continue as normal. This has occurred for two or three miles each time, on three occasions in the last 300 or so miles or so. I am quite certain this is not road-surface related. The vibrations have occurred at about 40 - 60 mph. There's no apparent reason for the vibration starting, and it also dies away for no apparent reason, and the car is then completely smooth as normal. During the period of vibration, I have tried braking (makes no difference) and depressing the clutch and taking the car out of gear (also makes no difference). I haven't tried a gentle pull on the handbrake yet... The vibration is at a frequency that I think is higher than wheel-rotation speed, so I don't think the issue is tyre/wheel related. However, my car has Goodyear Wrangler tyres, front have about 7mm, rears are about 3mm. Could the difference in tread depth be an issue?

Any ideas??? Thanks guys. Currently enjoying:
2011 Freelander 2 TD4 XS (SOLD)
2013 BMW X3 20D M-Sport Auto
2007 Jaguar XK 4.2 Coupe

Post #348860 3rd May 2018 7:05 pm
9Dave9

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

I have a vibration on my 2009 auto also, but at 60mph only happens every 15 to 16 seconds. just had the 4 bearings done in the rear diff as I also had the droning noise wishing this was the cause. all this has done is highlight the same noise coming from the front. its booked in for now for that to be sorted. will report back if it goes.

Post #348861 3rd May 2018 7:22 pm
robbyvrs

England 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 Dynamic Manual Fuji White

Could it be the DPF doing a regen?

Post #348862 3rd May 2018 7:49 pm
9Dave9

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

Im DPF free.

Post #348863 3rd May 2018 7:52 pm
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red

Yes the tyre depth is not gong to help your transmission run sweet so a swap around is in order. Whilst doing it inspect them for any damage. I bin tyres at 3mm, usually all 4 as they are regularly swapped to get even wear. FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #348866 3rd May 2018 8:54 pm
Steven.T

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Lago Grey

Mine has a fairly consistent vibration when between 1500-1800rpm in 6th gear. Wonder if it's similar?

Post #348871 3rd May 2018 9:49 pm
SkyeGuy

Scotland 

robbyvrs wrote:
Could it be the DPF doing a regen?

Interesting thought - certainly that is one occurrence that just happens from time to time. But why would it cause a vibration? Currently enjoying:
2007 Jaguar XK 4.2 Coupe

Post #348886 4th May 2018 7:28 am
SkyeGuy

Scotland 

A bit of an update - I have driven half way across Skye and back this morning at varied speeds (about 80 miles in total) and without a trace of any vibration. Currently enjoying:
2007 Jaguar XK 4.2 Coupe

Post #348918 4th May 2018 1:49 pm
Worms

Scotland 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Zermatt Silver

I’ve had a couple of instances of vibration where I have been sure I have a flat tyre, stopped and found all well, started again and no vibration. I think there was a thread where this was suggested as being a wheel bearing occasionally getting itself into a position where it vibrates. 2005 D3 2.7 Auto
Previously:
2010 MY FL2 TD4e GS - Now gone at 199,500 miles, about 135,000 of them mine.
‘93 Defender 110 200TDi CSW
‘87 Defender 90 4 cyl Petrol
‘83 110 CSW V8 - best ever!
Range Rover 2-door V8 (not sure of year - 4-speed box and vacuum diff switch)
Series III SWB Diesel

Post #348919 4th May 2018 3:47 pm
Jack frost

United Kingdom 

I was going to suggest wheel out of balance but you would have the vibration all the time then. As one of my rear wheels lost a balance weight & that caused a vibration

Post #348921 4th May 2018 3:57 pm
scrimple

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Ipanema Sand

Thing to check:

have you had new tyres on the rear, or are your rear tyres newer than the front?

When fitting new tyres they should always be fitted on the front axle. The Haldex does a startup routine when setting off and it checks the rotation speed of each axle. As the freely is predominantly front wheel derive in normal running things are ok if the larger diameter tyres are on the front, if they are on the rear, the Haldex thinks there is problem and does a restart.

This results in a slight shudder going through the transmission every mile or so, no loss of power or anything, it's just as if the car has a shiver and then is ok.

Swapping the front tyres for the back should cure it if this is the cause, if not cured, a new Haldex could be on the menu fairly soon.

I learn't about this the hard way, expensive.  MY2014 SD4 XS
Ipanema Sand

MY10 TD4-e GS Manual
Lago Grey Now retired after 8 trouble free years

Post #348943 4th May 2018 10:14 pm
SkyeGuy

Scotland 

Thanks for the suggestions so far. The front tyres have more tread depth than the rears.

And a further update - I had to drive about 50 miles yesterday evening (everywhere is a long way apart on Skye...) After about 20 smooth miles, a trace of vibration started. It gradually became worse within the next mile or so - a shudder throughout the whole car, not steering-wheel shake like an out of balance wheel. This time, there was a lay-by handy, so I slowed to a stop. The vibration ceased when I was down to about 20mph or so. I had a look round the car. No smoke, no odd smells, no excessive heat. I set off again. The vibration did not restart, and did not occur again throughout the journey.

I am now of the opinion the issue is probably transmission-related and I can feel my wallet getting lighter as I type. As it happens, I have the car booked in for a service at a Land Rover indie on the 17th. Even before this vibration issue started, I had asked them to service the Haldex, as I have no idea if it has ever been done (mileage on car is 56,000). I begin to fear they might be telling me it needs more than just a service... Currently enjoying:
2007 Jaguar XK 4.2 Coupe

Post #348956 5th May 2018 8:17 am
SkyeGuy

Scotland 

Another update...

Taking note of comments above, I have now swapped the tyres round, so have the most-worn on the front, and least-worn on the back. Tyres all looked undamaged. I was careful to torque all the wheel nuts to the correct 98 ft-lbs. Tyre pressures were all even and correct.

Since doing this, I have driven a further 100 milers or so. The car has felt distinctly smoother, and I have not had any recurrence of the vibration. So - maybe the issue is solved? Time will tell. The Haldex is to be be serviced this week when the car has an annual service, so I will report back again at the weekend after my trip to Inverness and back. Currently enjoying:
2007 Jaguar XK 4.2 Coupe

Post #349495 14th May 2018 2:29 pm
ianbevan

Wales 

Hi I am having a problem with vibration on a 57 plate. It is a wobble if you like seams to be felt from the base of the seat. It’s not all the time but get it a lot. What I have found is that it goes when you come off the power. I have done the usual tyres, the pressures, shafts, suspension and bearings. All of these are fine. Thinking may be the prop or I did read an old post about a binding handbrake? I will watch you post with interest and if I sort mine out I will let you know.

Ian

Post #349526 14th May 2018 9:29 pm
Badger51

Australia 

Yorky Bob & scrimple, your posts seem to be at odds with each other re whether newer tyres should be on the front or rear.

It would be good to get this cleared up once & for all & yes I know rotating & changing all 4 at the same time would alleviate this issue but am interested to know which is least likely to cause transmission issues.

Nick (Now Sold). 2008 Freelander 2 (Nazca Sand) SE TD4 Auto. Statutory write off & on WOVR for hail damage but still road legal.
171037Km as of 09/05/22
Superchips Bluefin Flash
Nanocom Evo II (also sold)

Post #349531 15th May 2018 2:52 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>