« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Wheels & Tyres > Scorpion Verde All Season
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Dakers

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Indus Silver
Scorpion Verde All Season

Hi all, been trawling the threads since last night as I've found out the fronts are in need of replacement.

I had kind of settled on ordering a full set of Scorpion Verde All Season from Asda, coming in at £458.80 fitted, but then also saw some reviews talking about awful wet weather performance too.

Does anyone have any words of wisdom or suggestions to help a terminally indecisive person out?
I'd like to replace them ASAP, certainly by next weekend, and don't really want to be driving around in icy conditions with less than stellar grip on the front.

Thanks!

Post #343099 23rd Feb 2018 3:20 pm
Steve D

United Kingdom 

Fitted as standard equipment on many Evoques. Fitted a new set on mine 18 months ago. Been absolutely fine with them apart from getting an unrepairable puncture on one of them after less than 300 miles. Crying or Very sad Past: FL2 TD4 HSE Auto
Evoque SD4 Dynamic Lux Auto
Present: Audi A3 S Line.

Post #343103 23rd Feb 2018 3:37 pm
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

The Scorpion Verde All Season are my preferred tyre and caused me no trouble at all and lasted longer than the original Continentals. FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 74k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #343105 23rd Feb 2018 3:53 pm
Dakers

Thanks guys, putting my mind at ease a bit!

Have you had any experience of them off-road? I don't need an AT tyre, but need to be able to cope on a farm or to a shoot for example.

Post #343116 23rd Feb 2018 4:52 pm
paxman

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Orkney Grey

That is a good price for the set. I had the scorpion verde set and after 34000 miles one of the tyre broke the side wall so I replaced with a new set of Michelin cross climate.
In my opinion the verde is ok but nothing worth to write home about. From new the tyres are quiet, much more so when compared to the scorpion zero which are OEM tyres, but after 30000 miles you notice the road noise even though the treads are still 4-5 mms left. The drive is quite vague as someone here pointed out and I didn't like the tyres wall bursting like that.
The cross climate are a joy to drive, they are much quieter and sure footed in the wet. Unfortunately they are about £100 more than the scorpion verde set and that puts people off buying them.

Post #343117 23rd Feb 2018 5:11 pm
Dakers

Thanks for the detail too. It's certainly a point to consider. On BlackCircles with an offer code, the set of 4 comes to £527.92, close, but still with a wedding this year every penny is counting.
Coming off the back of a service, MOT and set of brakes yesterday too it's going to sting whatever I do Smile

Post #343120 23rd Feb 2018 5:19 pm
p_gill

United States 2008 Freelander 2 i6 SE Auto Tambora Flame

Dakers,

I am using the Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season on my Freelander II, and I am very happy with them.

P235/60R-18 PIRELLI SCORPION VERDE ALL SEASON XL

Click image to enlarge

I did read some reviews before I made my purchase and I was concerned about wet traction

Quote from a tire rack test

Quote:
The Scorpion Verde All Season's weak performance in the wet comes as somewhat of a surprise, as this tire led wet traction results the last time we tested it. It also came as a surprise to Pirelli, who is investigating what may have caused the loss of wet traction. We noted a change in the plant where these tires were produced versus the ones we tested a year ago and wonder what influence this change may have brought to the equation.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=176

Based on this I checked to see where my Pirelli's were being made and I checked where the tires that Tire Rack had been tested were made.

The Pirelli's that I bought were made in the U.K. and I think that the ones that the tire rack was unhappy with were made somewhere else (not in the UK or Italy). So I took a chance made my purchase and I've been very happy.

Having said all of that Pirelli has also introduced a + version

Origional - Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season

New version - Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season Plus

I looked at the + version and I didn't get it because its not as good in the rain (longer life, less rolling resistance and worse in the rain)

Overall I've been very happy with mine

Good Luck

Paul

Post #343122 23rd Feb 2018 5:24 pm
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red

CrossClimates Thumbs Up

Rolled over my first car due to tyres. Not worth arguing over a few quid so go for the best you can afford and generally they last longer than cheap brands. FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #343129 23rd Feb 2018 5:42 pm
Dakers

Just for an update I had the Cross Climates fitted this morning. In the end managed to get the price difference down to less than £60 between those and the Scorpion Verde All Season, and decided it was close enough to make the jump.

