« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Roof Bars/Rack 2013 HSE/LUX
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
ugg

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Buckingham Blue
Roof Bars/Rack 2013 HSE/LUX

I would like to carry an OZ-TENT on a roof rack for Landie shows ect.
Mine has a panoramic sun roof/ what bars do I buy cheap??
All I have looked at are very dear.

Cheers in advance.

ugg Don't wait for your Ship to come in.. Swim out and meet the Bl**dy thing (Barry Sheene)

Freelander HSE LUX SD4 2013 (6000 miles in..)
Discovery 300tdi 1998 (gone to the rust God) but not forgotten
Range Rover Autobiography 4.6 2000
Disco 200tdi
Defender 90 52 reg TD5
Hyundai Terracan 2004(my mud plugger)
Kawasaki KLZ 1000 2012
Suzuki T500 1970 (my Honey)

Post #344127 5th Mar 2018 6:51 pm
Largered

You need to get the roof rails for a panoramic sunroof, they are slightly different to the standard non-sunroof ones, they allow the sunroof to be opened without hitting the cross bar that fit on the roof rails.

The problem you will have is the roof rails AND the cross bars will not give you a level platform. I built a special frame to make everything level ( the galvanized platform can be seen in the photos under the roof top tent )

As for OzTent, I have a 'Tagalong' RV1 OzTent that I connect to mine, here are some photos.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

I use the Tagalong as a seating area when it rains. The roof top tent is a Bundutec (from South Africa) that is a true double bed, it is electric motor driven.

Post #344136 5th Mar 2018 7:53 pm
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

I had a roof platform on the car and replaced it to save weight with 4 cross bars to carry second spare wheel on one pair & fuel tanks on the other pair to keep the weight closer to the limit when full.

While I had the roof platform on the car a few times I gingerly stood up there to take some photos. I personally feel that the front mounting should be built stronger as it does move around a bit. Also the front cross bar does flex the forward section of the roof rails as there is quite a span from front to the middle (closer to the rear) mounting. The cast front bracket simply pushing into the extrusion does not exactly make a good solid joint.

You really need something more solid front to rear. More solid left to right especially at the front. The 4 rear connections to the car roof as a group are not too bad.

Not only are the LR roof rails curved, the LR cross bars are curved quite a bit which could be a problem. I straightened the cross bars to within 5-10mm using a bench vice, but the main purpose for doing this was simply clearance so I could get the car in the garage. But it did also allow me to bolt the platform directly to the crossbars.

The front of the platform I had to strap it down to try to brace the platform better. The pressure in tying it down has straightened the front section of the roof rails as they are not that strong.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

The platform channel cross braces also sits on the LR roof rails with rubber blocks. So the platform is screwed down to a pair of cross bars & 2 more contact points on both roof rails. It was the best I could do at the time for the platform. If I was doing it all again and still wanted to use a platform I would get a completely custom made roof rail and cross brace setup built to hold the platform. Actually I would get the platform itself custom built as it would not need to be so heavy. The whole setup coulb be designed as one complete roof unit.

As it was I completely pulled the platform apart & cut it to size. 200 or so pop rivets later rebuilt it to suit the car! So now it is a custom Freelander accessory! Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Last edited by Lightwater on 5th Mar 2018 9:09 pm. Edited 2 times in total

Post #344140 5th Mar 2018 8:43 pm
Largered

Lightwater, your roof rails are not the genuine LR part, but an aftermarket product. Which is why you were able to 'bend' them straight.
Further your platform is extruded aluminium with plastic corner joints, which you say yourself is not ideal.

Post #344141 5th Mar 2018 9:02 pm
Lightwater

The problem when one starts down a path & has spent a lot of money you tend to try to fix it up what you have. Better to get a complete custom roof setup made & do it properly the first time.

Having said that, the 4 cross bars to hold fuel tanks & a wheel work well & keep the roof top weight to almost within design limits. I only have to empty one 10 litre tank on the run, which one should do anyway, & the setup is under the weight limit.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

The 4 allen bolts are bolted into a bracket in the extrusion with nylon spacers, not the extrusion itself.
Click image to enlarge
 Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Last edited by Lightwater on 5th Mar 2018 9:27 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #344143 5th Mar 2018 9:22 pm
Lightwater

Largered wrote:
Lightwater, your roof rails are not the genuine LR part, but an aftermarket product. Which is why you were able to 'bend' them straight.

