« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > What car next?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
Andy131

United Kingdom 

Mmm public transport

Tried park and ride once in Cambridge - wouldn't let us on the bus with a 2kg miniature Yorkshire Terrier in a carry basket - no dogs allowed, so I paid over £30 to drive into the centre and park the car.

The last two buses I tried to catch in Manchester didn't turn up due to driver shortages - £60+ each time for a taxi home.

I live in a town with 40-50,000 souls and no train service, the option is cars, taxis, unreliable buses or walk. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #348678 1st May 2018 1:14 pm
RogB

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

thankfully I live on the edge of town and work 35 miles away on the edge of a neighbouring town.... not city driving for me and public transport is a non starter.

if I ever do go into town then Nottingham has a very good tram service, but I rarely go there. I have everything I need shops wise within 5 miles, Sherwood forest is walking/biking distance and the Peak District is an easy drive

Post #348680 1st May 2018 1:27 pm
tenet

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Orkney Grey

Martynb - it would appear that Subaru have dropped the diesel variant on the Outback range. I can only see reference to the 2.5l petrol in cvt form . Confused MY 09 GS manual in Lago Grey, Wood Co arm rest and side bumper strips - now sold.

MY 15 SD4 SE Auto Orkney Grey with colour coded Bumper Door Mouldings

Post #348686 1st May 2018 2:35 pm
JulesK

Wales 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Firenze Red

We get a bus at 1135 and 1500 on a Tuesday & Friday in the Summer months. If it wasn't so bad it'd be funny.

🐑
Freelander 2 HSE auto 2014 ( Florrie ) ..... Try again.
Freelander 2 GS 2012...... Gone.

Post #348688 1st May 2018 3:20 pm
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red

I have to breath this sh*t and yes I have a car but the M1 AND A1 are not far away so many wagons / cars in UK skirt the City daily so to be fair to Leeds it does need to do something and that may be only because it has too as its public transport plan is appalling.

http://airquality.thecitytalking.com/

Central Leeds is better known as a place of work than of living, though, and the density of commuters by car or bus must contribute to the city-highest average NO2 levels of 28.09ppb, in excess of the EU's limit of 21ppb. 74% of the NO2 measurements in 2014 were over 21ppb, compared to 37% in Headingley, 27% in Kirkstall, and just 8% in Temple Newsam.
 FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #348691 1st May 2018 4:09 pm
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

If you are old enough to have a bus pass then you can't beat Park & Ride into large cities.

I think it was pride (and remembering the old smelly buses of my youth) that stopped me using them initially.
But, once we tried the modern clean buses to go into hospitals, theatre, etc. we now always use the service.

If you live on, or near, a main road then the normal bus service is quite good, although a little bumpy over our ever deepening
potholes (which in my area are breeding like rabbits).

Otherwise a car is much better at getting you point to point, quickly, and conveniently. FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 76k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #348692 1st May 2018 4:17 pm
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red

Places like York do not let you use a bus pass on the park and ride I seem to remember, mind you depending on the one you park in you could once jump on a service bus but maybe now its all barriers and tickets. FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #348693 1st May 2018 4:26 pm
JulesK

Wales 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Firenze Red

Some of these park and ride set ups by councils don't exactly encourage you to use it. Swansea is classic example.
Now the one that goes from Cardiff City FC stadium into the city centre is marvellous .Park car jump on bus (one every 10mins ) £5 per car return. Happy days as done enough driving and trying to park in Cardiff in my work days Evil or Very Mad If it wasn't so bad it'd be funny.

🐑
Freelander 2 HSE auto 2014 ( Florrie ) ..... Try again.
Freelander 2 GS 2012...... Gone.

Post #348697 1st May 2018 5:35 pm
rnlisg

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

yorkshirerob wrote:
thanks loads for the input so far folks.
Outlander could be worth a look too, cheers for that.
From what's been said on my thread here and elswehere on Freel2, it would seem that the freelander DPF is less problematic than some, such as the Disco Sport.
So another Freelander may be a viable option after all!

Luvly Jubly,you know it makes sense rodders gone
P38 v8 auto no problems,great howle from exhausts when giving it welly
Td5 auto head gasket,no5 pot not uncommon but good car.
1st Tdv6s manual epb problem fixed under warranty(stealer said"never heard of this before,i suggested he looked at d3 forum.
2nd Tdv6 se auto epb
3rd Tdv6 xs auto 2008,swmbo,s favourite.

Post #348699 1st May 2018 6:41 pm
MartynB

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Zermatt Silver

tenet wrote:
Martynb - it would appear that Subaru have dropped the diesel variant on the Outback range. I can only see reference to the 2.5l petrol in cvt form . Confused

I must admit that I was in the showroom a couple of weeks ago , and I didn’t notice . It’s hardly surprising given the demonisation of the fuel . The 2.5 petrol is over £4000 cheaper than the diesel was last year , so I suppose it buys a lot of fuel . As it was Subaru’s best selling model in the U.K. it looks like Dieselgate has killed it dead . With a decent discount the petrol version could be a lot of very well specified car for the money . Shame it doesn’t have the WRX engine Whistle

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.autoexpre...arus%3famp

Interesting that Subaru has a typical 7 year turn on repeat customers in the U.K. . 2009 GS Auto Zermatt Silver - Sold June 21 after 10 years of ownership

2016 Subaru Outback SE 2.0 diesel SE Premium Lineartronic Sold 2024 after 8 years and 80k miles . Best Car I ever owned !

