Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > What exactly does a knackered rear differential sound like?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
p_gill

United States 2008 Freelander 2 i6 SE Auto Tambora Flame

Blacktiger,

I did use a neodymium bar magnet for several thousand miles before I switched to the drain-plug with the magnet built in

Something like this

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Aitsite-Neodymium...bar+magnet

Note the specification that it can lift 33 Lbs, the magnet that I used is very strong, possibly even more than this

The housing is aluminum but the bolts are steel.

I placed my bar magnet across the drain plug bolt and the adjacent bolt. (you can see both in the picture below)

It never fell off

Good Luck

Paul

Post #339647 17th Jan 2018 5:38 pm
Mudpuggler

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Santorini Black
Update

blacktiger wrote:
p_gill wrote:
Mudpuggler,

Edit this drain plug should work and its available in the UK https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gold-Plug-AP-05S-...rds=AP-05S

Or if you're a cheapskate like me, you could buy a small neodymium magnet and attach it to the existing drain plug. That'll magnetise the plug and do the same thing. Unless someone tells me that they're alluminium of course. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Strong-Circular-N...=neodymium

I actually have a few of these on my fridge!

I have had the front offside wheel bearing changed as that was failing. The noise is still present. My local garage is skeptical about it being a rear diff grumble as they have had it on a road roller and driven it themselves. Unfortunately I don't think the roller can be conclusive as it is not under 'load.'

Anyway, the rear tyres are wearing (also they do not match the fronts, so I am having them replaced as well, as another process of elimination.

I hope this process does not end up costing too much!

Post #342148 12th Feb 2018 12:55 pm
Mudpuggler

Well, it's been a bit of an expensive job but the source of the drone was drivers side rear wheel bearing.

As a process of elimination I had the front one changed first. It was grinding and definitely not smooth running so would have eventually needed changed sooner or later anyway.

So, the handbrake had seized as well so had to get shoes replaced. Rear discs replaced as well as I had worn the pads down to the metal (idiot). So, pads changed as well then. Had a the heat shield replaced too as it was warped and scoured....

So £539 in the hole and another £200 for the front bearing. Pi** in a basket...

On the plus side I've got a quiet car and the rear diff seems fine. However, I've developed a weird rythmic knocking noise on idle that disappears completely when 1000rpm is reached...JOY!!

Thanks guys for all the suggestions and advice.

Post #347137 10th Apr 2018 8:14 pm
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red

Chicken and egg possibly !

Brakes get seized so running hot and it then fecks the bearings. FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #347147 10th Apr 2018 8:39 pm
Mudpuggler

Certainly didn't feel like that. Checked the wheels for extra warmth and always cold to touch.

I think I'm just an unlucky sort!

Post #347150 10th Apr 2018 9:00 pm
Yorky Bob

Near the sea by any chance ? FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #347151 10th Apr 2018 9:02 pm
Mudpuggler

I am now but can't be certain of proximity to the sea before I purchased the car.

I say sea, but its really estuary environment. Maybe she just doesn't like being in Scotland?

Post #347163 11th Apr 2018 7:55 am
Badger51

Australia 

This is what it sounds like with chassis ears fitted, unfortunately mine now sounds the same!

(Now Sold). 2008 Freelander 2 (Nazca Sand) SE TD4 Auto. Statutory write off & on WOVR for hail damage but still road legal.
171037Km as of 09/05/22
Superchips Bluefin Flash
Nanocom Evo II (also sold)

Post #347169 11th Apr 2018 10:38 am
Yorky Bob

Interesting and informative. I would like to hear the diff after a repair now to see how silent it was. FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #347172 11th Apr 2018 11:24 am
Badger51

Australia 

Me too YB, I bought the earlier none wifi version because a set came up on gumtree at a sensible price.

I now have to decide what road to take for the repair, if only Bell engineering had an Australian workshop Very Happy (Now Sold). 2008 Freelander 2 (Nazca Sand) SE TD4 Auto. Statutory write off & on WOVR for hail damage but still road legal.
171037Km as of 09/05/22
Superchips Bluefin Flash

Post #347173 11th Apr 2018 11:29 am
alex_pescaru

Just to pick the collective experience....

