« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > My Freelander 2 > Best time to buy my first FL :) recommendations wanted
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Mustangsally84

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Tonga Green
Best time to buy my first FL :) recommendations wanted

Bought my first Freelander 2 from Land Rover last week.. having swapped out my company car with all the toys (Audi A3 S line) for a suitable towing vehicle for my 4 legged friend, I was resigned to the fact that I’d have to compromise on luxury and fuel efficiency!

However, despite already having the DPF sensor replaced following the engine man light coming on as soon as I drove it off the forecourt, I have been revelling in playing with the beast in these snowy conditions!! Love it and looking forward to adding some modifications to make it all that more comfortable to spend lots of hours behind the wheel..

Thinking seat covers, reversing cam and tinted windows.. Any suggestions welcome Smile

Last edited by Mustangsally84 on 2nd Mar 2018 7:57 am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #343711 1st Mar 2018 9:25 pm
Mustangsally84

photos

photos

Post #343714 1st Mar 2018 9:45 pm
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

Luxury is when you don't have to climb out of potholes & all the small cars with low profile tyres are pretty second rate. Being able to get in & out of a car with style! The small low cars does your back in as you get older.

As far as fuel economy unless you are doing a truck load of kilometres, at the end of the year it is not worth stressing out over a few hundred dollars which you would otherwise waste on pointless rubbish. Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #343721 1st Mar 2018 10:54 pm
Mustangsally84

Very true about the poles- the first evening I took it out, I went to a friends for dinner, down a lane that was totally ruined by gaping holes in the road- such a pleasure to ride over... and speed bumps too lol

However, I have found the upright position of the seats is not doing my back a lot of good compared to the sports seats I had in my Audi... will be doing 90 motorway miles a day, 3 times a week, would be interested to know if anyone has heard of any moulder seats covers or additional support for comfort/ lumbar support?

Post #343729 2nd Mar 2018 7:56 am
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

You will get use to the upright position in a few weeks, & in the long run probably better for you.

If you do not have seat arm rests get a cubby box. The window sill is wider than any other car & great for your elbow while steering. Both levels work well which give you a change of position on longer trips. Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #343734 2nd Mar 2018 9:11 am
ronp

Scotland 

Very nice and a proper LR colour too.

Tinted windows would be my first mod.

Enjoy. Thumbs Up FL2 now gone and have a couple of items left for sale:-

Brodit active iPhone holder + Brodit dash clip,
Bluetooth Music Streaming Module.

Post #343735 2nd Mar 2018 9:36 am
Mustangsally84

Great tip about the cubby box- just seen some online 👍 sometimes the small things make all the difference

Lightwater wrote:
You will get use to the upright position in a few weeks, & in the long run probably better for you.

If you do not have seat arm rests get a cubby box. The window sill is wider than any other car & great for your elbow while steering. Both levels work well which give you a change of position on longer trips.

Post #343837 2nd Mar 2018 11:18 pm
Mustangsally84

ronp wrote:
Very nice and a proper LR colour too.

Tinted windows would be my first mod.

Enjoy. Thumbs Up

Yep, dependant on how much I sell the Audi for, they’re def top of the list!

Post #343838 2nd Mar 2018 11:19 pm
Tigger

United Kingdom 

What a great time to make that swap. I also moved on from a generic car to my first FL2. It was 2011 and I’ve not looked back since (see below). I hate climbing down into ordinary cars now.

It’s a shame about the seat comfort though. I didn’t get that myself, not even at 35,000 miles a year, so I’m not sure what I’d suggest Confused

As far as mods go, I’d return the exhaust finisher to standard first; it’s only going to make it vulnerable to damage if you start using the car as intended.

Great colour choice 👍

PS: Why are you thinking of seat covers? What do you have in mind?

Post #343846 3rd Mar 2018 8:41 am
Mustangsally84

Tbh the more I drive it, the more I get used to the new driving position and I love it even more.. used it to harrow my friend’s ménage yesterday to get rid of the last of the snow and enjoyed testing it further on that sand and rubber surface Smile

Tigger, ref the seat covers- it’s only so I don’t ruin them by getting them covered in mud.. seems like a shame to cover them as they’re a nice design but then I’d like to look after them too.. might just buy some cheap covers from Aldi or somewhere to use when out competing, or when I’m wearing my muddy clothes!

Post #343991 4th Mar 2018 1:41 pm
robbyvrs

England 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 Dynamic Manual Fuji White

I use a universal Snap-On seat cover on the drivers seat for work, cost more than normal ones but still looks new after 3 years (great quality).

If you don't want to cover up your fabric seats then you could spray some Scotchguard on them so you can wipe them over to keep them clean

Post #343998 4th Mar 2018 2:30 pm
Tigger

United Kingdom 

Are you sure that’s Tonga Green? It looks like Kosrae Green in the photos (my first FL2 and still my favourite green Thumbs Up )

If your planning on using it off road, see if you get your hands on a either anew old stock, or good used, Mantec bash plate and Mantec tank guard. Unfortunately no longer made, but well worth it and they really look the part!

Post #344012 4th Mar 2018 3:51 pm
Mustangsally84

robbyvrs wrote:
I use a universal Snap-On seat cover on the drivers seat for work, cost more than normal ones but still looks new after 3 years (great quality).

If you don't want to cover up your fabric seats then you could spray some Scotchguard on them so you can wipe them over to keep them clean

Scotch guard- great shout! Sorted Smile

Post #344023 4th Mar 2018 5:57 pm
Mustangsally84

Tigger wrote:
Are you sure that’s Tonga Green? It looks like Kosrae Green in the photos (my first FL2 and still my favourite green Thumbs Up )

If your planning on using it off road, see if you get your hands on a either anew old stock, or good used, Mantec bash plate and Mantec tank guard. Unfortunately no longer made, but well worth it and they really look the part!

Tigger- you’re probably right about the colour- I’m not actually at all sure what green it is- there’s no paint code label inside the driver’s door, where I’ve read it should be... not sure how else to find out as it’s not on any of the paperwork...

Like the use of the bashplate- certainly will protect it in some of the ruts it may end up experiencing!

Post #344024 4th Mar 2018 5:59 pm
dondiddy

United Kingdom 2012 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Firenze Red

Paint code label is on the passengers side. Its low down on the front door inner frame almost at sill level. Its quite hard to see unless you bend down to sill level then you should see it ok. Thumbs Up

Post #344026 4th Mar 2018 6:04 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>