Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays > Are there simple solutions to Eur 6 charging problems?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
awlmane

United Kingdom 
Are there simple solutions to Eur 6 charging problems?

I have little experience of car electrics, only enough to know that they can be baffling at times. I have only just bought my Metropolis and as yet have not towed with it. I was shocked to find out that the Eur 6 alternator can cause us problems, although the Stirling Wildside can sort these out. However, I am reluctant to spend out even more money to solve this problem. Perhaps someone with more expertise would like to comment on ideas I've had. My Bailey has a 100W solar panel on the roof, would this charge sufficiently to overcome the 'drain' on the van battery. The van battery would be fully charged before each journey. If not, would driving with headlights on, Meridian audio on and climate fan on high, keep the alternator pushing out sufficient charge for the 110 a/h van battery to operate the mover at the end of each journey? Alternatively, surely an isolation switch or simple disconnection of the battery lead would solve the problem. The fridge isn't a problem as my wife always insists on us starting off with the fridge being at freezing point. Sometimes a simple solution is as good as a techy one. I await in hope.

Post #345690 24th Mar 2018 11:35 am
Dartman the one

England 

There is no problem towing powering the fridge and charging a van battery with any FL2 providing you use bespoke tow wiring loom either 13 pin or 7pin N and S, any cut and splice may well damage the car due to the canbus system. You've bought a Land Rover they are designed and built to tow more or less anything. my PC is slightly to the right of Genghis
2012 HSE SD4 In Orkney Grey now gone, best car ever.

Post #345720 24th Mar 2018 3:14 pm
awlmane

United Kingdom 

Thanks Dartman. I don't know if you are entirely correct as the problem with the Euro 6 alternator has been highlighted on this forum. However, I will tow for the first time with the Freelander and hope that everything will be OK.

Post #345730 24th Mar 2018 4:55 pm
Bluebird1999

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Santorini Black

Surely Euro 6 relates to emissions?
I tow a caravan with my 64 plate TD4 se fitted with dedicated wiring loom and 13 pin electrics, I run my fridge on electrics while towing and Ive never experienced any problems, I also have a motor mover and it always has plenty of grunt when I arrive on site. 64 plate TD4 SE Santorini Black
2021 Mazda MX5 GT Sport Tech

Post #345744 24th Mar 2018 8:03 pm
awlmane

United Kingdom 

Hi Bluebird. Yes, indeed it does, but both your car and mine have an' intelligent' alternator that cuts out when the car battery is sufficiently charged. not becoming live again until the car battery is down to 80%. The problem is supposed to be that when towing, the alternator also waits until the van battery is down to 80%. However, if you don't have a problem then neither should I. Cheers.

Post #345753 24th Mar 2018 9:42 pm
Dartman the one

England 

There was a problem with early FL2's, LR rectified this and there have not been any problems since. my PC is slightly to the right of Genghis
2012 HSE SD4 In Orkney Grey now gone, best car ever.

Post #345777 25th Mar 2018 8:02 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1