Post #345170 16th Mar 2018 6:24 pm
Sidthecat

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Orkney Grey

paxman wrote:
That is a good price for the set. I had the scorpion verde set and after 34000 miles one of the tyre broke the side wall so I replaced with a new set of Michelin cross climate.
In my opinion the verde is ok but nothing worth to write home about. From new the tyres are quiet, much more so when compared to the scorpion zero which are OEM tyres, but after 30000 miles you notice the road noise even though the treads are still 4-5 mms left. The drive is quite vague as someone here pointed out and I didn't like the tyres wall bursting like that.
The cross climate are a joy to drive, they are much quieter and sure footed in the wet. Unfortunately they are about £100 more than the scorpion verde set and that puts people off buying them.

Had the CrossClimate on my Subaru Forester - would have happily replaced with the same when the time came, but sold it in the meantime. Good all rounder in my opinion and at the time scored well in reviews.
Got a deal with Black Circles and triple? Tesco points which worked out about £25 I believe

Post #345181 17th Mar 2018 4:19 am
JulesK

Wales 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Firenze Red

What actually is the factory fitted tyres on a Freelander, or do they differ between models? If it wasn't so bad it'd be funny.

🐑
Freelander 2 HSE auto 2014 ( Florrie ) ..... Try again.
Freelander 2 GS 2012...... Gone.

Post #345188 17th Mar 2018 7:25 am
p_gill

For my 2008 SE 3.2 it came with Continental CrossContact UHP 235 60 on 18" wheels

I did find an interesting tire test.

I added the PDF to my gallery, but I'm not certain if it can be opened using the link below (it works for me, let me know if it doesn't for you)

https://www.freel2.com/gallery/albums/user...e_test.pdf

Note: the Scorpion Verde tires in the test are the summer version not the all season version and it is not surprising that they landed in first place for all of the objective tests. I suspect that the allseason version would have still scored well but not nearly as well

Take care

Paul

Post #345385 19th Mar 2018 9:44 pm
p_gill

From the PDF

Note: I added the totals and I split the objective and the subjective tests.

For the Objective tests the focus was on Road Performance

For this test First place went to the Pirelli and second place went to the Continental that came originally on my Land Rover

Click image to enlarge

For the subjective tests the order is completely different

The judges preferred the LX Conti's, Michelin and Bridgestone

What's notable is the the Pirelli was last and Conti UHP was second from last.

Click image to enlarge

For me personally I like the way my Land Rover handled with the Conti UHP, if this tire were affordable I would buy another set without hesitation. However the cost here in the US is about double for the Conti's as compared to the Pirelli, so I bought the Pirelli's (I did get the all season version)

Hopefully this is helpful

Paul

Post #345386 19th Mar 2018 10:19 pm
Worms

Scotland 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Zermatt Silver

Interesting the difference between the objective and subjective scores, particularly the two elk tests versus the “handling” figure. I never felt confident with the Verdes on the front (I tended to get random “Oh Censored !” understeer moments on bends) and replacing these (I chose Vredestein Quatracs) transformed it immediately. All the tests seem to say that Verde should be much better than it actually feels! 2005 D3 2.7 Auto
Previously:
2010 MY FL2 TD4e GS - Now gone at 199,500 miles, about 135,000 of them mine.
‘93 Defender 110 200TDi CSW
‘87 Defender 90 4 cyl Petrol
‘83 110 CSW V8 - best ever!
Range Rover 2-door V8 (not sure of year - 4-speed box and vacuum diff switch)
Series III SWB Diesel

Post #345388 19th Mar 2018 10:41 pm
p_gill

I haven't driven on the roads in the U.K. (Passenger yes, but Driver no) so it is difficult for me to know for sure that what I am about to write is valid.

Based on what i've heard and read you have A, B, C, D roads with the last two being unofficial

A roads - highways or similar, typical speeds of 70 mph (Note: this may only be true at 3 am due to congestion)

B roads - local roads with moderate to heavy traffic typical speeds 40 mph

C roads - may not be wide enough for two way traffic, blind curves, unpredictable camber changes

D roads - road surface may change without notice, paved to unpaved etc.

Let me know if I captured it correctly.

If I did then the Pirelli and Conti UHP work fine for me here in the US on A and B roads.

I don't travel on C or D roads during a typical day.

So if you are traveling on what I would call a country lane on a daily basis then the tire that you are going to be happy with is likely to be the more predictable tire because the road is unpredictable.

Having said that I think that its likely that anyone living near you would prefer your selection of Vredestein Quatracs verses the Pirelli or Conti's.

Thanks for sharing your experience

Paul

Post #345394 19th Mar 2018 11:48 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>