Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > Any 12 hour shift workers?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
The Doctor

United Kingdom 
Any 12 hour shift workers?

Starting my new job soon which begins with a 7 week training course then from June I’ll be doing 12 hour shifts, 4 on 4 off. I’ve done the odd 12 hour shift here and there but not on a permanent basis and have worked typical office hours for many years. I’ll be doing 2x 7-7 and 2x 12-12.

Just wondered if anyone here does 12 hour shifts and how you find it. Did it take long to adjust to the working pattern?

Cheers LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby
LOT (Lord of Time) - University of Gallifrey

Post #346181 30th Mar 2018 8:48 am
shamus5178

Scotland 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Firenze Red

My work just went on to 12 hour shifts last September, 2 days, 2 nights, six off. Seemed fantastic compared to the crazy 5 week cycle we were working before. where we did a run of seven nights, 5 lates, seven early and a week off. Did that for six years and struggled with it. The new 12 pattern seemed a god send. TBH, the actual 12 hour working wasn't bad, i just struggled with all the alone time as my wife was Monday to Friday, 7-4. I worked more split weekends and had even more time alone during the week. Some may argue that sounds great, but then whats the point of being married if you never see each other. Just after Christmas, i fractured my shoulder so have been on "days" since then, im a different person, so much so im actually planning on coming off shift and going onto days. yep, its a 10 grand pay cut, but i have a far better quality of life. Other people say that 12 hours are the best thing since sliced bread, and for them it is. I just depends on your personal circumstances on to which suits you more Smile

You have to try it and see if it works for you Smile

Post #346185 30th Mar 2018 9:49 am
Sidthecat

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Orkney Grey

I have been working 12 hour shifts for many years. I do weekday earlies (Monday-Thursday 0630-1830) followed by weekday nights (Monday-Thursday 1830-0630). A week off then back in for weekend nights (Friday-Sunday), week off, then weekend earlies. Week five of my roster is what we call a relief week when I could be asked to work any two shifts that are otherwise uncovered.
It's a bit of an on/off earlies/nights mix and match, but it still averages out as a 39 hour week and over the course of a 5 week (35 day) roster, I only go in for 16 shifts Very Happy So there's a lot of time off, albeit some of that time is spent in bed after finishing nights but with a bit of careful planning there's the opportunity to take even more time away, without using too much leave; take that weekend of nights off and I can be away for a fortnight for the loss of only 3 days leave.
Few years back, I was away for just shy of 6 weeks for the loss of only 15 days leave Wink
All said and done it's not a bad roster but many experts have said that our mix of earlies and nights can be hard both physically and mentally to adjust to.

Post #346188 30th Mar 2018 10:14 am
Largered

............ well that's what comes of working as a 'Picker/Packer' in the Amazon warehouse.

...... and does the Mrs Doctor Who get comparable rates as her Male predecessors ?

Rolling Eyes

Post #346190 30th Mar 2018 10:50 am
DEG5Y

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Santorini Black

I've been working 12 hr shifts of varying patterns since 1990. 2D 2N 4 off was my favourite as the 'working' part flew past.
The only let down is the number of weekends that are messed up in some way or other. But that depends on your social life.

Something a lot of people don't realise is because your average working week becomes 42hrs, the extra 2hrs you work can (and it did for us but we had to point it out.) earn you two extra days holiday per year. Very Happy

Post #346194 30th Mar 2018 11:48 am
j77

Scotland 

Being a bus driver I’ve done 10-12hr shifts for years, with the odd short one. I’m used to them now and doesn’t really bother me, some of the new guys struggle though. Currently my rota, on paper anyway is 4 days, but it’s 6 on 3 off then 6 on 6 off. My previous rota was all over the place and did screw up the body clock, it still exists and some drivers prefer it due to less weekend work. Though with changes to the work I fear my current rota will be binned Big Cry 21MY Defender 90 S 3.0 D200

Post #346198 30th Mar 2018 12:44 pm
mace

Sweden 

Shift work since -98. (Nursing)

12h night shifts while in the UK.
Now on 18-26h shifts, 8 shifts per 4 weeks.

