« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > 10 Year Service
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Badger51

Australia 
10 Year Service

Finally made a start on changing the oils & Haldex filter, all done except the auto, will do that on Wednesday. I had every intention of removing the Haldex but the driveshaft bolts were so tight that I was worried about shearing them off! As the oil was quite clean & not a lot of sludge evident I decided to err on the side of caution & just do oil & filter in situ. PTU oil was reasonably clean but got less out than I expected! Diff oil was darkish but not black, no lumps of metal but a reasonable amount of glitter in suspension! Pics below, sorry about the bad orientation but the website says it saves them correctly but then they show up sideways!

Power Transfer case oil.

Rear Diff oil.

Haldex Oil.

(Now Sold). 2008 Freelander 2 (Nazca Sand) SE TD4 Auto. Statutory write off & on WOVR for hail damage but still road legal.
171037Km as of 09/05/22
Superchips Bluefin Flash
Nanocom Evo II (also sold)

Post #342124 12th Feb 2018 6:36 am
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

Well done! Even though I have a good range of Stahlwille spanners & sockets, I think I will still get my mechanic to do this when the time comes. I better start saving! Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #342126 12th Feb 2018 6:59 am
adywicaksono

2008 LR2 i6 HSE Auto Alaska White

good job, well done! Thumbs Up

Post #342275 13th Feb 2018 5:29 pm
p_gill

United States 2008 Freelander 2 i6 SE Auto Tambora Flame

Badger,

Those are great pictures.

Have you had any problems with the front power transfer unit, the Haldex or the rear differential?

How may miles?

Thanks for sharing

Paul

Post #342279 13th Feb 2018 5:56 pm
Badger51

Australia 

Hi Paul, no known issues with the drivetrain BUT I've always felt it was noisy from the back end! Fitting new tyres about 3 years ago made a big difference. More recently however, I felt the noise was coming back, rear tyres still have about 8mm of tread. Got the wife to sit in the back & she said noisier on the L/H side, so changed the L/H wheel bearing (R/H changed about 3 years ago before tyres), not a lot of difference evident! I have had other experienced engineers sit in the back & they say tyre noise. I have a set of 17" wheels with well worn wranglers that I will fit to see how it sounds, I know the tyres will be noisy because they were when they came off the car. Car has done 120,000 km, so about 74,500 miles.

Cheers,

Nick (Now Sold). 2008 Freelander 2 (Nazca Sand) SE TD4 Auto. Statutory write off & on WOVR for hail damage but still road legal.
171037Km as of 09/05/22
Superchips Bluefin Flash

Post #342299 13th Feb 2018 9:44 pm
shiggsy

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Baltic Blue

If you have a 2008 FL2 that would make your Haldex a 3rd Generation ? I didn't think there was enough room to get the filter off of the Gen3 without removing the Haldex ? 
Hung like Einstein, smart as a horse.

Post #342302 13th Feb 2018 10:27 pm
Badger51

Australia 

Correct, it is a Gen 3 Haldex. Filter is easily accessible in situ, the haldex needs to be removed the get the pump off though, because the drive flange has to be removed for access.

Nick (Now Sold). 2008 Freelander 2 (Nazca Sand) SE TD4 Auto. Statutory write off & on WOVR for hail damage but still road legal.
171037Km as of 09/05/22
Superchips Bluefin Flash

Post #342303 13th Feb 2018 10:31 pm
Badger51

Australia 

So today was another spare day in paradise!

Off to the hangar to do the cambelt, waterpump, tensioner & idler pullieys.

Of course, also did the aux drive belt, tensioner & idler pullers.

All went as planned, the only hard work was the crank pulley bolt, which is a bit of a pain, having to lock it & unlock the flywheel several times to get the correct tension. (Cambelt still looked ok, with no cracking or splits evident but it is almost 10 years old).

Filled up with fresh coolant & hay presto, no start! Traced to crankshaft sensor connector plug not been fully engaged, I like easy fixes.

Ran it for about 30 mins with no obvious signs of any coolant leaks.

Thanks to grod for the timing pins & locking tool, if anyone in Aus wants them now just send me a pm.

Cheers,

Nick

ps feeling knackered now, glad I'm not working tomorrow! (Now Sold). 2008 Freelander 2 (Nazca Sand) SE TD4 Auto. Statutory write off & on WOVR for hail damage but still road legal.
171037Km as of 09/05/22
Superchips Bluefin Flash

Post #343539 28th Feb 2018 8:49 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1