« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > after first freelander2
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
inneedofhelp

United Kingdom 
after first freelander2

well a total novice, but decided im after a new suv, cant afford a new, current vehicle is a L200 owned since a yr old but its getting old now 52 plate and nearly 200k.

dont need anything as big and looking for a well loved 2007-2009 freelander , wary as buying used dont want a lemon.

my mechanic doesnt rate landrovers said he wouldnt have one as a gift Rolling Eyes however told the freelander is a good option if going for a landrover.

prices seem all over the place,

Ant advice appreciated, just dont want one with a DPF and also told automatic better as clucth can be weak

Post #347087 10th Apr 2018 1:35 pm
RogB

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

well I guess you've come to the right place for varied opinions Very Happy

2007-2009 will have not have a DPF, that didn't come in until 2010 so you will be fine there.

Most people prefer auto for the Freelander but a fair amount swear by the manual box. Certainly if your going to tow anything regularly or have a play off road then auto is most probably going to be your best bet.

the same applies with Freelanders as for any other car really, go for the newest one, with the best service history, that looks like its been well loved. Have it thoroughly checked over by someone in the know if possible (although your mechanic mate might well find fault with them all if he doesn't rate Land Rover Laughing )

Rear diff issues are well documented on here but don't let that put you off too much as this site has resident transmission expert (Austen @ bell engineering)
Clutches and DMF are prone to going as well but this is the same for any manufacturer that uses DMF
Haldex requires servicing, don't believe LR schedules that they are sealed
at the age of vehicle your looking at they will mostly all need the big 10 yr service (cam belt, fluids etc etc) than can cost up to a grand or more so factor that into your purchase price or haggle for it.

Other than that, have a good browse on this forum, lots of knowledge and experience, some bad but mostly good

and be prepared for a warped sense of humour on here Rolling with laughter

Post #347088 10th Apr 2018 1:55 pm
inneedofhelp

United Kingdom 

thanks much appreciated

only came across freelander as relative works in a garage and he says a freelander 2007 gs TD4 has came in he says its looks immaculate 85k and its around £5400 or less they let it go for, they paid F5100 it was pex off a new car, the garage doesnt sell cars older than 4yrs so it be off to auction

unsure though at moment if 10yr service has been done hasnt been able to check so thats sticking point/

called local landrover dealer to see if it had SH with them still waiting for a reply Mad also with quote if a 10yr service is needed

tax seems high tho £315, but i suppose im used to l200 road tax,

Im not bothered about all the toys told GS basic however that its not much more for a HSE model when used, but is it more things to go wrong

I aint got a clue about vehicles my hubbie says i can decide what to get then its only myself to blame, i just cant be dealing with the stress of getting a lemon, also places like this make it seem like i know what im talking about Laughing

Post #347089 10th Apr 2018 2:06 pm
RogB

not sure about the 315 tax, mine is an SD4 Auto and is £240. Some models are £190 I think.

the GS is one up from bottom spec, above that was XS, SE then HSE. But GS is still a reasonable spec with the all the necessary toys and none of the semi unnecessary ones.

85k miles, on an 07 plate is good, if your garage friend is confident its immaculate then get them to do the 10 yr service, could be as low as £600-£700 but others on here will know more details, just have to wait for them to finish their day jobs before they see this.

no point at all in going to a LR main dealer, prices are high at the best of times and really not needed for an 11 year old car unless its totally dealer specific.

Post #347091 10th Apr 2018 2:38 pm
inneedofhelp

United Kingdom 

they wont be doing service as they just send cars off to auction, im awaiting to see if they got SH available

he reckons it has half leather seats, mudflaps which i didnt think was standard on GS

however my daughters friend is a mechanic thats if you can call them that now for landrover however hes just gone on holiday, his brief text message was that the fl2 better of the bunch.

doesnt say that much for someone who fixes them Rolling Eyes

Post #347093 10th Apr 2018 3:04 pm
inneedofhelp

United Kingdom 

any idea what the ground clearance is on the FL2, i regular drive up a farm track and make it fine with L200 just dont want to be ripping away any fuel tanks etc Confused

not that i go off roading, but access to property is a dirt track up a hill,

Thinking might have to walk last half a mile

Post #347095 10th Apr 2018 3:08 pm
RogB

210mm is the ground clearance on a FL2, which is adequate for most tracks. Its a very capable motor off road, a lot more so than people think.
The L200 is 205mm so far as I can tell from a google search