2023 Toyota Hilux invincible X 2.8 Auto .

Last edited by MartynB on 1st May 2018 6:48 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #348700 1st May 2018 6:41 pm
rnlisg

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

SkyeGuy wrote:
I'm not a Rob or a Bob, and I'm not from Yorkshire either... Laughing

Good for you sir!nor am I,I am In gods own garden(of England Mr. Green )dahn sarf 20 miles from bloody frogland Whistle gone
P38 v8 auto no problems,great howle from exhausts when giving it welly
Td5 auto head gasket,no5 pot not uncommon but good car.
1st Tdv6s manual epb problem fixed under warranty(stealer said"never heard of this before,i suggested he looked at d3 forum.
2nd Tdv6 se auto epb
3rd Tdv6 xs auto 2008,swmbo,s favourite.

Post #348701 1st May 2018 6:44 pm
yorkshirerob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Ipanema Sand

Thanks again for the detailed Subaru info MartynB.
I can see why you require a 4x4 over at Shibden. Perhaps Lee Lane on an icy/snowy day would be a good test!
Regarding the dealers..yes it was KT Green where I test drove a Forester. They've been there like forever and you can see why. A chap called Simon was the salesman who couldn't have done any more really and completely inspired confidence that he knew his stuff without being pushy at all.
I live over at Greetland and due to the continuous roadworks for the last 2 years it has been known to take an hour to do the 4 mile journey from home to work, really. Hence the DPF concerns.
I actually cycle much of the time. More reliable than either a Freelander or even a Subaru!!

Thanks again,
Rob

Post #348703 1st May 2018 7:54 pm
Bobupndown

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Orkney Grey

Yorky Bob wrote:
My final opinion on this matter is there are too many Censored Robs and Bobs on this thread. Rolling with laughter

Did someone say they needed more Bobs in this thread? Rolling with laughter Landrover - turning owners into mechanics since 1948

2014 Orkney grey Freelander SD4 GS.
2004 Zambezi silver Discovery 2 Td5 (Gone)
1963 Surf blue Morris Mini Minor Super de Luxe (my little toy)

Post #348710 1st May 2018 8:16 pm
MartynB

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Zermatt Silver

yorkshirerob wrote:
Thanks again for the detailed Subaru info MartynB.
I can see why you require a 4x4 over at Shibden. Perhaps Lee Lane on an icy/snowy day would be a good test!
Regarding the dealers..yes it was KT Green where I test drove a Forester. They've been there like forever and you can see why. A chap called Simon was the salesman who couldn't have done any more really and completely inspired confidence that he knew his stuff without being pushy at all.
I live over at Greetland and due to the continuous roadworks for the last 2 years it has been known to take an hour to do the 4 mile journey from home to work, really. Hence the DPF concerns.
I actually cycle much of the time. More reliable than either a Freelander or even a Subaru!!

Thanks again,
Rob

Rob , next time you go down Lee Lane look at the long dry stone wall on the right on the cobbled section . You will see a wooden gate and then lower down a metal gate with massive stone gate posts . Both were put in by me after vehicles tried to go down the hill in lousy conditions They took out sections of wall so I thought I’d take advantage of the demolition . There is also a section of wall repaired opposite the last cottage . That was a Freelander 1 , it went through the wall and 40 yards down the field . Living proof that even a good 4x4 , plus a dumb driver , and a Calderdale winter is a recipe for a disaster Rolling with laughter

Ref KT Green , yes Simon is also a decent bloke , we are lucky that we still have family run companies like Greens and Colin Appleyards around here . Talking to a neighbour today , she has a Suzuki , one of the Appleyard family phoned her to thank her for her continuing custom. Proper old fashioned service . 2009 GS Auto Zermatt Silver - Sold June 21 after 10 years of ownership

2016 Subaru Outback SE 2.0 diesel SE Premium Lineartronic Sold 2024 after 8 years and 80k miles . Best Car I ever owned !

2023 Toyota Hilux invincible X 2.8 Auto .

Post #348712 1st May 2018 8:54 pm
robbyvrs

England 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 Dynamic Manual Fuji White

Rob , next time you go down Lee Lane look at the long dry stone wall on the right on the cobbled section . You will see a wooden gate and then lower down a metal gate with massive stone gate posts . Both were put in by me after vehicles tried to go down the hill in lousy conditions They took out sections of wall so I thought I’d take advantage of the demolition . There is also a section of wall repaired opposite the last cottage . That was a Freelander 1 , it went through the wall and 40 yards down the field . Living proof that even a good 4x4 , plus a dumb driver , and a Calderdale winter is a recipe for a disaster Rolling with laughter

Is this the cobbled road that was in the Hudds examiner a few weeks ago showing the cars crashed when it was icy?

Post #348713 1st May 2018 9:00 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 4 <1234>