Friends over the years who just couldn't hack it. My best guess is that either you and your body like it, or you don't.

Me, I love it!

Best of luck!! Thumbs Up

Post #346206 30th Mar 2018 2:37 pm
Jack frost

United Kingdom 

Just try & stay off 12hr night shifts Big Cry unless you can sleep in work Thumbs Up

Post #346210 30th Mar 2018 4:00 pm
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red
Re: Any 12 hour shift workers?

The Doctor wrote:
Starting my new job soon which begins with a 7 week training course then from June I’ll be doing 12 hour shifts, 4 on 4 off. I’ve done the odd 12 hour shift here and there but not on a permanent basis and have worked typical office hours for many years. I’ll be doing 2x 7-7 and 2x 12-12.

Just wondered if anyone here does 12 hour shifts and how you find it. Did it take long to adjust to the working pattern?

Cheers

All depends how old and fit you are.

When I started work I was contracted for a 96 hr week minimum with every third weekend amounting to continuous periods of work lasting 72 hours. I was in my 20s and everyone else was in the same boat, but sleep deprivation was a problem and driving home from Derby to Leicester after maybe only 4 hours of sleep in 3 nights was madness when I think about it now but we did it without much of a problem.
I took early retirement in my late 50s and by then even 48hrs on continuous duty would wreck me for the rest of the week. Jules

Post #346213 30th Mar 2018 5:06 pm
tenet

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Orkney Grey

My daughter is a qualified nurse and whilst working at a general hospital she, and her colleagues (all), worked 12 hour shifts - she is now a practice nurse at her local doctors surgery with "normal" working hours . It suited her at the time bringing up her daughter as a single parent but would not want to go back to her previous work pattern. Don 't know many "briefs" working such odd hours MY 09 GS manual in Lago Grey, Wood Co arm rest and side bumper strips - now sold.

MY 15 SD4 SE Auto Orkney Grey with colour coded Bumper Door Mouldings

Post #346223 30th Mar 2018 7:00 pm
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

I spent most of my working life doing extended hours, shift work, or out of hours telephone call out.

I did it because, although it was a necessity of breakdown cover, the enhanced payments and overtime made it possible to buy a house, etc.

However I feel that it had a detrimental effect on my first marriage, and also after one very long run of continuous day / night shift weekly swaps, I had a mystery gastric illness which I think was partly caused by the disruption of meal times.

I too had the goal of saving up for an early retirement, which I managed in my 50s. I think it gets harder to do shifts and extra hours as you get older. FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 76k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #346224 30th Mar 2018 7:36 pm
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

For the last 5 years I have been doing 24hour shifts at being retired. It's hard going at times as you don't get time off or paid leave you just have to soldier on. Best job I have ever had though. Thanks to all of you tax payers out there for making it possible. Smile 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #346233 30th Mar 2018 9:36 pm
Largered

Yeah, me too. Been retired since 48. Got a few years yet, before the Tax Payers ......... pay my wine bill.

Oh and I do 6 on ..... 6 off ....... months that is.
6 months travelling / Holiday ........ 6 months 'doing whatever I want'

Thumbs Up

Post #346234 30th Mar 2018 9:47 pm
LR NUT

Scotland 2014 Freelander 2 TD4_e Dynamic Manual Fuji White

Try working in an office, gyming and chipping in on the family farm. MY14 Kahn Converted Dynamic - Fuji White Ebony/Pimento Interior
MY15 Xenon Headlight Conversion

MY17 RRS SVR - Estoril Blue Cirrus/Ebony 🪣💺’s

Post #346235 30th Mar 2018 10:00 pm
Largered

LRNut wrote :- "Try working in an office, gyming and chipping in on the family farm."

..... does it come with a Company Car ???

Rolling with laughter

Post #346236 30th Mar 2018 10:08 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>