« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > In Car Electronics > Starting issues
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
JamesW83

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Barolo Black
Starting issues

Read a multitude of things, wondering if someone has a definitive answer - 07 Freelander 2 not starting, get this quiet click between centre console (sounds like a relay) and it fails to start. Disconnect/reconnect the battery and it starts first time. Had the starter motor tested - not that. I hear an issue with a steering lock module, which stands to reason as if the lock engages when turning off, it usually starts straight off the next time I get in the car. I can get a new rack & module from a breakers yard for £60. Question is, would that need reprogramming to the car. Any help greatly appreciated.

Post #339354 13th Jan 2018 3:59 pm
Joe_monkey

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey

Hi, I've got the same problem, battery replaced as I thought that was the culprit then back this morning just as I needed it to get to work in the snow. Had to get a lift in my mates Kia c'eed!!!! Will not start just a click, no error message. battery showing 12.6V. Any luck with yours?

Post #343599 28th Feb 2018 5:58 pm
JamesW83

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Barolo Black

Ah, it’s a pain. It’s the steering module - steering lock not engaging and the immobiliser not letting the car start as a result. You can either pay Land Rover a small fortune or fit a remote isolator switch. I got one from Amazon (£30) and fitted it under the scuttle panel in the engine bay. I wired it into the car so that I can disconnect/reconnect the battery from the dash and it goes. I should’ve said actually, disconnecting the battery for a second or so resets the steering lock and it should fire up straight away.

How good are you with simple electronics? It’s not a hard job, you can also get for £40 an isolator that lets you disconnect the battery with a key fob and that’ll save you a load of wiring.

It’s a fix I can live with, frustrating though.

Post #343934 3rd Mar 2018 7:41 pm
carlsson

Scotland 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey
Same

Hi
I had the same issues and a software update fixed it, been fine almost 2 years since.
A dealer visit or...... 2007 hse auto

Post #343963 4th Mar 2018 9:29 am
alex_pescaru

Like carlsson said, there is a software update for it.
If it doesn't fix it, you (the dealer) can disable the steering column lock from the car's configuration file and you won't have the problem anymore.
That small period when it starts, after disconnection of the battery, is because in that period of time the instruments - that are responsible for powering up the steering lock module - are doing their internal checks and are keeping the power to the steering lock on. After that, no.

Post #344015 4th Mar 2018 3:31 pm
Joe_monkey

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey

Update: Turns out my problem was the starter motor having an intermittent problem. I've had that replaced and it seems fine now. Now have a spare battery sitting in my garage too! £370 for the replacement fitted. Ouch!

Post #344146 5th Mar 2018 8:37 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1