« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > Deposit on bottles
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
tim_roberts

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e S Manual Santorini Black
Deposit on bottles

So Michael Gove thinks paying a deposit on bottles (and cans) will encourage people to take them back and have them recycled.

I already pay my council (via council tax) to recycle my bottles and cans. Why should I pay Tesco to do the same?

Do Tesco really want customers bringing in a load of smelly bottles and cans for recycling? They would have to be handed over at the checkout to get the refund, I imagine.

And what am I going to put in my recycling bin if not bottles and cans?

I'm confused. Or is it just that Michael Gove hasn't thought it through?

Post #346105 29th Mar 2018 8:08 am
Largered

I can (pun there) remember in the 50/60s manufactures used a similar scheme. You bought your fizzy pop in a glass bottle and when you bought more you took your used bottles back and was given a 'returned bottle discount'.

This is NOT a new idea.

Only problem is ........... i'm overdrawn at the bottle bank currently. Whistle Whistle

Post #346106 29th Mar 2018 8:36 am
Navigator

Scotland 

There was a deposit on jam jars when I was much younger. They could be cashed in at the cinema as well, and with no Internet or TV it was a major weekly entertainment location.

What was different then was that the jars, bottles and other deposit items were not recycled. They were washed and reused. The companies that bottled soft drinks nearly all used the same bottle (a Scottish Flag bottle) so there was no need to get the individual bottles back to the original filler. The main exception was Irn Bru which is still in business while most of the others have ceased trading. Everyone can spread it - Anyone can catch it. Stay home - the life you save can be your own!

Post #346110 29th Mar 2018 9:20 am
j77

Scotland 

The cans and bottles get put into a machine that’s in the shop/supermarket. In return you get a voucher to spend in the shop.

Do you still get money for a BRU bottle? A glass cheque as we called them. 21MY Defender 90 S 3.0 D200

Post #346111 29th Mar 2018 9:21 am
RogB

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

as has been said, we already pay through our council tax for things to be recycled, every single bit of plastic and other recyclable stuff we have goes into the recycling bin in our house, so now we will have to have another separate bin for going back to the shop to claim the deposit back.
Also will plastic bottles from any shop be accepted at Tesco or wherever ? or will Tesco only accept bottles bought there, Asda only their own, Morrisons their own etc etc ?

its just another ill thought through knee jerk reaction to try and appease the environmental warriors

don't get me wrong, I do 100% agree with recycling etc but unless the authorities and recycling companies actually do the recycling then whats the point? There is/was a huge storage compound near me full of bundles of recycling from the local council contractors that never seemed to change in size and full lorries only went in, never out.

Post #346113 29th Mar 2018 9:33 am
Sidthecat

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Orkney Grey

We have family in a small village in Switzerland and they're encouraged to recycle pretty much everything - there's an area in the car park with containers for cans (complete with its own 'crusher unit') bins for coffee pods and such like. The local supermarket has a giant 'hopper' into which you drop off used light bulbs, batteries etc.
Not sure how their council taxes reflect their recycling, although dustman certainly don't take it away.

Post #346115 29th Mar 2018 10:05 am
tim_roberts

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e S Manual Santorini Black

Local Authorities are required by law to recycle a minimum of 50% of household rubbish by 2020, and I believe they are now meeting that target.

If the government removes bottles and cans from household rubbish by moving it to Tesco's car park, or wherever, then that 50% target will surely be missed, and local authorities will be penalised.

It doesn't make any sense!

Post #346117 29th Mar 2018 10:19 am
Jimboland

England 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Santorini Black

Seems like a good money making opportunity just like when kids were kids. We would go to local picnic spots etc. and collect deposit bottles that had been left or dumped as litter and then take them back to the shop to get the deposit. With branded drinks like Tizer etc. you could take the bottle back to any shop that sold it to get the deposit and you didn't have to buy anything with the money. I paid not to take too many to one shop at a time so we just split them between shops. Not so long ago, in the 1970s drinks such as Ribena were in a glass deposit bottle and Tesco used to take them back and give the deposit.

