Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > Top Gear & Volvo etc.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
valleyforge

England 
Top Gear & Volvo etc.

Had to laugh when I saw the last TG. Recently got hold of the latest Volvo XC60 brochure to see how its made - and also the XC40. Bit put off by reading the blurb which keeps banging on about being fit for the 'City' and 'Urban' this and 'Street' that, and how they've stripped away all the needless heavy duty stuff to make it light & nimble. Hmm, stuff that, I don't live in the 'City' and do want something a bit more heavy duty than the average.

Anyway, so to TG - what happened ? oh yes, the Volvo croaked - and its replacement - fell to bits after a bit of bumpy riding.
So thats off the list, both of them. Thing is, there's sod all on it so far ....
(If you don't watch TG the Velar came out ok but a pricey showoff, the new Alfa looked interesting but perhaps not quite the thing either.) FL2 Ex D2, D3, RRS, etc. now all gone.

Post #346803 7th Apr 2018 1:50 pm
RogB

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

In defence of the Volvo he was bouncing it about a long way to the left of extreme Laughing
However I would have expected more of a Volvo and for it be almost indestructible. The other 2 didn't get bounced as much so faired a bit better.
A family member has just bought a brand new XC90 R Dynamic and is having no end of bother with the auto braking and lane departure systems and other similar stuff. It keeps braking when it doesn't need to or throwing up proximity warnings. Volvo can find no fault in the car at all so he has had them all disabled by the dealer.

If you want rugged and robust the modern LR or RR offers are about the best available IMO even though they aren't as tough as they used to be.

Post #346808 7th Apr 2018 3:38 pm
valleyforge

England 

Think your right there RogB, it was a bit of a tongue in cheek post but its the marketing message that gets me.
DS not quite my cup of tea having had a couple of goes in one, but an ewok would probably do when the time comes, after all, when you take the lipstick off the pig its really a freelie in a tutu. Rolling with laughter FL2 Ex D2, D3, RRS, etc. now all gone.

Post #346822 7th Apr 2018 7:12 pm
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

I thought that the XC60 was pretty much a FL2 underneath 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #346824 7th Apr 2018 7:30 pm
Bibendum

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Indus Silver

The original yes, but this was the new 2017 model

Post #346838 7th Apr 2018 9:13 pm
Past master

United Kingdom 

RogB wrote:
A family member has just bought a brand new XC90 R Dynamic and is having no end of bother with the auto braking and lane departure systems and other similar stuff. It keeps braking when it doesn't need to or throwing up proximity warnings. Volvo can find no fault in the car at all so he has had them all disabled by the dealer.

If the dealer can't fix it (they are allowed one attempt) he could just reject the car and ask for either his money back or a replacement. I would certainly do that in the circumstances. There is no effective time limit (it's not the same as the right of rejection within 30 days rule). If the car is not fit for purpose and they can't fix it, that's that. Ex AA Series III LWB Safari - Gone
300TDi Disco (bought new - terrible car) sent back after 18 months
Freelander 1 Estate - leased, given back at end of lease
200TDi Disco (bought from a mate with 100,000 on the clock) - Gone
Disco 2 TD5 - sold and exported to France
FR2 TD4 GS - Gone
FR2 SD4 HSE - Now changed for a DS
New model ex-demo Evoque S 180 in white
Unable to order a new DS, so gave up. Now have a Volvo S90 Recharge.

Post #346840 7th Apr 2018 9:27 pm
valleyforge

England 

Re all this auto braking / collision avoidance/lane wandering stuff, SWMBO has a Suzuki Ignis 4x4 thing which has all that - some you can turn off thank goodness but the collision avoidance you can't fully - its a real shock when the lights come on and beeping like mad for no apparent reason (usually an approaching wall before a corner)

The dealer said they couldn't disable it - it would invalidate the insurance unless you notify the insurer the car has been been modified. FL2 Ex D2, D3, RRS, etc. now all gone.

Post #346872 8th Apr 2018 12:42 pm
MartynB

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Zermatt Silver

Good thing I think . Why on Earth would you disable the system ? Other than when you are off-road I can’t think of a reason . I’ll bet there isn’t a single driver on the road who can’t benefit . We can all pretend it will never happen . Sure there might be an odd beep , but on a good system they turn off as fast as they come on as you put a bit of steering input into the equation .

However one day you might find yourself in the situation I did in the Scooby, where the “Eyesight system” reacted faster than I could to the maniac MAMIL pedalling furiously head down arse up through some roadworks against the red lights ! I reckon that split second was the difference between him soiling his spandex and me getting a bonnet ornament .
Thumbs Up
The Subaru does let you switch everything off ( as I said for off road where it could be a liability ) , but If you ever , God forbid , have a kid run out in front of you with the system switched off ... Mine stays on , in fact on the odd occasion on road that it disables itself due to ambient conditions , I feel uneasy . 2009 GS Auto Zermatt Silver - Sold June 21 after 10 years of ownership

2016 Subaru Outback SE 2.0 diesel SE Premium Lineartronic Sold 2024 after 8 years and 80k miles . Best Car I ever owned !

2023 Toyota Hilux invincible X 2.8 Auto .

Post #346883 8th Apr 2018 2:04 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1