Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > PTC Heater Recall (P014)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 5 of 6 <123456>
Print this entire topic · 
Ian M

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Izmir Blue

Yes, the dealer (James Edwards,,Chester) agreed that the recall still needed to be done and will be arranging a date next week. He said they're currently doing 4 a day as some of their smaller dealerships have been closed (presumably because of the recession?) I expect by the time the job's done the cold weather will be long gone.

Post #35922 31st Jan 2009 9:55 pm
Dave

Scotland 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Indus Silver

Alona wrote:
Is that chicken Dave, son of George Question

Laughing Shocked Shocked Shocked Big Cry ______________________
2011 Full Fat RR 4.4 TDV8
2012 FL2 SD4 Auto HSE
2013 Kawasaki Versys 650

Post #35925 31st Jan 2009 10:31 pm
FreeGreen

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Tonga Green

Ian M wrote:
Yes, the dealer (James Edwards,,Chester) agreed that the recall still needed to be done and will be arranging a date next week. He said they're currently doing 4 a day as some of their smaller dealerships have been closed (presumably because of the recession?) I expect by the time the job's done the cold weather will be long gone.

Ian, are you saying that they exchange the PTCs on 4 cars a day ????? Wow!
FreenGreen was at the marvellous FORD/LR Service Station in Podgorica yesterday - it took them 8 hours and 30 minutes Shocked . They hadn't finished yet, when I dropped in to pick up the car and look what they had done to the beige carpet and plastik inside (although I had put old rubber mats to cover the carpet). Well another hard lesson I had to take here on the Balkans Sad .

But now my question: The re-installed the 100 A fuse and the handbrake is adjusted - thus I trust that they did exchange the PTC. But how can I test it (I bought the car with the removed 100 A fuse).

Do I have to engage the "programme button" or does the PTC start automatically / at which outdoor temperature ? How long does it take (10/30/60 seconds?) to feel some warm airstream inside from the electrical heater ?

Thanks for your advice

Best regards
FreeGreen

Post #36278 4th Feb 2009 2:41 pm
Dave

Scotland 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Indus Silver

To turn the PTC heater on you have to press the PROG button on the dashboard. You should start to feel warm air coming through the vents onto tthe windscreen within a minute or less. It is not automatic.

The FUEL burning heater (if fitted) is mounted on the engine and is fully automatic depending on the outside temperature, not sure what temperature though coz I ain't got one fitted on mine.

Thumbs Up ______________________
2011 Full Fat RR 4.4 TDV8
2012 FL2 SD4 Auto HSE
2013 Kawasaki Versys 650

Post #36280 4th Feb 2009 2:47 pm
Northsea Medic

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Stornoway Grey

Just reading through these posts and I'm now more confused. I have a 58 plate XS which I believe is the 2009 version as it came with clear side repeaters for the indicators. There has been lots of mention of the 'Programme Button' but I really cant recall seeing this. I am currently away at sea so I cant pop out and have a look either. Can anyone be more descriptive or better still post a picture? Maybe this is only an option on the higher specs - although some of you with GS's seem to be talking as if you have the button...

Still confused and hopeful of your collective wisdom Confused

Post #37133 14th Feb 2009 3:16 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

'prog' button is one of the buttons between the climate control knobs. instantly sets the system to demist mode and turns on the rear/front screen heat At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #37135 14th Feb 2009 4:10 pm
rover60

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Baltic Blue

and the heated mirrors 07my Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Baltic Blue,Privacy Glass,Ebony black leather,Land rover detachable towbar,S/S Side bars,Climair wind deflectors,Bramble Rash,

Post #37137 14th Feb 2009 4:22 pm
Northsea Medic

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Stornoway Grey

Now it's so clear! I was thinking of a button with 'Programme' on it. I guess the next worry is whether or not my PTC heater is working...

Dont tell anyone CG but I have a thing for chickens as well Whistle - prehaps on a smaller scale but it keeps us well supplied.

