Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Dear deer?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
Lunar-Rover

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Sumatra Black

I have just been offered 8 legs of venison for £200, is that two deer?

That bumper is well repairable, Motorcycle repair shop can weld that better than a car bodyshop as they are set up better for repairing fairings on a more regular basis. Also paint matching the colour is easy and you could do that with a rattle can as it only needs blowing in for about a quarter off the bumper, take the fuel cap into your local motor/paint factors and they will match it. REME .. Rough Engineering Made Easy

Post #341038 31st Jan 2018 7:14 pm
valleyforge

England 

Typical land rover battle scar, don't worry about it.
Put a deer transfer on the side with a cross over it. one down ....

I'd just fix it in situ as above, or if you want the 'as new' look its the bigger job.

Once coming off the Ullapool ferry around Gruinard about midnight had an almighty fright as 100 or so big deer suddenly careered all over the place, in front, round, over, but amazing no contact. That was in a D3. How the heck we didn't get clobbered I'll never know. Friend hit a biggish one in a rover 400 - it was demolished, deer ran off ....

Hope you get it sorted Thumbs Up FL2 Ex D2, D3, RRS, etc. now all gone.

Post #341042 31st Jan 2018 7:36 pm
Worms

Scotland 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Zermatt Silver

Thanks for all the advice!

Mid-morning, once the snow and ice had melted off the bonnet, I discovered that the bonnet has a series of dents, corresponding to the tines on the antler. That has tipped the balance for me in favour of at least exploring the insurance route. The insurance company were surprisingly sympathetic and they have put me in touch with their preferred local repairer (a well-respected local company who are also the Alfa Romeo Smile and Jeep Sad dealer). I’ll see what they say and what they quote before deciding.

Northcroft’s Ebay link looks ideal and at least gives me a ball-park figure for a DIY bumper replacement, just not sure I can find the time and inclination to do it (that sort of faff is much more bearable on warm summer days!) and I would still have to fix the dents in the bonnet or live with them. 2005 D3 2.7 Auto
Previously:
2010 MY FL2 TD4e GS - Now gone at 199,500 miles, about 135,000 of them mine.
‘93 Defender 110 200TDi CSW
‘87 Defender 90 4 cyl Petrol
‘83 110 CSW V8 - best ever!
Range Rover 2-door V8 (not sure of year - 4-speed box and vacuum diff switch)
Series III SWB Diesel

Post #341045 31st Jan 2018 7:50 pm
rusper

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Sumatra Black

You told the insurance company? So next year when they ask have you had any accidents in the last 5 years?

Post #341076 31st Jan 2018 10:16 pm
rusper

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Sumatra Black

Also I picked a slightly damaged 57 reg . They are designed to collapse. headlamp one of the tabbs on the top detached the headlamp mounting tray broken, the metal shelf that the tray sits on bent, radiator shroud broken, both radiator lower mounts broken, one radiator top mount broken,plastic molding between wing and front bumper broken and minor crack in front bumper. All minor things but the cost adds up.

Post #341078 31st Jan 2018 10:24 pm
Worms

Yes, I appreciate that having told the insurance company, I am now marked, and that this is going to cost me. And as you say, the repair costs could also mount up. This is my “daily driver” and I do about 26,000 miles a year, so it was never going to be a cheap car!

Deer collisions are a common thing around here and I do a lot of late night driving, in winter, in places with high deer numbers. One of the reasons I got the FL2 was to have something that was likely to be safer (for me) in just this sort of incident. Normally a car hits the deer lower and it is the bonnet and windscreen that takes the main force of it. Sometimes the air bags go off and with an older car it’s a write-off. I was lucky, the FL2 performed well.

Since i’ve only had it for three months, and it is at the newer end of the scale for cars I've owned, I am still guilty of wanting to it looking good. I even wash it - can’t remember when I last had a car that made me want to do that! I know it is not logical, but it is the emotional attachment that is leading me over to the dark side of a professional repair job! 2005 D3 2.7 Auto
Previously:
Series III SWB Diesel

Post #341088 1st Feb 2018 6:26 am
Dartman the one

England 

Definitely safer in a FL2, friend of mine hit a stag above Shiel Bridge when a herd jumped down onto the road, the antlers went through the laminated screen and penetrated the passenger seat just below the head rest, Ford Granada estate, had there been a passenger they would have been killed, the stag ran off having ripped most of the nearside windscreen away. left him with a very chilly journey to Helensburgh in the middle of the night. my PC is slightly to the right of Genghis
2012 HSE SD4 In Orkney Grey now gone, best car ever.

