Print this entire topic · 
BSR67

United Kingdom 2012 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Barolo Black

Very tempting.

I'm concerned that this one is a pig

Post #344113 5th Mar 2018 2:31 pm
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red

Yes but what about the car. Rolling with laughter Sorry I apologise but could not resist Embarassed FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #344114 5th Mar 2018 2:33 pm
BSR67

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Post #344115 5th Mar 2018 2:33 pm
JulesK

Wales 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Firenze Red

This garage need naming for trying to accommodate you not shaming, know you're frustrated as I've been there but hang in there as they seem a damn sight more helpful than the bunch of morons I was stuck with Evil or Very Mad If it wasn't so bad it'd be funny.

🐑
Freelander 2 HSE auto 2014 ( Florrie ) ..... Try again.
Freelander 2 GS 2012...... Gone.

Post #344116 5th Mar 2018 3:01 pm
Hippo

United Kingdom 

BSR67 wrote:
That's true of course. The garage has no control over the weather.

The issue is that the fault was not picked up before they sold me the car. It had been through their workshops to repair light accident damage to the off-side front wheel and front wing - it now turns out that it is the damage the front wheel assembly sustained that broke the differential. That's why I'm unimpressed - this could have been prevented with greater vigilance.
The only way they could have picked up this fault was to either:
- put it on rollers to check the 4x4 system is 4x4 (few garages have 4x roller set-ups)
- lift the vehicle up by it's body work and rotate the front wheels individually to see if they still turn when the other front wheel is held, whilst it's in gear (park for auto's) and neutral. Also turn one front wheel to see the other turn in the opposite direction

Few garages would think to do this sort of manual diagnostic work as you wouldn't expect to see many broken front end diff's. Standard PDI pre dispatch inspections wouldn't do this sort of thing or detect it either. The average garage wouldn't detect the fault on a vehicle they took in in part exchange. This sort of problem will only show up if there's loss of drive, or in your case a clank. Hippo's videos - Honorary Tratterer

Post #344118 5th Mar 2018 3:17 pm
blacktiger

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

Yorky Bob wrote:
Time to cut your losses and find another one your wife will love.

I agree. Just reject the car on the grounds that you weren't told about the extent of the accident damage. It doesn't matter that they didn't know either. You wouldn't have bought the car if you knew. MY13 Santorini Black SD4 HSE

Post #344119 5th Mar 2018 3:35 pm
BSR67

Probably a bit late now.

Before the further delays, I made the decision to have also paid for clutch to be replaced whilst gearbox is off - parts only, not labour.

All in all an unhappy series of events.

Post #344120 5th Mar 2018 3:47 pm
BSR67

Hippo wrote:
BSR67 wrote:
That's true of course. The garage has no control over the weather.

The issue is that the fault was not picked up before they sold me the car. It had been through their workshops to repair light accident damage to the off-side front wheel and front wing - it now turns out that it is the damage the front wheel assembly sustained that broke the differential. That's why I'm unimpressed - this could have been prevented with greater vigilance.
The only way they could have picked up this fault was to either:
- put it on rollers to check the 4x4 system is 4x4 (few garages have 4x roller set-ups)
- lift the vehicle up by it's body work and rotate the front wheels individually to see if they still turn when the other front wheel is held, whilst it's in gear (park for auto's) and neutral. Also turn one front wheel to see the other turn in the opposite direction

Few garages would think to do this sort of manual diagnostic work as you wouldn't expect to see many broken front end diff's. Standard PDI pre dispatch inspections wouldn't do this sort of thing or detect it either. The average garage wouldn't detect the fault on a vehicle they took in in part exchange. This sort of problem will only show up if there's loss of drive, or in your case a clank.

They test drove after repair and reported in ran and drove 'beautifully'.

Post #344121 5th Mar 2018 3:49 pm
JulesK

Wales 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Firenze Red

problem here is going to be if you have doubts now with the car will they go away or just nag at you?
best of luck whatever you choose Thumbs Up If it wasn't so bad it'd be funny.

🐑
Freelander 2 HSE auto 2014 ( Florrie ) ..... Try again.
Freelander 2 GS 2012...... Gone.

Post #344125 5th Mar 2018 4:59 pm
BSR67

Just going to have to use it and hope if works out.

I’ve told the garage it will go back for a final health check before the extended warranty runs out.

My wife and I have now been seriously inconvenienced - being without a car for two weeks is a pain.

Post #344134 5th Mar 2018 7:42 pm
Hippo

United Kingdom 

If yer still concerned about it when you get it back... get someone local off ere to give it a test drive to see if it feels/drives like other FL2's. Also get a private mot tester to have a look at it. Not a recorded full mot, just pay them to go through the normal checks to see if they spot anything of concern you could get fixed while still under warranty. Failing that an AA inspection but they're more expensive. Hippo's videos - Honorary Tratterer

Post #344148 5th Mar 2018 10:26 pm
BSR67

Still not got the car back.

Gearbox arrived Tuesday.

Had email on Wednesday am to say all well, clunk/slap noise now gone.

Had call at 16:50 to say oil leaking from second hand gearbox. Why? Because they've taken a chance and not replaced the drive shaft oil seals. A massive £12 each.

Advised seal would be delivered between 11am and 2pm today. Emailed at 13:30 and was advised, at 13:51, that still no delivery of oil seal ....

The car has now been in the garage 16 days.

When I finally get it back, I'm guessing there will be an additional 10,000 miles on the clock with the feint evidence of Uber stickers having been removed .... !

Complete and utter shower. Just trying to fix a faulty car on the cheap. Absolutely no confidence in the car or the garage now.

Post #344441 8th Mar 2018 3:11 pm
dennij

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver

If you have already lost confidence in the car then you should really look at going down the rejection route. From what I have read the garage have tried to resolve the issues and it seems that they have kept you up to date, even if it is with news you didn't expect/want to hear. Not a lot of garages, including main dealers seem to have this skill these days, it's left up to the customer to do all the chasing just to find out what's going on.

As has been mentioned before, a lot of components have been changed including the clutch and DMF which at least means these items are no longer a worry for you. In hindsight the garage are probably feeling a bit stupid for not changing the seals when they had the chance but these things happen, even to us that do our own repairs.

Take some time to weigh everything up and digest all the responses you've had so far and if you still feel that the confidence isn't there then let the garage know that you are going to reject the car. There are plenty of FL2's for sale out there and I'm sure you will find another.

Post #344443 8th Mar 2018 3:36 pm
BSR67

Hi

No. For the avoidance of doubt, I have, in the vast majority of cases, had to chase them for updates.

I suspect they are now brutally embarrassed, but frankly that is not my problem, and I firmly believe this could for the most part have been prevented.

I've extended the balance of warranty by agreement. If the car so much as coughs during the warranty period, I will reject it and seek remedies.

Post #344445 8th Mar 2018 3:46 pm
dennij

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver

How long is your warranty period? There is a time limit for rejection if I remember correctly which is up to 6 months from the purchase date. The extended warranty would only mean that any defects would be repaired by the supplying garage. Others on here could probably give better advice as I'm not in the legal profession

Post #344446 8th Mar 2018 3:49 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 4 <1234>