Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > My Freelander 2 > Buying advice needed!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
O-B-Wan003

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black
Buying advice needed!

Hi all,
As I've been searching for my 'perfect' Freelander for a while now and taken in all kinds of advice from the forum about where to buy, I have come across a 14 plate HSE for sale at Armstrong Massey in Driffeld. They appear very genuine and helpful, however, the advice throughout the forum is; buy from a dealer and avail of the manufacture's warranty etc etc.
AM are telling me that the warranty that comes with the vehicle is with Car Care and is the same that would be provided from a dealer. No issues with that.
My issue/fear is buying from an Indie as this is my first Land Rover purchase and it is a flight away rather than a short drive. At worst it's going to add another £500 at worst to the sale price with travel. The car looks good and ticks all of my boxes in what I am actually looking for. Or do I hang on for another week or so to see if there are any coming through from part exchanges on new 18 plates?
Any thoughts from the collective are very much appreciated. Here's a link to the Freelander at Armstrong Massey:

http://www.armstrongmassey.com/used/land-r...e/18207399

Post #343256 25th Feb 2018 10:10 am
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red

Armstrong used to be the York main LR dealers (my 2 new FL2's came from them) between York and Tadcaster while having a garage at Driffield for many years and know all about Freelanders and Land Rovers. Driff is pretty rural as it goes so not the sort of place you cut corners as the word will travel.

If the car looks right for you its down to reading the warranty on offer from cover to cover. and inside out.

I am in Driff a couple of weekends per month and could pop along and give some feedback in say a weeks time. Could even get you there if you fly into Leeds and Bradford to coincide with my travels.

Could be tempted myself ! Laughing FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #343257 25th Feb 2018 10:31 am
O-B-Wan003

So if I ring tomorrow and find it's already sold I know who to turn to...Bob... Big Cry

I'm 'hoping' to book a flight for the following week owing to a busy schedule this week although they have said they would take a small deposit to secure it. You're right about the warranty though will have to take a more detailed look.

The offer is very much appreciated. If/when I book the flights I'll let you know.

Post #343258 25th Feb 2018 10:42 am
Dave47

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Izmir Blue

Great looking Motor O-B-WAN003 and good luck with your search,
That's a very generous offer Yorky Bob Thumbs Up shows what a great forum this is.
Dave DAVE.
I.A.M. F1rst Driver.
Gone 2003 Discovery TD5 Auto,
Gone 1986 Defender 90 Station Wagon
Gone 1984 Range Rover 3.5 Vogue Manual.
Gone 1970 Series 11A/3 SWB 3.5 V8 Hybrid
Gone 1964 Series 11A LWB Van
Gone 1966 Series 11A SWB Van
Gone 1964 Series 11A LWB Station Wagon,

Post #343261 25th Feb 2018 11:44 am
Yorky Bob

O-B-Wan003 wrote:
So if I ring tomorrow and find it's already sold I know who to turn to...Bob... Big Cry

I'm 'hoping' to book a flight for the following week owing to a busy schedule this week although they have said they would take a small deposit to secure it. You're right about the warranty though will have to take a more detailed look.

The offer is very much appreciated. If/when I book the flights I'll let you know.

Off to the big hills of Europe 16 March to go mountaineering on skis but otherwise pretty flexible with time so good luck with your purchasing or not. My MOT in the morning so fingers crossed for that. FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #343263 25th Feb 2018 12:31 pm
Sidthecat

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Orkney Grey

As a guide in October, we paid £18k to a Mazda dealership for the same model but on a 63 plate and 47k miles, so it only came with their own 12 month warranty. Dont have the running boards on ours. At that time, that seemed to us to be about the going rate.
May be some movement in his price?

Post #343277 25th Feb 2018 3:33 pm
O-B-Wan003

Dave47 wrote:
Great looking Motor O-B-WAN003 and good luck with your search,
That's a very generous offer Yorky Bob Thumbs Up shows what a great forum this is.
Dave

Absolutely agree and very grateful Bow down . Really appreciate the gesture, thanks Yorky!