Mine today began to sound like this...
It appears at about 25 mph, becomes louder to about 30 mph, then quitter, then louder and then quitter, in waves as the speeds increases and at about 75 mph it stops. I didn't go up than 75 mph.
It doesn't matter if it is in gear or coasting and it is consistent at those speeds when it manifests itself louder.

I suppose that the tires are first to check as if it is a bearing then the sound should become louder and louder and it shouldn't stop at some speed, right?

All this appeared after a 300 miles round trip, mostly motorway speeds at about 75 mph.
And I've noticed it at about the end of the journey, it wasn't there at the beginning, in the first part.
On the come back part, the car was much more loaded than on the first part.

It's possible that a bearing to gets damaged in so short distance, on the last part of the journey?
Or a tire to get damaged, again, in so short distance, as in the beginning the sound wasn't there?

Post #349015 5th May 2018 9:23 pm
JGH99

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

Alex, my GG AT2 tyres have the same issues. Whining/withering sound at 30 then 60 then again at just over 70mph. This started the first time I fiited them as winter wheels. Very much depends on road surface. It can dissapear on stonechip covered tarmac and generaly the newer and smoother the road is the worse it gets.

I have then swapped wheels back to the original Goodyear ecogrips for summer and all was quiet again.

I have had the diff bearing fail and does not sound the same. Constant noise that slowly varies with speed

JGH99 Freelander 2 GS Stornoway Grey
Jan 2007 Bought 71,000 miles. Currently 149,300 miles.

Post #349026 6th May 2018 7:14 am
MartynB

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Zermatt Silver

alex_pescaru wrote:
Just to pick the collective experience....

All this appeared after a 300 miles round trip, mostly motorway speeds at about 75 mph.
And I've noticed it at about the end of the journey, it wasn't there at the beginning, in the first part.
On the come back part, the car was much more loaded than on the first part.

It's possible that a bearing to gets damaged in so short distance, on the last part of the journey?
Or a tire to get damaged, again, in so short distance, as in the beginning the sound wasn't there?

When the rear differential bearing failed on out FL2 , indeed one day it was not noticeable and the next day it was not noticeable .Of course the damage had not occurred in a short time , it was the result of 40,000 miles of wear on a badly specified component . There was a variation of the noise , under a heavier load , like acceleration , the “ grumble” was louder and on constant throttle at cruising speed the grumble was lower but constant . At no point if you listened carefully did the noise go away . Our GS auto is on Scorpion ATR and they are a very quiet tyre , and on a good surface the car is very smooth and quiet , so the day the bearing “grumble” started was obvious . I went through the usual, is it tyres? , is it a wheel bearing ? However after using the car on a 400 mike drive it was obvious that the problem was getting worse and was indeed the diff. 2009 GS Auto Zermatt Silver - Sold June 21 after 10 years of ownership

2016 Subaru Outback SE 2.0 diesel SE Premium Lineartronic Sold 2024 after 8 years and 80k miles . Best Car I ever owned !

2023 Toyota Hilux invincible X 2.8 Auto .

Post #349028 6th May 2018 7:52 am
alex_pescaru

After some more road experiences - where the sound changed intensity based on sudden changes of steering direction - and a careful inspection - I've had access to an elevator - I've concluded that the sound comes from the rear right wheel bearing.
This was also confirmed without a doubt by a very small, yet certainly perceptible, play of the wheel/bearing.
So, it is booked on Monday for a wheel bearing change. I'll keep you posted on the outcome.
So strange that the sound/damage was so quick, on no more than 100 miles, from total silence to obvious and loud sound/damage...

Post #349159 8th May 2018 6:43 pm
Badger51

Australia 

Not that unusual for a wheel bearing to fail like that Alex, plus you often get accustomed to the sound as it develops.

I wish mine had been a wheel bearing & not the diff! Am now waiting on rebuilt diff to arrive from Bell Enineering! (Now Sold). 2008 Freelander 2 (Nazca Sand) SE TD4 Auto. Statutory write off & on WOVR for hail damage but still road legal.
171037Km as of 09/05/22
Superchips Bluefin Flash

Post #349177 9th May 2018 1:32 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>