« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Site News & Feedback > use the search lazy idle t%"@
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.  Down to end
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red

Laughing Oh dear. Search soldiers.

Yes I must be one as I am guilty of having time on my hands being retired when its poor weather. How many times do we get "I am thinking of buying a 2007 car with 120,000 miles on the clock and what can I expect" . The honest answer is some big Censored bills and grief probably. But guess what some say tactfully "its asked weekly, do a search as its listed already. I would rather say don't waste your money and get something like a two year old small car with bags of factory warranty.

I have seen Nick put up many links since being on here to help and I am with him that some are ignorant by not recognising its time that he could be using to be earning his living. Very few tell us the outcome but there has been one and it would be nice to know if we got it right or wrong.

Only one man never made a mistake and guess what they put him on a cross. Thankfully I have a sense of humour and broad shoulders. The only people being sent off looking for search buttons are those with general questions asked time and time again and those with something that is not going to be on the site 20 times over do get as much help as time permits I feel.

Feel free to discuss but first think about your own knowledge you have given us all before calling out others as like the TV you can turn us off at anytime. Regulars joke yes but guess what I for one did a 5 year apprenticeship in the top end of the trade some 50 years ago so I do take affront to words like collecting posts. The likes of Alex and Stuart are more up to date with modern car technology and full respect to them but those with zero knowledge may just be skating on thin ice barracking other members.

So you lovers of lively debate come to the Tan Hill on the 23rd of June as this medium is so easy misread and meet face to face. FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #341871 8th Feb 2018 10:46 pm
p_gill

United States 2008 Freelander 2 i6 SE Auto Tambora Flame

Ok I read the original post and I've read all of the replies

But I can't find what a "idle t%"@" is

How can you tell me to use the search function when I can't even search for your reference

It was my understanding that we had different sub forums for a reason

General - "...anything to do with a Freelander 2"

Technical - " ...Technical details...Freelander 2..."

Maintenance and Modification - " ....running and modifying Freelander 2"

So someone is going to need to tell me what an "idle t%"@" is and where does it go on my Land Rover.

or

Perhaps someone might want to move this post to a more appropriate sub forum

Site & News Feedback

Off Topic

Just an observation

Happy Motoring

Paul

Post #341875 8th Feb 2018 10:57 pm
Yorky Bob

Largered wrote:
npinks wrote:
Glad your surprised, I’m not, I’ve been here from the beginning and seen a lot a good knowledgable forum members come and go because of people’s attitudes on here.

Seems to me people will just do what ever they want nowadays, so carry on as normal, this rant won’t make a difference

so at 20,000 posts ......but what have you contributed ????

I would say, time for NEW blood ......

I suspect you feel you 'OWN' this forum ....... the NEXT generation will 'OWN' this forum.

Be prepared to stand aside and let this forum advance .....

I ran the FL1 club for many years .......but life evolves ...... as did I ........ in allowing others to take over ....

How do we remove current moderators ............ and vote in 'NEW BLOOD' ????

One too many Reds tonight my friend in my humble opinion. Time to reflect possibly Idea FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #341876 8th Feb 2018 11:03 pm
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

I do not understand (again) the way this thread is heading.

Surely no one is forcing anyone to reply to questions that they think are tiresome. If the forum needs tidying up and we need to be reminded about using the appropriate Subjects, then please do it.

But please do not stop people asking questions on the forum, I hope the forum works best when the wise members help the less knowledgeable find the answers.

And more importantly as a place we can see the more experienced FL2 owners work around the problems. FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 76k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #341882 9th Feb 2018 12:18 am
taztastic

England 

Freel2 is a very friendly and on the whole very well moderated, it’s a thankless task as many, who know me, will know.
Nick has 20,000 posts because he has stuck with Freel2 through thick n thin.

If you want to lead a revolt and get new blood go ahead, I suspect you may well kill the forum far more quickly than existing, very knowledgable members would. No one cares if you’ve been a mod before, it’s not a qualification and given the demographics are very different, probably means you’re a noob as much as the next person.

It’s a forum, not a highest up the wall competition, join in, contribute and get along, you know it makes sense

Post #341883 9th Feb 2018 12:26 am
Mudstuck

United Kingdom 

I am very disappointed in some of the messages on here, I have only ever had positive experiences on here and enjoy reading most post's even if I don't contribute much.
Mark.

Click image to enlarge

Post #341884 9th Feb 2018 1:52 am
p_gill

United States 2008 Freelander 2 i6 SE Auto Tambora Flame

Freel2 members,

This Thread is not useful and it should be deleted.

It has nothing to do with our Land Rover and it shouldn't be in the General sub-forum.

In fact this entire thread is very counterproductive.

And I completely disagree with its underlying premise.

The only thing that annoys me about this forum are posts with no replies.

However I would never post my displeasure, instead I try to answer those posts if I can.

And I almost never start a new post and ask some random question because I enjoy searching and reading the threads.

But I never expect my fellow Land Rover owners to enjoy searching so I never tell them to and I try to help out where I can.

It is worth pointing out that not every member is a native English speaker and it may be more difficult for some to search.

This forum is very useful and for the most part it is very friendly.

The notable exception being this thread.

I hesitate to write this because I am a strong advocate of free speech but I completely disagree with the "search the forum" answer.

Having said that I find this forum very useful and helpful and friendly and I am always happy to contribute what I've learned.