Post #343293 25th Feb 2018 5:38 pm
O-B-Wan003

Yorky Bob wrote:
O-B-Wan003 wrote:

Off to the big hills of Europe 16 March to go mountaineering on skis but otherwise pretty flexible with time so good luck with your purchasing or not. My MOT in the morning so fingers crossed for that.

Good luck with the MOT tomorrow Yorky and enjoy them hills. Hopefully doing some of that next winter...maybe even bring the Freely Very Happy

Post #343294 25th Feb 2018 5:39 pm
Yorky Bob

Called into AM in Driff on Saturday, all a bit snowed up but a few later FL2's on site, some have marks on wheels so need refurbs, later low miles stock seems to be from leasing company.

Was offered test drives but declined, tempted though ! FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #344018 4th Mar 2018 4:19 pm
O-B-Wan003

Interesting... I got a phone call from Andy on Saturday asking if I was still interested in either of the Freelanders I had been looking at. Although I did a review check on the Car Care warranty they offer with their cars which doesn't make for good reading. Loads of unsatisfactory comments regarding claims that were either rejected or would have taken ages to fulfil.

The FL2 I had been looking at, SM14AGY, was a fairly good price with the mileage but photos are not a very good marker when your looking for fine details.

Another Metropolis came up at Marshalls Volvo in Leeds which was a local vehicle with low miles but wasn't the Marshalls of Lincoln I thought it was, doh!! Pretty nice package but... There's a Met that has been sitting at Beadles in Sitcup for a while that a cousin of mine could have a gander at. It's a pretty hike back to Ireland but could be worth the trip.

I have resigned myself to waiting it out for the right one at a LR dealer.

Thanks for the info though, very much appreciated. Thumbs Up

Post #344019 4th Mar 2018 4:34 pm
Yorky Bob

I got a leaflet re the warranty - far too many cop outs for me to pay for it. They said they stand by the cars for 6 months, better than many but would want it in writing of course. Not sure if you can go to a dealers and get a car checked (at a price) and then put on a 2 LR warranty and if so what charges are but it may be possible.

That one in Leeds is not far from me if you seriously need more info. I got my haldex filter from them 2 years ago (same as volvo) but then its was Hatfields (I think) not Marshall. FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #344020 4th Mar 2018 4:43 pm
O-B-Wan003

Thanks for the offer but I seriously need my head examined Confused On the face of it the one in Leeds is a real beauty at a decent price with low miles but the head keeps telling me to go with a LR dealer. For the same money but twice the miles the Met in Beadles offers security which is hard to turn down.

https://www.marshall.co.uk/land-rover/used...-5dr-auto/

Post #344021 4th Mar 2018 4:53 pm
Sidthecat

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Orkney Grey

[quote
Another Metropolis came up at Marshalls Volvo in Leeds which was a local vehicle with low miles but wasn't the Marshalls of Lincoln I thought it was, doh!! Pretty nice package but... There's a Met that has been sitting at Beadles in Sitcup for a while that a cousin of mine could have a gander at. It's a pretty hike back to Ireland but could be worth the trip.

Thanks for the info though, very much appreciated. Thumbs Up[/quote]

Beadles are my local main dealers and when I was looking around they had several on line but when I went over, they'd actually been sold some weeks prior. Check the car is actually there still before building your hopes up or getting your mate along

Post #344032 4th Mar 2018 6:09 pm
Yorky Bob

Often the case. Evil or Very Mad FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #344035 4th Mar 2018 6:36 pm
O-B-Wan003

Sidthecat wrote:
[quote

Thanks for the info though, very much appreciated. Thumbs Up

Beadles are my local main dealers and when I was looking around they had several on line but when I went over, they'd actually been sold some weeks prior. Check the car is actually there still before building your hopes up or getting your mate along[/quote]

Thanks Sid!

Post #344045 4th Mar 2018 8:32 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1