« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays > Selling a caravan privately
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
npinks

United Kingdom 
Selling a caravan privately

Is there a we buy any caravan site to give a guide to what a caravan should be worth?

Thinking of selling mine, to either buy another, with a different layout or buy a large AirBeam tent I saw today whilst browsing

I'm unsure but the wife and kids think we'll get away more with a tent, I think we are going back to sleeping on a floor, even though camping air beds have come on a bit since I last used one Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #322139 23rd Apr 2017 8:13 pm
Allen

England 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Orkney Grey

All major caravan sales outlets have a parkers guide they refer to,just phone there sales dept and ask for a ballpark figure on your van against a van they are advertising as part exchange,then go tocaravan finder and enter year,make and model, of your van then price yours for sale in between both prices Simples

Post #322141 23rd Apr 2017 8:30 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

So no straight forward valueation site and I have to Censored about calling and pretending to buy to find out a figure

Is parkers not available ? Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #322146 23rd Apr 2017 9:07 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

Put it on farm clasified, plenty of night shift shepherds want a rest hut, or maybe a sheep accomadition.

Not suitable for poultry , id get prosecuted for poor housing quailty, so Im out At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #322149 23rd Apr 2017 9:59 pm
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red

Google today CG

FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #322167 24th Apr 2017 9:24 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

well that was straight forward, rang supplying dealer, got told they don't buy caravans, but spoke with MD, dropped my name and offer to buy outright has come back, or an offer to sell on my behalf

Now to decide if i want to go back to a tent

I don't think we will get away anymore than what we can now with the caravan, a tenant might be say packed in a trailer, waiting to hitch on and go, instead of going to get the caravan, hitch, home and load and then get off

maybe sell the £1700 of isabella awning and have both, only put that up to give the kids a area to sleep outside, so might just as well use a 2 man tent next to caravan and the caravan store

i think i will regret it Big Cry Rolling Eyes Very Happy Wink Neutral Laughing Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #322198 24th Apr 2017 3:27 pm
Yorky Bob

Will put my sensible head on for a change.

With young kids I think its great to get out into the wilds, but its not so nice when it persists it down so a van must be better for the off season (most of the year in UK). As a van takes a few quid to buy and run and depreciates maybe hiring a holiday cottage is better value. I used a small mountain tent with my child and then wife but in Scotland had to abandon to a guest house or similar more than once to dry out.

Most caravans I see in the greater Yorkshire area are being towed by Pensioners, not sure why on a weekend though. I still have thoughts on a motor home escape when SWATBO finally leaves the rat race.

Good luck either way you choose. FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #322200 24th Apr 2017 3:57 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

Vans not lost loads over the years on what they offered

Don't think I fancy selling it, might just buy a tent as well and have that in a trailer to blast off for quick weekends away or Season pitch it Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #322211 24th Apr 2017 8:36 pm
Andy131

United Kingdom 

Buy a tent
Go away for a week - it will rain for at least a couple of days during the week, if this doesn't convince you that camping is/is not for you then try the same on a VERY wet bank holiday weekend on a large commercial site in York.

ankle deep in mud, 45 minutes just to get into the filthy toilets for a pee - forget having a shower as all the warm water went hours before you could gather up enough strength to trudge through the mud with a soaking wet towel. Don't mention the fact that all the loo roll has either been used or rolled around a soaking wet floor.

No give it a try - BEFORE you sell the van, the wife will thank you. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #322350 26th Apr 2017 6:06 pm
Yorky Bob

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #322358 26th Apr 2017 8:03 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

Even my brother whose a avid camper said I'll regret it,

Going to borrow his one weekend and get myself off, going to chose a wet one, which site was it Andy Laughing Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #322372 26th Apr 2017 9:56 pm
Andy131

United Kingdom 

Robin Hood park York
10 years ago and I still remember it like it was yesterday - NEVER again

Gills bright idea, I came home one day to find she had bought a two berth "pup" tent ??
She had decided that we would go camping so we could take the dog.
I went out to ASDA and bought something more appropriate, you know the sort of thing, two bedrooms and a central bit for sitting and playing cards, drinking etc. it gets much worse.
My sister said she would come in her tent (tiny) and bring her teenage daughter and son!
We told her to book Robin Hoods bay site.
Then the mother-in-law found out we had two bedrooms so she invited herself along - cozy
We arrived at Robin hoods bay at 9pm, to find out we weren't booked in and they had no spaces - Denise had booked us into Robin Hoods Park in York, so we drove home at midnight to Wigan.
Next Morning we set off, this time to York.
The worst weekend away we have ever had, nosey mother-in-law, grumpy teenagers with no wifi, wet, ran out of beer, and it was all my fault !
Bought a caravan on the way home, and have caravanned ever since - and yes we have made the mother-in-law sleep in the awning on the many occasions she has come Confused Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her

Post #322374 26th Apr 2017 11:27 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

Laughing

We started as we were in a tent with elec hookup and each side of us was a caravan, it got a bit wet and we was watching them just sitting there and we were huddled in a 4 man tent (no kids) listening to the rain

A month or so later bought a new caravan kept that a year as it was the wrong layout for a newborn baby

The chap at the camping shop looked at me daft when I asked if the tent had a satalitte TV socket too when he told us about the little zip were you can bring in the electric cable Laughing Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #322382 27th Apr 2017 7:53 am
Andy131

United Kingdom 

Sister in law "bought" our old van last year (£250, new motor mover, Isabella porch awning, hook-up, water & waste etc)
She came with us last bank holiday weekend, and wondered why she had been camping all these years
Brother in law was sat in the van watching football (man Utd fanatic) in the pouring rain with a beer - you couldn't have moved him with a crowbar.

Anyway the Mother in law decided that she would come as well, but at 75 years old I took pity and booked her into a local B&B - look it was £40 a night on a bank holiday weekend in York, it wasn't going to be the Hilton, it was clean, with friendly owners, and 1/4 mile from the campsite.
She broke down in tears later that evening - we had had a few drinks by this time, apparently I had booked her into a themed hotel - themed by the Adams family. So my eldest came to pick her up from Wigan at 10pm on a Friday bank holiday - not happy.
I must at this point say that the B&B was inspected by my wife and her sister and both said they would have been happy to stay.

We go to York on missionary work - trying to convince Yorkshire people to spend money Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her

Post #322394 27th Apr 2017 9:32 am
ronp

Scotland 

npinks wrote:
Vans not lost loads over the years on what they offered

Don't think I fancy selling it, might just buy a tent as well and have that in a trailer to blast off for quick weekends away or Season pitch it

If you're thinking on having a tent packed up ready in a trailer, have you thought on one of these folding trailer caravans?
That way you get the best [worst] of both worlds. Wink

FL2 now gone and have a couple of items left for sale:-

Brodit active iPhone holder + Brodit dash clip,
Bluetooth Music Streaming Module.

Post #322403 27th Apr 2017 10:43 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>