Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Vibration at 50-60mph at 1800rpm
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 6 of 12 <123 ... 567 ... 101112>
Print this entire topic · 
alsy

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 Dynamic Manual Galway Green

If you have play in the drive shaft it's goosed - don't need a torn boot for wear to occur- not such bad news as it shouldn't be too pricey - also shouldn't take too long - try driving slowly on full lock & you may well hear loud clicking from the CV joint - this will confirm all is not well in drive shaft land - regardless worth getting checked & changed ASAP

Post #353798 22nd Jul 2018 2:01 pm
jase2190

United Kingdom 

hy everyone, I've been talking to a friend who use to work for land rover and he thinks this vibration could be a split intercooler pipe which makes sense, I'll check mine later and get back to you all

jase

Post #353869 24th Jul 2018 9:12 am
markflickr

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Baltic Blue

Watching this as mine is making this kind of noise, could be DMF, clutch or something drivetrain related.
only hear it under load and between 1800 and 2000 rpm, 5th gear more than the others too.... almost like an oscillation from under the car

Post #356079 2nd Sep 2018 4:05 pm
Dave47

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Izmir Blue

jase2190 wrote:
hy everyone, I've been talking to a friend who use to work for land rover and he thinks this vibration could be a split intercooler pipe which makes sense, I'll check mine later and get back to you all

jase

Hi Jase,
did you get this sorted Question
Dave DAVE.
I.A.M. F1rst Driver.
Gone 2003 Discovery TD5 Auto,
Gone 1986 Defender 90 Station Wagon
Gone 1984 Range Rover 3.5 Vogue Manual.
Gone 1970 Series 11A/3 SWB 3.5 V8 Hybrid
Gone 1964 Series 11A LWB Van
Gone 1966 Series 11A SWB Van
Gone 1964 Series 11A LWB Station Wagon,

Post #356086 2nd Sep 2018 7:10 pm
jase2190

United Kingdom 

By guys, I was looking at this vibration again and I've found there's a lot of play in the inner joint of the drivers side front drive shaft so will order a new one and fit it next week and give you all an update.

Post #358208 5th Oct 2018 5:18 pm
BigRoj

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver

I believe that this vibration at 1800 rpm is the natural resonant frequency of this particular 2.2 diesel engine fitted in the Freelander 2. Nearly all machines have a natural resonant frequency, and it is most noticeable in reciprocating power transfer engines (those with pistons!), particularly those with flat plane crankshafts (180 degree opposed crankpins).
Theoretically, driving at the resonant frequency for any length of time (and we're probably talking hundreds of hours here) will result in some form of damage somewhere, whether it be a leaking oil seal or worn suspension bush or something a bit more serious. But most of us will never do that, hopefully.
The human body has a natural resonant frequency of between 5 and 10 hz (mine is 8hz, apparently). Remember back in the 70s and 80s, when you went to a disco and they had a strobe and it was kept going for a minute or so, how many people fainted or flaked out? That was because of the flash rate of the strobe being about 8 hz and on for too long it affected peoples brains somehow and caused it to switch off, sort of, resulting in fainting. Hence the reason that strobes are rarely used for longer than 10 seconds these days at events. (And the warnings before the news about flash photography content)

Post #358808 16th Oct 2018 7:31 pm
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

IanMetro wrote:
Just a thought.
Although the FL2 has balancer shafts built in to counteract vibration, a 4 cylinder engine has a natural frequency of about 935rpm. Various harmonics of this i.e. 1870rpm will cause the engine to vibrate. The worst vibrations are normally around 4000rpm for a 4 cylinder car.
The engine mounts should be tuned to keep the vibrations from rocking the car, unless they fail.

The following link has a link to a word document which shows the amplitude of some of these vibrations/harmonics.
https://www.maintenance.org/topic/harmonics-in-4-cylinder-engine

I think you have ruled this out by running quieter without the belt, but worth keeping in mind when looking at noise.

From earlier post on this subject, although I think that a few different causes have now been highlighted. FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 74k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #358817 16th Oct 2018 9:58 pm
BigRoj

That'll be me jumping in with both feet before reading the whole thread!
When they were new I would think that this vibration may not have been quite so noticeable, with everything being being nice and tight and new, but as the mileage is stacked up and various parts start to wear and degrade (heat shields, suspension bushes etc) it'll become more obvious.
Most of the mass produced cars I've owned in the past have had this vibration at a particular rpm with the exception of 6 and 8 cylinder Japanese engined ones. My last car, a 2 litre, 4WD Qashqai, did it at about the same revs.

