Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > What car next?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
robbyvrs

England 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 Dynamic Manual Fuji White

I've had my FL since feb and only drive 8 miles to work and 8 miles home 5-6 times a week and haven't had any dpf warnings yet.
I was worried about the filter before buying which is why i waited so long before taking the plunge and read posts about the TD4s being less problematic than the later SD4 models regarding the dpfs.
I came to the conclusion that if the warning light comes on i'll take it for a long run after work when the traffic is quieter and if needs be do that every few weeks.

Post #348605 30th Apr 2018 7:19 pm
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red

My final opinion on this matter is there are too many Censored Robs and Bobs on this thread. Rolling with laughter FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #348610 30th Apr 2018 7:42 pm
robbyvrs

And we're all Yorkshire Robs and Bobs as well Thumbs Up

Post #348612 30th Apr 2018 7:46 pm
SkyeGuy

Scotland 

I'm not a Rob or a Bob, and I'm not from Yorkshire either... Laughing Currently enjoying:
2011 Freelander 2 TD4 XS (SOLD)
2013 BMW X3 20D M-Sport Auto
2007 Jaguar XK 4.2 Coupe

Post #348613 30th Apr 2018 7:52 pm
yorkshirerob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Ipanema Sand

there does seem to be a lot of Robs n Bobs in this thread.
...perhaps taking over from 'Dave' as most popular name!! Rolling with laughter

Post #348622 30th Apr 2018 8:36 pm
robbyvrs

SkyeGuy wrote:
I'm not a Rob or a Bob, and I'm not from Yorkshire either... Laughing

No but you want to be both so you don't feel left out Very Happy

Post #348623 30th Apr 2018 8:41 pm
MartynB

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Zermatt Silver
Re: What car next?

yorkshirerob wrote:
After 7 and a half years of owning my 2007 FL2 I feel it's time to move on.
Completely baffled as to what to buy though.
I would like to have raised driving position and 4wd. Obvious choice is a late model freelander.
But I'm very concerned about another diesel with DPF as I spend a lot of time sat in traffic, with a long run a few times a year. (current car doesn't have DPF)

So started looking at petrol but there's not much to choose from.
Not keen on Suzuki Vitara but test drove a Subaru Forester XT recently. Liked very much although unsure about CVT gearbox which was lovely and smooth pulling away...but a real delay when trying to overtake for example. And onboard computer was showing 25 mpg! Although no doubt someone been hoofing it.

Sat in an Evoque and a CX-5 but felt like I was sat far too low.

Anyone else been through similar though process?
Don't know if to buy a Forester or risk a diesel.

Thanks in advance.

Ok , a few words from me as resident Subaru advocate .

For my two ha’porth the Subaru CVT is the smoothest gearbox I’ve ever driven period . Even though the Subaru diesels are a modest 150 horse they work exceptionally well with the CVT , as you have the maximum torque available around the speeds you would be normally overtaking . The Outback and Forester petrol engines are another matter and need a good dollop of boot and about another 25 horses to deliver the same torque at higher revs . In the Outback diesel ( euro 6 DPF - oil dilution type ) with urban crawling etc I can get as low as 38 mpg , on a long motorway run I can better 50mpg . The CVT also has a manual flappy paddle programme which ( via the CPU ) simulates 7 manual change up points if you want to play at Lewis Hamilton . One little benefit of the Subaru is that the full time synchronised 4x4 transmission is amazingly good on tyre wear , I’ve got 25,000 miles on the original tyres and I reckon I can get another 15k easy .

A few other points

The Subarus are not the best towing car if that matters to you . Despite not looking like it the Forester and Outback have the same ground clearance as the Freelander . The Freelander is overall more capable off-road , but anywhere I’m willing to take our Freelander , I’d be willing to take the Subaru so no detriment . The Subaru is the only car that has been 100% reliable ( touch wood ) that we have ever owned in that it’s not had a niggle in 2 years , where everything else’ I’ve ever owned or had as a company car has had something under warranty .

The Eyesight driver aid package that is available with the CVT is great , it works , it’s not intrusive , in fact it’s class leading.

I’ve found The service costs of the Subaru are broadly similar with keeping the Freelander properly serviced . £250 first 12 month servic , £350 second year service . Genuine brake pads are about £85 plus labour .The Subaru has 3 years bumper to bumper and 5 years powertrain warranty . If you buy one new plan on keeping to amortise the depreciation . Be amazed at the number of high end cars that will fall behind you on twisty roads .

Subaru dealers are refreshingly free from corporate behaviour and offering you an iced Frappuccino , you’ll probably get a bloke in a chequered shirt who can talk with authority about using the car for shooting and fishing rather than showing you an LED diesigned by Mrs Beckham

For what it’s worth when I’ve had this one 5 years I’ll certainly look at another one hopefully by that time they will have a hybrid . At that point we will probably say bye bye to the Freelander as it will be 12 years old , and keep the Outback as car 2 . 2009 GS Auto Zermatt Silver - Sold June 21 after 10 years of ownership

2016 Subaru Outback SE 2.0 diesel SE Premium Lineartronic Sold 2024 after 8 years and 80k miles . Best Car I ever owned !

