Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > instruments. TR. HDC. DSC.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

JulesK
As the FL2 does not rely on old analogue switching and electrics, but instead has many digital senders, receivers, and computers, it will respond badly to voltage fluctuations and interference.
Most digital electronics will go into a random mode as the power supply fails.
In another car (with digital 'BUS' driven electronics) I have experienced what happens after a generator failure.
Trying to get home, different systems in the car gradually, and to my mind randomly, shut down. The last was the engine as the battery finally dropped its voltage right down.
The FL2 needs a good power supply to work, and it will shut down systems to preserve the battery when parked. FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 76k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #341114 1st Feb 2018 1:02 pm
JulesK

Wales 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Firenze Red

yes Ian I can see that but surely things like radio, Bluetooth etc should go first not one of the main operating components of a 4x4. maybe its me but awful Confused If it wasn't so bad it'd be funny.

🐑
Freelander 2 HSE auto 2014 ( Florrie ) ..... Try again.
Freelander 2 GS 2012...... Gone.

Post #341118 1st Feb 2018 1:39 pm
JulesK

Sorry to reignite this folks but bought Sealey trickle charger and had it going this morning, reached battery full with light on, car started ( always has) but still no lights on Terrain Response panel. pressed HDC and nothing coming up on instrument panel again. pressed DSC and no ON/OFF light there either. put gear stick over to command shift and that came up on instrument panel. Any suggestions gratefully received. Sad

Is there something I'm missing here or have I serious problem?

PS. I have no warnings or messages ,or codes coming up. If it wasn't so bad it'd be funny.

🐑

Post #341216 2nd Feb 2018 11:04 am
rusper

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Sumatra Black

Having done all these good things I would get the fault codes read. You are too far for me to pop round but there may be someone local to you otherwise spend an hour at the local dealer. You have checked all the fuses?

Post #341223 2nd Feb 2018 1:07 pm
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

JulesK
I have copied below notes from the earlier (Rotary Knob) FL2 workshop Manual.

You need to go and find out what error (real or apparent) is stopping your Terrain Response from operating. You seem to have done all the obvious first aid actions, and I expect its a case of 'the computer says no'.

DIAGNOSTICS
The Terrain Response control module stores information on detected Terrain Response faults and CAN errors which can be interrogated using IDS. The Terrain Response sub-systems and the instrument cluster also store information relating to CAN errors from the Terrain Response control module.
The control module also stores the miles traveled and time elapsed for the individual programs which can also be retrieved using IDS. This information aids diagnosis of the Terrain Response system and also provides an indication of Terrain Response system abuse by the driver which can lead to premature component failure.
This information can also be used to check customer concerns, for example, high fuel consumption which may be due to continued use of a certain program.
Terrain Response System Fault Diagnosis
Terrain Response relies on the correct functionality of the 4 sub-systems. If one of the sub-systems develops a fault, the Terrain Response system will not function, even though the fault is NOT in the Terrain Response system.
The Terrain Response control module and rotary control should only be investigated if there are no apparent faults in any of the sub-systems. If a fault in a sub-system is subsequently corrected, the Terrain Response system will function normally after an ignition mode 1 and 2 (on and off) cycle.
Terrain Response Sub-System Faults
When a fault occurs in a sub-system, the driver is alerted by the illumination of a warning indicator and/or an appropriate message for that sub-system in the instrument cluster message center. There will be no warning of a Terrain Response system fault.
When a sub-system fault is present and the driver attempts to select a different Terrain Response program using the rotary control or at the next ignition mode 2 (on) cycle, a message 'SYSTEM FAULT SPECIAL PROGRAMS NOT AVAILABLE' will appear in the message center. This implies that the Terrain Response system has a fault, but only because a sub-system fault is preventing its operation. This message will be displayed for 5 seconds per ignition mode 2 cycle, but is repeated if a further selection is made by the driver using the Terrain Response rotary control or at the next ignition mode 2 (on) cycle.
• NOTE: The message 'SYSTEM FAULT SPECIAL PROGRAMS NOT AVAILABLE' can also be generated by a fault in the Terrain Response rotary control or control module. Refer to the following information for details of rotary control or control module faults.
It is not possible for the Terrain Response control module to cause any fault behavior (warning indicator illumination or message generation) in any of the 4 sub-systems. Illumination of a sub-system warning indicator and/or a sub-system related message will NEVER be associated with a Terrain Response control module or Terrain Response system fault.
The sub-system control modules can detect a fault with the CAN signal from the Terrain Response control module. If a fault in the Terrain Response system is detected, the sub-system control modules will operate in the 'Special programs off' setting. The sub-system control modules will record a fault code for a failure of the Terrain Response CAN signal. These faults can be retrieved using IDS and will provide useful information to indicate investigation of the Terrain Response control module or the CAN network.
Terrain Response Rotary Control or Control Module Fault
http://topix.landrover.jlrext.com/topix/se...6634/OD...
4 of 5 29/10/2011 14:56
If a fault occurs in the Terrain Response rotary control, all rotary control icon amber Light Emitting Diodes (LED's) will be turned off and rotation of the rotary control is ignored. The instrument cluster message center will display a message 'SYSTEM FAULT SPECIAL PROGRAMS NOT AVAILABLE' when the fault occurs, if the fault is present and the driver attempts to select a special program (if the control module is able to do this) or at the next ignition mode 2 (on) cycle.
The Terrain Response rotary control and the control module are an integral unit. If a fault occurs in either component, the whole unit will require replacement. ENSURE THAT THE FAULT IS WITH THE TERRAIN RESPONSE CONTROL MODULE AND NOT IN A SUB-SYSTEM MODULE BEFORE REPLACING THE MODULE.
If a CAN fault exists and prevents Terrain Response system operation, all of the Terrain Response rotary control icon LED's will be illuminated and rotation of the rotary control is ignored.
If the instrument cluster does not receive a Terrain Response system CAN message from the Terrain Response control module, the message 'SYSTEM FAULT SPECIAL PROGRAMS NOT AVAILABLE' will be displayed when the fault occurs and will be repeated at every ignition mode 2 (on) cycle.
User Error
The following incorrect usage of the system may be misinterpreted as a system fault:
Engine not running - Program changes and driver advisory messages are only available with the engine running Special program change attempted with DSC or ABS active (this includes ABS cycling which is operational when HDC is being used on slippery or loose surfaces) Special program change attempted with overheat condition present on the active on-demand coupling.
 FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 76k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #341225 2nd Feb 2018 1:21 pm
dondiddy