If anyone can remember the old Andy Cap cartoons (showing my age now), when he was short of cash he would get a soda syphon, which had a five bob deposit, on the slate at one off-license, empty it and take it back to another off-licence to get the deposit back. Great scheme, just like the Labour government ran the economy!

J

Edited for typos

Post #346120 29th Mar 2018 10:41 am
jenks1950

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Santorini Black

I agree that it all sounds like a bit of a faff for those of us that already carefully sort out all our waste streams, but if it does anything to reduce the amount of litter that is deposited anywhere and everywhere, then I am all in favour

I find it incredible the amount of litter that is chucked out of cars on to the verges. In particular. drinks bottles and cans, sandwich wrappers together with carrier bags containing fast food meal packaging

Steve

Post #346135 29th Mar 2018 2:43 pm
Steve D

United Kingdom 

I remember the bottles with the 6d (2 1/2p) deposit written on the cap. We'd take them back to out local offie as kids, get the money and then later on, jump over the wall into the yard, get our bottles back and take them to another offie and claim some more money. Rinse, repeat. Whistle Past: FL2 TD4 HSE Auto
Evoque SD4 Dynamic Lux Auto
Present: Audi A3 S Line.

Post #346136 29th Mar 2018 3:09 pm
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

Now that is recycling Very Happy Jules

Post #346138 29th Mar 2018 3:42 pm
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

jenks1950 wrote:
I agree that it all sounds like a bit of a faff for those of us that already carefully sort out all our waste streams, but if it does anything to reduce the amount of litter that is deposited anywhere and everywhere, then I am all in favour

I find it incredible the amount of litter that is chucked out of cars on to the verges. In particular. drinks bottles and cans, sandwich wrappers together with carrier bags containing fast food meal packaging

Steve

AFAIK the schemes work quite well in Scandinavia and Germany where % recycling of plastic bottles is much higher than in UK.

However it sadly hasnt had much effect on littering. I suppose those that chuck stuff on verges and out of car windows are not going to change their behaviour, learned from their parents most likely, over a few extra pence on a bottle of pop. Jules

Post #346139 29th Mar 2018 3:50 pm
axle

England 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Santorini Black

Steve D wrote:
I remember the bottles with the 6d (2 1/2p) deposit written on the cap. We'd take them back to out local offie as kids, get the money and then later on, jump over the wall into the yard, get our bottles back and take them to another offie and claim some more money. Rinse, repeat. Whistle

I never did that Whistle Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Common sense isn't very common.

Post #346140 29th Mar 2018 4:36 pm
T4

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Tambora Flame
Re: Deposit on bottles

tim_roberts wrote:
So Michael Gove thinks paying a deposit on bottles (and cans) will encourage people to take them back and have them recycled.

I already pay my council (via council tax) to recycle my bottles and cans...

The trouble is people are lazy. Even having to sort stuff to go in the recycling bin can be too much of a chore for some, so the only way to get their attention is appeal to their greed.

Most normal people will understand, and appreciate, the merits of recycling but you also need to contact with the sort of pond life that throws rubbish out of car windows. You have to give them a monetary incentive to be socially responsible or they will just carry on being the lowest form of life on the planet.

Post #346142 29th Mar 2018 4:50 pm
anglaslt

Lithuania 2015 Freelander 2 2.0T HSE Lux Auto Havana

Such a scheme has been operating here for a couple of years now. Even though there is normal bin recycling an additional 10c is added to cans and bottles which can be reclaimed by voucher from an automatic machine at the supermarket. It doesn't matter the origin of the bottle or the can.

One advantage is that you will not see abandoned bottles or cans littering the streets.

Have to agree with others' comments about roadside litter. I drove from Harwich on A120 and then A12 to London a couple of weeks back. What a sad welcome to England. I've never seen so much roadside litter.

I presume council tax doesn't stretch to picking it up. Pity those doing community service cannot be tasked to do it. Years ago I remember gangs of offenders were used here to tidy up the highways but probably it's now against their human rights to miss their favourite TV programme. driving on the right side

Post #346151 29th Mar 2018 6:29 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>