Let's delete this thread

Take care

Paul

Last edited by p_gill on 9th Feb 2018 6:51 am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #341892 9th Feb 2018 6:37 am
ronp

Scotland 

taztastic wrote:
Freel2 is a very friendly and on the whole very well moderated, it’s a thankless task as many, who know me, will know.

If you want to lead a revolt and get new blood go ahead, I suspect you may well kill the forum far more quickly than existing, very knowledgable members would. No one cares if you’ve been a mod before, it’s not a qualification and given the demographics are very different, probably means you’re a noob as much as the next person.

It’s a forum, not a highest up the wall competition, join in, contribute and get along, you know it makes sense

Totally with you on that Paul, very measured and wise words indeed. Bow down
Couldn't have put it better myself.

Thumbs Up FL2 now gone and have a couple of items left for sale:-

Brodit active iPhone holder + Brodit dash clip,
Bluetooth Music Streaming Module.

Post #341893 9th Feb 2018 6:47 am
dunkley201

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Agreed. Bin it & bin it now. Please!

Bob 10MY (Sept 09) TD4 HSE Auto in Stornoway Grey (Now Gone)

08 FL2 TD4 SE Manual in Rimini Red (Now Gone)

Post #341894 9th Feb 2018 9:21 am
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

taztastic wrote:

I agree with taztastic's note above, we need to support anyone who is helping keeping this forum going.

I don't agree with those who want to delete this thread.

I have re-read the original post and I take it as a plea for a bit more discipline in using the forum, and perhaps hoped it would bring a few constructive ideas on how to make it easier to find problems.

Please don't kill the goose that laid the golden egg ----- help it thrive and lay a few more. FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 76k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #341895 9th Feb 2018 10:06 am
pab

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Lago Grey

It's tempting to agree with those suggesting binning the thread, but I'm not so sure - the genie is out of the bottle, and it's not so easy to put it back.

Maybe we should take up the idea of a vote on 'new' moderators, see who is prepared to put their money where their mouth is. And my personal opinion, FWIW, is that such a vote would result in a resounding endorsement of the current mod! Nick may not be perfect, but he's put a lot of time and effort into this forum and done a very good job of it - all respect to him, it's not a job I'd want to do. And Taz, too, was a great asset to the forum and I for one was sorry to see him give up the role.

As for search, if an answer already exists on the site there's nothing wrong in gently suggesting the poster uses the search facility to find it. No call to be unpleasant about it, just give them a gentle nudge in the right direction. And I can't recall ever seeing a poster looking for help referred to as a 'lazy idle t%"@'.

Post #341896 9th Feb 2018 10:29 am
Yorky Bob

So as an example what was so offensive about this to generate so many personal attacks above ? Don't hold back lets hear.

http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic30874.html

I also note a dearth of people stepping forward to be more helpful if it was so offensive. Rolling Eyes FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #341900 9th Feb 2018 11:15 am
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

IanMetro wrote:
I do not understand (again) the way this thread is heading.

Surely no one is forcing anyone to reply to questions that they think are tiresome. If the forum needs tidying up and we need to be reminded about using the appropriate Subjects, then please do it.

But please do not stop people asking questions on the forum, I hope the forum works best when the wise members help the less knowledgeable find the answers.

And more importantly as a place we can see the more experienced FL2 owners work around the problems.

Agree 😀 Jules

Post #341903 9th Feb 2018 11:38 am
Martin
Site Admin & Owner

United Kingdom 

Just to add my input as forum owner - I have never, and will never, make it a site policy that you MUST search before posting.

I HATE that attitude on forums, it stops people joining it and joining in because it is downright unfriendly, unhelpful and rude.

My forums are supposed to be friendly places where everyone is welcome. If you don't want to help someone who has asked a question then that is up to you, but do NOT instruct them on my behalf, or on the forum's behalf, to search first.

All are welcome here, no-one is expected to follow some unwritten rules that a minority feel should apply.

There is a section in the site's terms of use which everyone agrees to when they register. It's been there since the start:

Quote:
Please be considerate to other members. Personal attacks, threats and 'flame wars' will not be tolerated.

If you're considering replying to a post that has in someway upset or offended you, please click the icon to report the post to the moderators, rather than risk inflaming a situation or causing unintended offence yourself.

If you are asked to do or stop doing something by a moderator, do not ignore them.

Is calling other members "lazy idle t%"@" considerate. Looks like a threatening personal attack to me.

If you want to blow off steam somewhere, go onto Facebook and do it there - not here or on any of my forums.

I do not want to see another thread replied to simply with "do a search", be friendly and welcoming and helpful. If you can't do that, don't post here.

Post #341906 9th Feb 2018 12:17 pm
dunkley201

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

No one wants to stop questions. Personally, I want to help if I know the answer. Often the answer I know was on a recent thread. It just gets frustrating if it is I who is doing the search and thread copying to help,

Recently, I said in response to a question (more or less) “Welcome to the forum. You will not be surprised if I tell you that many others have asked a similar question. If you use “Search” in the blue bar above and type in what you are looking for such as “buying advice” you will find many threads that I am sure you will find useful”

I didn’t get in to a rant, just kindly pointed in the right direction. In the same thread I went on to warn of any forum being a home for faults and not to be put off. The FL2 is the most reliable LR....

Bob 10MY (Sept 09) TD4 HSE Auto in Stornoway Grey (Now Gone)

08 FL2 TD4 SE Manual in Rimini Red (Now Gone)

Post #341907 9th Feb 2018 12:21 pm
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.  Back to top
Page 3 of 4 <1234>