United Kingdom 2012 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Firenze Red

If there is a system fault it will normally show up as a warning in the message centre. That is not the case here so I would suggest that it is a supply /feed to the switch panel or switch panel itself fault. There does not seem to be a dedicated terrain response fuse, however could you have disturbed any wiring /plugs when you were fitting your dashcam recently or has wiring it in given you other electrical problems?

Post #341228 2nd Feb 2018 1:32 pm
JulesK

Thanks for all responses, DonDiddy up until now all working as far as I know and have used Terrain response since fitting dashcam, am going to take it back out when it stops raining used the F1 & F21 fuses as per forum so at a bit of a loss now,as I said earlier NO codes or messages don't help!!

Also been in the boot fuse box as there is a fuse there for central diff. and some other things but they're ok. Confused If it wasn't so bad it'd be funny.

🐑

Post #341235 2nd Feb 2018 2:19 pm
dondiddy

United Kingdom 2012 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Firenze Red

Jules, Fuse F21 in the passengers footwell does instrument panel ,centre console and electric booster heater. Might be worth a second look!The car might not like having had additional wiring added to it! On the pre facelift models fuse F21 is for the alarm so perhaps whats ok for an earlier vehicle causes issues on later vehicles(or vice versa!)

Post #341241 2nd Feb 2018 2:52 pm
JulesK

Been out and taken Power Magic and piggybacks out, checked fuses and replaced, centre consul power working as put dash cam tried in there, all other instrument panel lights, indicators, fuel, trip computer all on, booked in next Wednesday to see if they can find something and if they do hopefully its covered by the warranty Smile Rolling with laughter

booster most deffo working Razz its my second fav thing after heated steering wheel. If it wasn't so bad it'd be funny.

🐑

Post #341246 2nd Feb 2018 3:40 pm
mikeyw

United Kingdom 

Have you tried checking the plug under the console? I removed mine when replacing gearstick gaiter and if I remember correctly one plug covers TR, TC & HDC.

Mike Freelander 2 HSE TD4 2007

Post #341296 2nd Feb 2018 11:52 pm
JulesK

Morning Mikeyw, is this a tricky thing to check or best leave for dealer to look at with the warranty,could save me a 68miles round trip. If it wasn't so bad it'd be funny.

🐑

Post #341307 3rd Feb 2018 9:17 am
mikeyw

United Kingdom 

My freelander is a manual so I don't know if an auto is different. The gearknob is removed by pulling the gaiter down then pulling the knob up then the centre console just pulls up by hand. There is one plug into the bottom of the console for the terrain response etc.. It only took me a matter of minutes to remove it all. The plug could be loose or need a clean so must be worth a look.
If you search youtube for freelander 2 gearstick gaiter removal you'll see what it's like.

Thinking about it the section that contains the rotary knob for TR and buttons for HDC etc.. will probably just pop out with a flat blade screwdriver. Obviously protect the console when levering.

Post #341314 3rd Feb 2018 10:15 am
mikeyw

United Kingdom 

Have a look at this.

Freelander 2 HSE TD4 2007

Post #341315 3rd Feb 2018 10:25 am
JulesK

Cheers for that but as I have the buttons not dial I'll think I'll leave for them to sort in case they break it.
Diolch If it wasn't so bad it'd be funny.

🐑

Post #341321 3rd Feb 2018 10:48 am
mikeyw

United Kingdom 

Ah sorry didn't realise the year of yours.
Best of luck with it.

Post #341331 3rd Feb 2018 11:14 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>