Post #358828 17th Oct 2018 7:46 am
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

BigRoj wrote:
flash rate of the strobe being about 8 hz and on for too long it affected peoples brains somehow and caused it to switch off, sort of, resulting in fainting. Hence the reason that strobes are rarely used for longer than 10 seconds these days at events. (And the warnings before the news about flash photography content)

I have often wondered why the TV channels can't remove the camera flashes that they warn us about. The flashes are very short duration (ie a lot shorter than the TV frame rate) and with with modern processing techniques it can't be that difficult to remove a single frame from the data stream. 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #358847 17th Oct 2018 9:38 am
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

BigRoj wrote:
I believe that this vibration at 1800 rpm is the natural resonant frequency of this particular 2.2 diesel engine fitted in the Freelander 2. Nearly all machines have a natural resonant frequency, and it is most noticeable in reciprocating power transfer engines (those with pistons!), particularly those with flat plane crankshafts (180 degree opposed crankpins).
Theoretically, driving at the resonant frequency for any length of time (and we're probably talking hundreds of hours here) will result in some form of damage somewhere, whether it be a leaking oil seal or worn suspension bush or something a bit more serious. But most of us will never do that, hopefully.

I think that you have made a good point about other things wearing due to sympathetic vibration, after all most of the transmission is connected almost directly to the engine. We in the cabin are the other side of the engine mount and their (hopefully) damping.

I read somewhere that some of the early problems with the Haldex were thought to be due to their initial rail journey (without oil) in boxes from Sweden. The vibration caused slight flats on the dry bearing rollers which got worse with time in use. A bit like a dip/hole in the road gets worse and worse as lorries trundle through. FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 74k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #358849 17th Oct 2018 9:57 am
Longdave

United Kingdom 

[/img][quoI read somewhere that some of the early problems with the Haldex were thought to be due to their initial rail journey (without oil) in boxes from Sweden. The vibration caused slight flats on the dry bearing rollers which got worse with time in use. A bit like a dip/hole in the road gets worse and worse as lorries trundle through.te]

excuse digression: for aircraft engines it is mandatory for road transport that the vehicle has air ride suspension - to prevent flats wearing on stationary bearings[/quote]

Post #358853 17th Oct 2018 10:56 am
markyzs180

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HST Auto Stornoway Grey

Tigertim wrote:
Ok so today I have had car off the ground and the mrs sat “driving” at different speeds and me closely inspecting everything that is rotating ,she was pretty good at maintaining 1800-2000 rpm and I think I may be on to something as at that very rpm the passenger side cv joint at the gearbox end seemed to make a clattering type noise . I have noticed there is quite a lot of up and down movement where the shaft goes into gearbox ie whatever the shaft sits in as opposed to the actual cv joint . Maybe at said rpm (slight load) this is flopping about and resonating through box to rest of drivetrain but I would think if it is worn that much surely the oil seal would have worn out and I would have a leak ? Jase although yours is manual you could have a check tim .

I have this dreaded 'wobble' as well and have also spotted that the nearside driveshaft has excessive vertical movement where it goes into the box... I'm debating buying a second hand shaft from a breaker and trying that first?

Post #359220 22nd Oct 2018 8:31 pm
Nigelhirst

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Orkney Grey

jase2190 wrote:
By guys, I was looking at this vibration again and I've found there's a lot of play in the inner joint of the drivers side front drive shaft so will order a new one and fit it next week and give you all an update.

Any joy? I've got the very same problem. My local garage just replaced the propshaft to no benefit...

Post #359640 29th Oct 2018 7:45 pm
Tigertim

Still no progress on this hopefully soon we will find a diagnosis I just wish something would go bang at least it will show where the problem is .

Post #359644 29th Oct 2018 8:44 pm
Nigelhirst

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Orkney Grey

It's a Land Rover. Of course it will (eventually)!😀

Post #359645 29th Oct 2018 8:51 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 6 of 12 <123 ... 567 ... 101112>