Post #341089 1st Feb 2018 7:11 am
Worms

Scary stuff, Dartman.

Ironically, if I had chosen to go by Shiel Bridge instead of Achnasheen, my particular deer would still be alive! 2005 D3 2.7 Auto
Previously:
Series III SWB Diesel

Post #341090 1st Feb 2018 7:39 am
Northcroft

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Zermatt Silver

Worms

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Land-Rover-Free...SwqbxaPVwq

Thumbs Up

Post #341094 1st Feb 2018 8:26 am
Bill Turner

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Santorini Black

Many years ago an Architect acquaintance of mine drove to a job interview with a local authority in The Highlands in his Skoda, and on the way home from the interview a stag jumped off a roadside bank right on to the bonnet of his car which of course was written off.

He was not best pleased when he returned to work and was asked,

"Is your Lada full of venison". Very Happy Very Happy

Bill. Life Honorary Member of Wallasey Motor Club.
Licenced MSA Radio Operator for 35+ years.
Rallying is the only sport.

Post #341104 1st Feb 2018 10:52 am
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red

As you have mentioned this to your insurance company I suspect it will be recorded now as a accident and they will review your premium whether you claim or not. May as well go the whole hog now (or was that deer). FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #341108 1st Feb 2018 11:05 am
tenet

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Orkney Grey

Totally agree with Yorky - Get the whole lot done, your premium will go up at renewal whatever you decide so might as well get a professional job done with guarantees. Get them to check chassis alignment whilst they are at it, a stag is a big beasty and who knows what other problems it caused. MY 09 GS manual in Lago Grey, Wood Co arm rest and side bumper strips - now sold.

MY 15 SD4 SE Auto Orkney Grey with colour coded Bumper Door Mouldings

Post #341112 1st Feb 2018 11:17 am
RogB

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

Yeh, I had that happen with my first FL1. Stupidly left the sat nav stuck to the windscreen when parked overnight on the drive.
It was gone in the morning but no apparent damage caused by them breaking in (I may have left it unlocked like an idiot Embarassed )
Reported to my insurance company for info only in case I found any damage at a later date, no claim made. But the following year they bumped my premium up as I had called them. They refused to back down so I moved my business elsewhere.
Bunch of Censored rob dogs !!

Post #341113 1st Feb 2018 11:20 am
Largered

Yes this goes for ALL insurance claims (home or Auto), if you open a claim, it can NOT be closed by you. It can only be closed by your insurance company. If they do not receive a third party payment, it is deemed you have lost the claim.

Post #341128 1st Feb 2018 1:47 pm
rnlisg

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

my son had this a couple of weeks ago,he was driving his 2007 astra van to work when a deer came out of some tree,s into his offside he was doing around 40 in a 50 limit,it hit his o/s headlight and front wing moving it a little so the drivers door clonked when opening,the deer "legged"it.leaving some fur in the broken headlight.he drove on to work(5m)with no problem all was well apart from wing and h/lamp.he called his insurance Rolling Eyes and within 2 hours they collected it for assessment.they then phoned him to say it was a write off Shocked Censored .offered him a very good price on the car and he bought it back for £350.and delivered it back to his works a few days later.
meanwhile I went to our local breakers and they had a 2007 astra estate with the wing and headlight got the lot for £50.
undercoated and topcoated next day and all fitted and looking good on sat morning.he phoned his ins to say car was sorted and they were happy with that.i just wish he had called me first and not involved them as they will whack him on his next quote. Whistle gone
P38 v8 auto no problems,great howle from exhausts when giving it welly
Td5 auto head gasket,no5 pot not uncommon but good car.
1st Tdv6s manual epb problem fixed under warranty(stealer said"never heard of this before,i suggested he looked at d3 forum.
2nd Tdv6 se auto epb
3rd Tdv6 xs auto 2008,swmbo,s favourite.

Post #341166 1st Feb 2018 4:32 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>