Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Land Rover health check at odds with extended warranty.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
TonyJ

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Izmir Blue
Land Rover health check at odds with extended warranty.

My Freelander went in for a service this week and the health check flagged up
Oil leak around sump gasket.
Oil leak from bell housing, crankshaft oil seal suspected.
Both rear diff input shaft seal leaking.
Rear diff input seal leaking.

Having taken out Land Rover's extended warranty I assumed these would be covered by the warranty. It appears not, because they are not leaking enough???
I thought the purpose of a gasket or seal was to prevent oil leaking and therefore if it is allowing oil to leak it is not doing the job it was designed to do and has therfore failed. The Land Rover health check obviously considers it needs rectification because they have given prices for repair, so I fail to see how the warranty company can say work is not needed. I can find nothing in their handbook that sopecifies the degree of failure to be covered.
If this is the way they are operating, their warranty is not worth the paper it iss written on and I would suggest being very close to a con. Remember there are never problems, just new challenges

Post #344561 10th Mar 2018 11:24 am
ianfish

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Santorini Black

Oops! Just taken out one for my vehicle, service on Wednesday. MY 2013 SD GS Auto

Post #344562 10th Mar 2018 11:29 am
LR NUT

Scotland 2014 Freelander 2 TD4_e Dynamic Manual Fuji White

Have you had the haldex replaced? The output shaft seals leaking is mostly likely due to the haldex locking up causing a build up of pressure. MY14 Kahn Converted Dynamic - Fuji White Ebony/Pimento Interior
MY15 Xenon Headlight Conversion

MY17 RRS SVR - Estoril Blue Cirrus/Ebony 🪣💺’s

Post #344563 10th Mar 2018 11:43 am
dunkley201

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

On mine, the crank seal at timing cover end was leaking. They replaced that (which included a cam belt change)

Bob 10MY (Sept 09) TD4 HSE Auto in Stornoway Grey (Now Gone)

08 FL2 TD4 SE Manual in Rimini Red (Now Gone)

Post #344564 10th Mar 2018 12:07 pm
dondiddy

United Kingdom 2012 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Firenze Red

Have you seen how bad the reported leaks are? A little sweating or a slight oil film from a seal on a 10 year old car would be considered acceptable and nothing to worry about. Perhaps the garage is looking to drum up extra work off the back of the service and didn`t realise that you had extended warranty? The way I would look at it is this. If you didn`t have a warranty would you consider the leaks bad enough to fork out yourself to get them sorted? If yes then I would push to get them done under warranty. If no then just forget about them as long as they aren`t leaving oil stains on the ground where you regularly park. (IMHO) Thumbs Up

Post #344567 10th Mar 2018 12:49 pm
Jack frost

United Kingdom 

I would ask the warranty company to put it in writing that the failing gaskets are not covered under warranty as you are going to refer the claim to the financial ombudsman, then see what they say. I also think that the garage have gone looking for work not realising you have Land Rover warranty. Don’t you just love main dealers Mad out of curiosity what have they quoted you to repair all the oil leaks ?

Post #344569 10th Mar 2018 1:15 pm
TonyJ

Thanks for reply guys.
Prices quoted.
Reseal sump £419.69
Leak around bell housing £184.36
Rear diff output shafts £300.79
Rear diff input shaft £189.47

The way I look at it leaks do not get better and the warranty company knew the car was 9 years old when they took on the warranty up to unlimited expiry milage. If they are excluding certain items they should make it clear what is and is not covered. What is the expected life of a seal? The front diff seals are ok and so is the front crankshaft oil seal.
The trouble is the warranty company seem to be judge, jury and executioner. I have lodged a complaint so await their reply, but if I don't get a satisfactory reply I will be taking it further. Remember there are never problems, just new challenges

Post #344591 10th Mar 2018 4:33 pm
Crazy harry

England 

Very spooky this one, we bought our fl2 auto 18 months ago and took out an extra 12 months warranty on top of the 6 months given by the Mitsubishi garage we bought it from, just before the warranty ran out we had all the work done exactly the same leaks that you have, they had the car for 3 days, removing the box etc to do the crank oil seal and sump gasket and rear diff seals, no quibbles from the warranty company. Over all the £299 I paid for the warranty covered over £1500 of repairs over that extra 12 months.

Post #344614 10th Mar 2018 9:06 pm
WGG1848

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Orkney Grey
Engine seal

Having exactly the same problem. See my previous post on this subject.
Car booked in for early April for them to have another look.
If the technician felt it was worth mentioning, then in my opinion it requires attention.
Or do I do nothing until the vehicle just packs up?
Would they have one for sale on the forecourt with the same problem? One Discovery, gone
Now on third Freelander 2
2013 HSE Auto Orkney Grey

Post #344673 11th Mar 2018 5:50 pm
robbyvrs

England 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 Dynamic Manual Fuji White

Which warranty companies do you all use?
I was thinking about getting 1 for my car when the dealers 3 month warranty expires as i wouldn't trust them to fix things

Post #344674 11th Mar 2018 5:53 pm
TonyJ

Wgg that is exactly my thoughts on the subject. If it is of no consequence why is it picked up with repair cost by Land Rover in their health check?
If you were buying the car would you be happy to buy with these faults?

The warranty is sold under Land Rover Approved Warranty Administration which is run by
Motor Insurance Company Ltd both at the same address. Remember there are never problems, just new challenges

Post #344680 11th Mar 2018 7:51 pm
Hippo

United Kingdom 

A health check is just that. A health check. It's not a failure report. It's an inspection list. It's the current status of yer motor. Does it have a leak or not etc. Does it have any items with wear etc. They will put down prices as that's what they do. It doesn't mean the work needs done. It an advisory of the status of yer motor.

Garages also do health checks to make sure they have captured anything on the vehicle that's dangerous. Like a blistered tyre. Routine checks to cover themselves from you driving away with something dangerous which they may be blamed for not spotting at a later date.

As others have said: how badly is it leaking? Hippo's videos - Honorary Tratterer

Post #344682 11th Mar 2018 8:08 pm
TonyJ

The purpose of an oil seal or gasket is to retain a fluid, if it is not doing so it is not doing the job it was designed to do and has therefore failed. A leak does not get better, so if it is not done now it is only putting off a job that has to be done sometime. If the warranty is going to be selective on what it is and is not going to cover it should be detailed when they are selling the product exactly what they are and are not covering. Remember there are never problems, just new challenges

Post #344688 11th Mar 2018 8:53 pm
Hippo

United Kingdom 

Does the warranty cover fair wear and tear? Of course it doesn't. Oil seals don't last forever. If it's only a very small leak they will reject the claim. LR credit's it's extended warranty to be better than others. Most others are major mechanical only.

The LR extended warranty isn't really with LR it's subcontracted out. It's more of an insurance policy than a traditional warranty. Yer need to get a copy of the details - yer should have been given this at the time of buying. It will list what's covered. When making a claim against it yer effectively making an insurance claim against yer warranty policy. Yer LR dealership will be able to advise what others have been able to claim for and what has been turned down. Unfortunately there's a reality to warranties.

https://www.landrover.com/ownership/extended-warranty.html

https://www.landrover.co.uk/ownership/warr...ranty.html Hippo's videos - Honorary Tratterer

Post #344694 11th Mar 2018 9:44 pm
EYorkshire

If the LR extended warranty is the same as mine, as taken out from the LR dealer after the manufacturers warranty ended, then in the policy booklet and summary of 'What is covered' it states 'oil leaks'.

Post #344703 11th Mar 2018 11:52 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>