The roof rails flex back to shape, they are the not genuine. The 4 cross bars are genuine & they are the ones I purposely bent straight to clear the garage. The back of the car is highest towards the rear so the only adjustment I could make was to the cross bar. Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Post #344144 5th Mar 2018 9:25 pm
ugg

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Buckingham Blue

I still need to find roof bars that will fit my car with panoramic sunroof.
I just want to carry a tent a few times each year.

land rover want nearly £500
Can you fit the cheap version and just not open sunroof as I'm not that bothered about a sunroof??

Cheers ugg Don't wait for your Ship to come in.. Swim out and meet the Bl**dy thing (Barry Sheene)

Freelander HSE LUX SD4 2013 (6000 miles in..)
Discovery 300tdi 1998 (gone to the rust God) but not forgotten
Range Rover Autobiography 4.6 2000
Disco 200tdi
Defender 90 52 reg TD5
Hyundai Terracan 2004(my mud plugger)
Kawasaki KLZ 1000 2012
Suzuki T500 1970 (my Honey)

Post #344956 14th Mar 2018 12:46 pm
Lightwater

This thread may help: http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic23217.htm...+clearance Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Post #344960 14th Mar 2018 1:10 pm
CJOver

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

Try this link

https://www.powerfuluk.com/vehicles/land-r...06608.html

Post #344969 14th Mar 2018 3:01 pm
Largered

Ugg, you don't need to go to the Main Stealer ........

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LAND-ROVER-FREE...Sw8SNaj-g5

why buy aftermarket products ..... when you can buy OEM.

seller claims they are OEM, but I would check first. Cool

Post #344971 14th Mar 2018 3:51 pm
T4

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Tambora Flame

Thanks for the link. I have placed an order so all will be revealed when it arrives.

Post #344979 14th Mar 2018 7:23 pm
DaveS

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black
Re: Roof Bars/Rack 2013 HSE/LUX

ugg wrote:
I would like to carry an OZ-TENT on a roof rack for Landie shows ect.
Mine has a panoramic sun roof/ what bars do I buy cheap??
All I have looked at are very dear.

Cheers in advance.

ugg

ugg, theres a few pics in my gallery with the tent packed - essentially I fitted the panoramic rails, then thule bars, then oztent basket and a roof box. A bit involved yes but did the trick

Click image to enlarge
 SD4 HSE Lux
Yeti 170 DSG L&K
Freelander 1 Td4 Overlander

Past: Freelander Metropolis, D3, D3, D2, Series 3, Series 3, Freelander 1 (still have this one bought new, the Monte Carlo blue kid)

Post #344995 15th Mar 2018 12:40 am
T4

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Tambora Flame

Largered wrote:
Ugg, you don't need to go to the Main Stealer ........

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LAND-ROVER-FREE...Sw8SNaj-g5

why buy aftermarket products ..... when you can buy OEM.

seller claims they are OEM, but I would check first. Cool

As noted above, I ordered one and it turned up this morning.

Not best pleased as there isn't a Land Rover logo anywhere to be seen so not OEM unless AGT4x4 made them for Land Rover originally ...which I doubt.

So now I have the hassle of returning it and getting my money back. Having seen how other non standard LR parts have fared I would rather either spend the extra or not bother. Crying or Very sad

Last edited by T4 on 19th Mar 2018 4:25 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #345334 19th Mar 2018 12:08 pm
Largered

....... I did say ......

"seller claims they are OEM, but I would check first. "

Sorry you had a bad experience. There are OEM roof rails out there.

Post #345336 19th Mar 2018 12:16 pm
Lightwater

The instructions for my non original roof rails is photocopied on an A4 folded in half. Would have been shrunk down from an A3 based on the layout on the cross bars instructions.

The instructions for each of the 2 pairs of OEM cross bars is an A3 edge to edge B&W print folded in half & stapled. Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Post #345337 19th Mar 2018 12:35 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>