2023 Toyota Hilux invincible X 2.8 Auto .

Post #348625 30th Apr 2018 8:56 pm
yorkshirerob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Ipanema Sand

MartynB, thanks so much for taking the time to give me your thoughts on the Subie.

I'm also from Halifax and so I'm sure you can appreciate why I'm sat in traffic so often Rolling with laughter

I'm quite tempted with a Forester and even more so since reading your comments. The Outback is a bit too large for my liking. I did read that the Forester had something like 10mm more ground clearance than a FL....I would imagine it's the approach and departure angles limiting the off road ability of the Forester?

How do you find the snow performance compared to Freelander? I know it's difficult to compare directly unless they have the same tyres...but generally is there much difference?

Thanks again,
Rob

Post #348634 30th Apr 2018 10:53 pm
MartynB

No Problem Rob , we live off an unsurfaced bridleway in Shibden Valley , so having a snow capable vehicle is a necessity . We have Pirelli ATR on the Freelander and Bridgestone Dueller Sport on the Outback . Despite using summer tyres I have not been stuck this winter in the Subaru , the full time synchronised 4x4 is fantastic . You do have the option to put it in manual and negotiate extra tricky winter roads using the x mode which is similar to Landrovers terrain control /HDC , but it lacks the speed up speed down facility that LR has .

Having said that I’m a pragmatic driver and we had a 3 days period when I would not venture out in either car as there are 4 ways out of the top of Shibden , 3 are suicide in winter , and one is just lethal Rolling with laughter .I believe that th Forester comes with a more aggressive tyre than the Outback so It should be as capable in day to day winter driving as the Freelander

I take the Outback off-road regularly down farm tracks to shoots and across fields when I go fishing , you are correct the LR has better approach and departure angles but then ask yourself how often you have ever needed them ?

You probably know but you have 3 Subaru dealers near Halifax , Appleyards at Huddersfield , Dales Subaru at Kelbrook , and KT Greens at the top of Pool Bank . Matthew , the sales director at KT Green is a very decent guy and you should be able to borrow a car from him for a long test drive . We took an Outback for the best part of a day .

I looked at all sorts of cars when I retired and was disappointed by many of them , I found that to me , Subaru was the nearest in concept to a genuine “ sports utility vehicle “ I particularly liked the fact that What you see is what you get unlike many showrooms where the Fandanago XLK you are sitting in turns out to have ten grands worth of extras added to the list price.

Ps I don’t do commuting now , but on the odd traffic jam I’ve been in , the adaptive cruise control that runs off the eyesight system takes all the stress out of crawling along the M62 Thumbs Up 2009 GS Auto Zermatt Silver - Sold June 21 after 10 years of ownership

2016 Subaru Outback SE 2.0 diesel SE Premium Lineartronic Sold 2024 after 8 years and 80k miles . Best Car I ever owned !

Post #348638 30th Apr 2018 11:53 pm
Arctic

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Orkney Grey

What year did the FL2 go up to without the DPF 2009 or 2011 if the later why not get a 2011 FL2, personally I think it will be hard to find something to match the FL2.

What are the Nissans X trail like ? or the Peugeot 3008, Volvo XC60

Post #348642 1st May 2018 2:16 am
MartynB

For anyone living near Leeds , I feel that there is no point in gambling a serious amount of money on a diesel vehicle that does not meet euro 6 . The Leeds clean air zone is due at the end of 2019. It will start by charging service vehicles that do not meet euro 6 , despite the City Council’s statement that joe public will not pay , imho it’s only a matter of time before joe public get caught . It’s catchment area is huge , not just the city centre. At the risk of being being burned as a heretic the nearest like for like for a Fl2 is a Disco Sport Rolling with laughter 2009 GS Auto Zermatt Silver - Sold June 21 after 10 years of ownership

Post #348646 1st May 2018 6:47 am
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red

Pass me that fuel can. Wink FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #348647 1st May 2018 7:05 am
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

Arctic wrote:
What year did the FL2 go up to without the DPF 2009 or 2011

The 2011 facelift had the DPF, if you open the bonnet you will see that pre 2011 models have the "organ pipes" on the air intake pipe. Only problem with early 2011s was the hesitation problem that LR never managed to fix. 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #348662 1st May 2018 9:25 am
Andy131

United Kingdom 

Re- Leeds clean air zone.

I can't believe it - then again maybe I can

Yorkshire men have just introduced a tax on fresh air - not the first I will admit, but it didn't take them long.

All that will happen is that people living outside the area will shop elsewhere and the city centre will die, the good news is the council can top-up the falling revenues from business rates by taxing vehicles daring to drive into the city centre.

It's sad really, the loonies believe that saving the planet should be done at all costs, and that individuals can be forced to conform. Persuasion sometimes works, heavy handed tactics just get adverse reactions. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #348675 1st May 2018 1:01 pm
RogB

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

well with the falling trade in price of diesel cars (compared to the high retail price the dealers then sell on at) many people cannot afford to change their car now and are left in between a Nox and CO2.

as you say Andy, unless the transport links are excellent in the form of park/ride or similar, or decent tram networks, then people will just do their shopping out of town or online and the city centres will die off into a derelict boarded up wasteland. This is already happening in some areas.

Post #348677 1st May 2018 1:06 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>