In my neck of the woods we are so passionate about chickens we even have roundabouts for them..... http://www.chickenroundabout.co.uk/ Laughing Laughing Laughing

Post #37141 14th Feb 2009 5:11 pm
FreeGreen

Northsea Medic wrote:
Now it's so clear! I was thinking of a button with 'Programme' on it. I guess the next worry is whether or not my PTC heater is working...

Indeed there is a "Prog" written on that button in my SE Model dash board and below there are the buttons for front and rear windows. However, as it turned out during an exhausting investigation by the experts here in the forum, it really does not matter whether you have the defrosting/demisting button or not concerning the PTC heater operation.

Just set the 2 temperatur switches to 24-25 or higher and the PTC heater kicks in as supplement to the normal heating system right from the start of the engine and warms up the air coming out the vents after seconds already. Within 2-3 minutes the cabin was warm at around 10-15 degrees (estimated) while out outside/inside temperature was at 6 degrees when opening the car this morning. PTC heater was exchanged last weeks and works properly, obviously Thumbs Up

Regards
FreeGreen

Post #37150 14th Feb 2009 8:05 pm
Frobius

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Martinique Blue

I've noticed the PTC working well during the winter months a lot. Nice warm air coming through way before the engine has heated up. The temp needle is still at 0 like it was when I got in and hot air is coming out the vents. Sometimes I wonder if the PTC works no matter the temperature or what you set it to and just comes on until the engine warms up. 09MY FL2 Td4 XS, Style Pack, Privacy Glass, Martinique Blue.. oh so very blue..

Post #37160 14th Feb 2009 11:07 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

please remember it was Dave who started all the confusion ,I however chose the path of virtue and enlightenment Laughing At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #37165 14th Feb 2009 11:44 pm
Frobius

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Martinique Blue

You're CG's wife now Daaaaave! Twisted Evil 09MY FL2 Td4 XS, Style Pack, Privacy Glass, Martinique Blue.. oh so very blue..

Post #37169 15th Feb 2009 12:06 am
shilen

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Bali Blue

)HELP!!!! Its like a sauna in my FL2 now that the new PTC heater has been fitted! Gets hot within a couple of minutes of starting the engine - got to get used to it again now - spent most of yesterday driving with the window half down!!

And just to confirm you do not need to press the PROG button for it to work - this button is for when you need a massive blast of air conditioned air in an emergency (such as steaming up inside - I will leave you to your own devices as to why your FL2 may steam up inside Embarassed )

One thing I have noticed since the PTC change is that the handbrake is now fully engaged after just a couple of clicks - seems much tighter than it did before. Now - 2017 BMW X3 M Sport Carbon Black
Gone - 2014 BMW X3 M Sport Space Grey, faultless!
Gone - 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Bali Blue with xenons
Gone - 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Rimini Red with bodykit

Post #37196 16th Feb 2009 9:45 am
FreeGreen

shilen wrote:
)HELP!!!! Its like a sauna in my FL2 now that the new PTC heater has been fitted! Gets hot within a couple of minutes of starting the engine - got to get used to it again now - spent most of yesterday driving with the window half down!!

And just to confirm you do not need to press the PROG button for it to work - this button is for when you need a massive blast of air conditioned air in an emergency (such as steaming up inside - I will leave you to your own devices as to why your FL2 may steam up inside Embarassed )

One thing I have noticed since the PTC change is that the handbrake is now fully engaged after just a couple of clicks - seems much tighter than it did before.

Yes, same here, the cabin warms up amazingly quickly within a few minutes - I never experienced that in 25 years of driving diesel engines, obviously never had a PTC heating device inbuilt Thumbs Up

My handbrake was also re-adjusted within that service - however, I managed to almost bring it back to lousy operation because I usually pull it much too strongly and thus managed to sabotage the adjustments. Is it easy to lift the plastic tunnel and to adjust the cable for the handbrake myself or does it require special tools ?

Post #37206 16th Feb 2009 1:03 pm
philsh

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Loire Blue

Yeah mine was fitted last friday. So nice of LR to fit them at the end of the winter Whistle . Works a treat though!! Gone - TD4 XS Auto, Sumatra Black, Mud flaps and side strips, clear indicators, private plate, privacy glass

Post #37225 16th Feb 2009 6:15 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 5 of 6 <123456>