Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > FL2 Drive Train issues
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
Marksovereign

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Stornoway Grey

Might I suggest a conversation with Austen at Bell Engineering who is the Guru of Freelander transmissions. I would imagine he could point you in the right direction.
I have a 11 plate which has had both a new transfer box at 42k and rear diff at 60k so they do have an achilles heel. That said once sorted they are trouble free provided the replacements have the uprated bearings.
Sounds like your dealer hasn't got a clue, though the benefit is you will have had a new drive train!

Post #343552 28th Feb 2018 12:00 pm
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

I once had a Ford Granada company car that had a strange vibration around 50mph, not a lot but noticeable and you could always drive through it. Every time it went in for a service the dealer would have another look at it, they checked everything, swapped tyres and wheels, checked wheel bearings etc and got nowhere then one day a big rattle developed and a CV joint in a rear half shaft had thrown a wobbly. They replaced the half shaft and the vibration disappeared. 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #343587 28th Feb 2018 5:04 pm
MRRover75

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Tambora Flame

After reading this, is there any good way to diagnoze a worn driveshaft joint?

Post #343630 1st Mar 2018 8:52 am
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red

One that is not withing a outer casing if worn.

Put on ramp and just twist it, or put on ramp and get the "other" mechanic to drive backwards and forwards a little and then listen and watch. Anything really worn should be obvious and possibly ping or similar noise like a clunk/click.

Alas computers can't do that for you so modern mechanics are stumped or so it would seem. Rolling Eyes FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #343634 1st Mar 2018 9:21 am
dorsetfreelander

It's important when testing CV joints that the wheel is off the ground and the joint is free to move (and handbrake off) as the car might stop in a position where the joint is still under some torsion and you won't always feel any play. 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto

Post #343638 1st Mar 2018 10:08 am
Yorky Bob

CV's test used to be full lock and power on in a car park, if knacked they click like a machine gun going off. FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #343643 1st Mar 2018 10:26 am
dorsetfreelander

I suppose it depend on how far it's gone and which end of the half shaft. We had an inner front CV on an FL2 go and all we had was a vibration at speed at times. If it's at the wheel end of the half shaft the full lock test should show up more easily. 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto

Post #343645 1st Mar 2018 10:30 am
Andy131

United Kingdom 

Our transfer box died at quite a high mileage (150k), when I stripped it down the splines on the drivers side front drive shaft were also shot, still working but probably for not much longer. Could be the same fault on yours

Take a look here for pictures -

http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic26133.html Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #343833 2nd Mar 2018 10:41 pm
BSR67

United Kingdom 2012 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Barolo Black

Unbelievably I still don't have my Freelander 2 back.

The garage diagnosed a broken diff in the gearbox on Monday 26th February. They advised that the breakage meant it was only driving one front wheel, which it won't do, and the clank/slap was the noise of it transferring drive to the rear wheels only. Hmmmmm.

They advised they had ordered a used gearbox unit (this is an independent garage who underwrite their own warranties), on Monday 26th.

Then the snow came ......

It's now Monday 5th March and they are advising that collection and delivery from Kent has been seriously delayed due to late collection and delayed delivery due to backlog.

Bought the car on the 1st February, Identified the drive train issues within 5 days, and then it went into limp mode after 10 days.

It went into the garage on Wednesday 21st February (having already been back for a morning the week before to plug it into the computer for the limp mode and diagnose the clank/slap noise) and if I'm lucky, it will be back on Wednesday 7th - a whole TWO weeks after leaving it there.

I have extended the original 30 day warranty on the basis I have had ten days use out of it.

I'm not going to be unprofessional and name and shame, but I'm sorely tempted.

I should have asked for my money back days ago, but my wife is adamant she wants the car back because she loves it!

BSR67

Post #344106 5th Mar 2018 1:51 pm
CJOver

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

It sounds like the garage is doing it's best for you and they have been very honest in explaining what is going on and what is causing the delays - the weather in Kent has not been very helpful in this matter.

Post #344107 5th Mar 2018 1:58 pm
dondiddy

United Kingdom 2012 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Firenze Red

Why would you name and shame a garage that has absolutely no control over the weather or delays to courier deliveries as a result.? The whole country is about a week behind where it should be due to the snow! Big Cry

Post #344108 5th Mar 2018 2:02 pm
blacktiger

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

[quote="BSR67"]

RogB wrote:
Beggars belief what can actually lie beneath.

Absolutely. I just read a problem from someone on the Freelander Facebook page has had, where 5&1/2 months ago they bought a FL1 and only when it snowed and they got stuck did they discover that it didn't have a rear drive Prop shaft fitted. MY13 Santorini Black SD4 HSE

Post #344109 5th Mar 2018 2:02 pm
RogB

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

that was a common thing on the FL1 if the VCU started to sieze or the rear diff clunked on power take up, by removing the prop shaft (and the inline VCU and bearings) you made it front wheel drive only and the IRD and rear diff would last a few more years.

I ran my first FL1 with prop shaft removed for about 6 months, lots of inadvertent front wheel spin at junctions but better MPG. I would never have sold it on without telling a new owner though and it actually got marked as an advisory on the MOT that it was missing. I took it to Austen @ Bell so the VCU and bearings could be replaced and ran it for another year or so before the gearbox started on its way out.

Post #344110 5th Mar 2018 2:16 pm
BSR67

United Kingdom 2012 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Barolo Black

dondiddy wrote:
Why would you name and shame a garage that has absolutely no control over the weather or delays to courier deliveries as a result.? The whole country is about a week behind where it should be due to the snow! Big Cry

That's true of course. The garage has no control over the weather.

The issue is that the fault was not picked up before they sold me the car. It had been through their workshops to repair light accident damage to the off-side front wheel and front wing - it now turns out that it is the damage the front wheel assembly sustained that broke the differential. That's why I'm unimpressed - this could have been prevented with greater vigilance.

Post #344111 5th Mar 2018 2:24 pm
Yorky Bob

Time to cut your losses and find another one your wife will love. FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #344112 5th Mar 2018 2:26 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>