« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Bio diesel
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Bioman1966

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Sumatra Black
Bio diesel

Hi guys, Had my freelander for just over 2 months. Loving it so far. At the moment it’s running on around 20% Bio. I know they arnt supposed to be that cracking on Bio, aim is to try and get it up to at least 50% by gradually introducing it. Any other people using. Bio on a blend. Bioman1966

Post #342163 12th Feb 2018 5:01 pm
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red

By bio do you mean recycled chip frying oils ?

If it was a old fashioned diesel pump and injectors it may be fine but even then in Winter it may freeze.

My thoughts are you get what you pay for and I would not be prepared to use it on a engine of this type with so many electrical sensors just sat ready and waiting to put you in limp mode.

What will it realistically save you in a year, it won't be the price of all new fuel system. Sad FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #342165 12th Feb 2018 5:19 pm
Bioman1966

Yes, by Bio, I mean properly made Bio diesel. I have made Bio diesel myself for over 11 years now, saving myself thousands of pounds. Most of my cars have been common rail motors, the last I have had for over 2 1/2 years. I haven’t had any trouble with any of the cars I have had. By all intents and porpoises, Biodiesel is very similar to regular diesel, not veg oil diluted with turps or other thinning agents. Bioman1966

Post #342173 12th Feb 2018 7:43 pm
alex_pescaru

Just of curiosity... How do you make bio-diesel? At home or industrial grade? Can you spare some details?
Here, on my country, the bio-diesel blend is about 7-10%. No hiccups until now. And I am sure 20% will be fine too. Very Happy

Post #342178 12th Feb 2018 8:16 pm
MartynB

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Zermatt Silver

Each to their own , but after a lifetime working in chemicals marketing and distribution , the last thing I want ,is to be mucking around with methanol and caustic blends Rolling with laughter Good luck to you sir , I was involved in a project to market pharmaceutical glycerine as a co-product from biodiesel production and spent a lot of time on some very big plants, so to be honest I’d rather spend the thousands in duty ... it’s too much like work used to be , I’d rather be fishing Laughing

alex_pescaru wrote:
Just of curiosity... How do you make bio-diesel? At home or industrial grade? Can you spare some details?
Here, on my country, the bio-diesel blend is about 7-10%. No hiccups until now. And I am sure 20% will be fine too. Very Happy

Question you want to ask yourself Alex is this : am I competent in working with Toxic , Flammable , and Corrosive products in such a manner as I will not cause myself , Blindness , Chemical burns , Death by poisoning , or blowiup my garage ? Laughing The most dangerous part of the process is probably producing the Methoxides . 2009 GS Auto Zermatt Silver - Sold June 21 after 10 years of ownership

2016 Subaru Outback SE 2.0 diesel SE Premium Lineartronic Sold 2024 after 8 years and 80k miles . Best Car I ever owned !

2023 Toyota Hilux invincible X 2.8 Auto .

Post #342179 12th Feb 2018 8:25 pm
Yorky Bob

By all intents and porpoises, Biodiesel is very similar to regular diesel, not veg oil diluted with turps or other thinning agents. Bioman1966

We rest our case its turned you into fish paste man Laughing FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #342184 12th Feb 2018 9:11 pm
MartynB

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Zermatt Silver

Bioman is correct though Bob , if you want to set up the process you can produce the stuff as a cottage industry . He is obviously geared up to do it . I beiieve he has saved thousands especially if you consider that clean feedstock like palm oil or rape oil costs next to nothing . I’m sure that many people are doing the same . The biggest issue that many will have these days is buying the methanol , many distributors are loath to sell small lots that can not be traced after sale , particularly as they are responsible for the packaging for life now . 2009 GS Auto Zermatt Silver - Sold June 21 after 10 years of ownership

2016 Subaru Outback SE 2.0 diesel SE Premium Lineartronic Sold 2024 after 8 years and 80k miles . Best Car I ever owned !

2023 Toyota Hilux invincible X 2.8 Auto .

Post #342185 12th Feb 2018 9:32 pm
Yorky Bob

OK by me to not pay duty to run a vehicle legally as long as its production is declared to the local authority and local fire service as the last thing anyone of us want is a chemical and fire hazard next door unlicensed. Home insurance companies may not be that happy either of course !