Post #347096 10th Apr 2018 3:24 pm
inneedofhelp

United Kingdom 

the sd4 seems way to go but out of budget as on newer vehicles also that filter frightens me

automatics have higher tax or so it seems

Post #347098 10th Apr 2018 3:29 pm
axle

England 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Santorini Black

Don't buy a i6 then! tax on mine is £500.00 Shocked
I've had three Range rovers, one Discovery, one 110, a LWT and a 88" series three. Freelander 2 is by far the best Land Rover in my opinion and I interned to keep mine as long as possible, yes they have there problems but what cars don't, you can buy cheaper cars and you can buy newer ones for the price of a Freebe, just have a look at how many were made and how many are for sale, should tell you what most people on here have found out that it is a great car. Common sense isn't very common.

Post #347106 10th Apr 2018 4:47 pm
inneedofhelp

United Kingdom 

OMG £500 i thought that was for only them RR, dont think ive come across a i6.

traders prices seem cheaper than what private buyers asking for on autotrader.

Is it bad buying a vehicle thats no longer made, called local dealer today they seemed pretty useless maybe cos the vehicle is 10 yr old couldnt get a straight answer on prices,

Post #347107 10th Apr 2018 4:54 pm
axle

England 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Santorini Black

Only 484 sold in the UK, or there about, it's a straight six cylinder 3.2 litre petrol.
Surprised the traders are cheaper than private sales, but not that they seemed pretty useless.
No it's not bad, easy to get parts and loads of people about who know how to work on them.
Low mileage isn't necessarily a good thing and high mileage isn't necessarily a bad thing, service record is nice to have but shouldn't put you off same as any car. Common sense isn't very common.

Post #347116 10th Apr 2018 5:48 pm
inneedofhelp

United Kingdom 

I would prefer it less than 100k but on flip side i prefer one thats been serviced and loved, just it be replacing my l200 that has 190k ive owned it said 18month old so know it hasnt been abused

My l200 is still going i just need to get a reliable newer vehicle as the l200 will fail at some point

When i say traders cheaper than private i wasnt talking about stratstones, i doubt they have a 07 on a forecourt Confused when asking them questions it seemed like they didnt have a clue as if it was a relic

Post #347118 10th Apr 2018 6:02 pm
DirtyDuck

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Loire Blue

I personally would not worry about the Haldex service - lots of threads on hear but it boils down to:-

1) LR don't recommend one, but people in the know do
2) Censored to do yourself, expensive to pay someone to do (and £100 for parts yourself)
3) The cost to replace Haldex is not eye watering, so I have decided to save my money and replace the Haldex IF it fails with the money I didn't spend servicing it. More likely to wear the more it's used in slippery conditions.

10 year service according to LR is new coolant and new auto gearbox oil. Cambelt not mentioned on the SD4.

People on here, and my nephew, say L200 is tougher than the FL2 if you are going to abuse it, but FL2 more capable in the worst conditions. FL2 has a metal engine skid tray - newer DS and less rugged 4x4's now have plastic I think.

Try and buy one that's been used as a shopping cart, not by a member of your local 4x4 club (yes he may have looked after it very well, but only from guilt about what he did to it at the weekends)

In terms of service history - must have one of course. Annual Oil and filter really the only critical ones, IMHO, and brake fluid every 3.

Post #347119 10th Apr 2018 6:07 pm
DirtyDuck

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Loire Blue

inneedofhelp wrote:

When i say traders cheaper than private i wasnt talking about stratstones, i doubt they have a 07 on a forecourt Confused when asking them questions it seemed like they didnt have a clue as if it was a relic

You won't find one at a main dealer now. Main dealers only want people who will change a car every three years, so they will besmerch the Freelander 2. They hate people like us who want to hit 200K miles to get the value out.

Someone recently said on here that the FL2 has been Landrovers most reliable model ever. We have only had ours 6 months, so can't really comment.

Post #347120 10th Apr 2018 6:11 pm
Lunar-Rover

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Sumatra Black

I bought a 2007 SE manual with 118k on it, did the can belt, oil & filters etc

Car cost 4.5k in June last year
Service cambelt w/pump etc came in at 350.00 ish if memory serves
Few things are coming due which should be under 300.00 and that should be it for at least the next couple of years.

Great drive and very capable vehicle, don't be put off by an oldie! REME .. Rough Engineering Made Easy

Post #347121 10th Apr 2018 6:13 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>