I used to store 10 Pounds of Semtex in my shed/garage on licence 30 years ago so I am not over reacting re what is possible within the law of this land.

Was as safe as houses so long as I kept the 100 or so detonators under my bed. Rolling Eyes FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Last edited by Yorky Bob on 13th Feb 2018 10:30 am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #342188 12th Feb 2018 9:45 pm
Bioman1966

After 11 years making it I think I know what I am doing by now. Lol. The quantities I make are fully within any guidelines set by local authorities. All bunded, and under lock and key. If I can carry on making it for as long as I can, I will. To all porpoises lol Razz if I can make 2500ltr tax free fuel for 15pltr I will. Bioman1966

Post #342220 13th Feb 2018 10:25 am
RogB

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

is that 2500L per year?

so a saving of approx. £2625 per year at current prices..... Shocked

Post #342224 13th Feb 2018 10:42 am
Bioman1966

No mate. 2500ltr per processor, so if I set another one up that would be 5000ltr. Mad I know. As long as you keep records of what you are collecting/making and putting in car, the customs people are happy. With been a chef I can readily source oil at places I go chefing at. Bioman1966

Post #342228 13th Feb 2018 11:27 am
RogB

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

yeh they aren't interested unless your selling it on. personal use if fine.

but I would still be ultra cautious with modern engines as it was rumoured that manufacturers were adapting ECU's fuelling to reduce bio usage

Post #342230 13th Feb 2018 11:48 am
Past master

United Kingdom 

I ran my TD5 on 50% bio and it improved performance and mpg. I bought mine from a man on a trading estate in Walthamstow who makes it commercially. However I haven't run my FL2s on it - read some comments about it not being so good for common rail motors. All diesel has 5-10% bio now by law, and some German manufacturers in particular are happy to allow greater concentrations.
Morrisons used to have a 20% bio pump, but they seem to have discontinued that.
I wouldn't rush to use it on the latest Ingenium engine - there is a claim that because bio doesn't evaporate in the same way as diesel it can lead to increased oil dilution, and that's already an acknowledged problem on the DS.
Alex, there's loads of info on the web, including people happy to sell you the kit, full instructions etc. One of the problems here is getting enough used cooking oil to process!
Incidentally, it's pleasing to note that fatbergs from London's sewers are being turned into bio to run London buses.
https://corporate.thameswater.co.uk/Media/...iesel-life Ex AA Series III LWB Safari - Gone
300TDi Disco (bought new - terrible car) sent back after 18 months
Freelander 1 Estate - leased, given back at end of lease
200TDi Disco (bought from a mate with 100,000 on the clock) - Gone
Disco 2 TD5 - sold and exported to France
FR2 TD4 GS - Gone
FR2 SD4 HSE - Now changed for a DS
New model ex-demo Evoque S 180 in white
Unable to order a new DS, so gave up. Now have a Volvo S90 Recharge.

Post #342270 13th Feb 2018 6:04 pm
Past master

United Kingdom 

I think this is what I read previously:
from http://www.makebiofuel.co.uk/biofuel_faq/
Can I use Biodiesel in my Common Rail Engine?
There is something in the warning about the use of biodiesel in a common rail diesel engine, but this is not what the engine manufacturers would have the public believe. In a common rail diesel engine the fuel can be exposed to higher working temperatures and more recirculation than otherwise. The fuel that is in the injection rail gets up to 100°C and most of this does not get injected, but recirculated back to the fuel tank, where the fuel has the chance to be exposed to air again and again. This increases the chance that the biodiesel may oxidise. Now, biodiesel that meets current specifications and standards will have a very high oxidation stability. This means that it takes a longer time before it can go bad. In a common rail system the speed that oxidation can occur is increased and the time at which it can resist is decreased. This is not normally a concern if your biodiesel meets correct spec, if not, then it could be an issue – a very expensive isssue!. Ex AA Series III LWB Safari - Gone
FR2 TD4 GS - Gone

Post #342271 13th Feb 2018 6:07 pm
Past master

United Kingdom 

alex_pescaru wrote:

Alex - try this: http://www.makebiofuel.co.uk/make-biodiesel-at-home/ Ex AA Series III LWB Safari - Gone
FR2 TD4 GS - Gone

Post #342272 13th Feb 2018 6:11 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>