« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > transfer unit
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
landerthree

United Kingdom 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey
transfer unit

Hi i have just had my FL2 into the dealers for issues and i have just had a phone call telling me the transfer box needs replacing.The car is LR approved so the work will be done under warrenty my question is could there be any problems once they fit the new one and i get the Vehicle back.Is there any software that needs loading into the unitor anything like that ??

Post #338061 27th Dec 2017 6:58 pm
Andy131

United Kingdom 

Front transfer unit is a purely mechanical device - no wires so no programming.
It can actually fail and no faults would be reported - you would get wheel spin as you set off as it leaves you with front wheel drive.
The car is set up as 4 wheel drive, so it engages all 4 wheel s at low speed, if you then have only 2 wheel drive and you set off hard it wheel spins.

relatively easy job, if you are mechanically minded. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #338065 27th Dec 2017 7:49 pm
landerthree

United Kingdom 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

hi thanks for the reply.I took the vehicle in because i thought it was a wheel bearing it turns out its the box thats had it.I have only done 800 miles since i bought it and its a approved vehicle so i think it should have been done before they released it

Post #338071 27th Dec 2017 8:09 pm
austen_fl2

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Stornoway Grey

Nose bearing failure on PTU (front transferbox) is becoming pretty common www.bellengineering.co.uk

Post #338095 28th Dec 2017 12:20 am
RogB

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

My Ewok, which is mechanically the same under the skin as the FL2, had the PTU fail and gave no signs or noticeable symptoms.
It was diagnosed when I had a severe knocking from the nearside rear.

The PTU was replaced under warranty, as the vehicle had been running in 2WD only, but the failure also damaged the splined shaft to the gearbox so it needed a new gearbox too, thankfully under warranty as well.

However the manual gearbox didn't feel right on the changes afterwards and LR advised that the clutch/flywheel needed replacing at £1600 which wasn't covered by warranty, regardless of the consequential failure clause.

Might be worth ensuring they check the gearbox etc as well as changing the PTU.

Post #338402 2nd Jan 2018 8:59 am
Andy131

United Kingdom 

On the auto box the splined input to the transfer box is actually a splined sleeve - this can fail, it is available separately from LR. The gearbox end runs in oil, so in my case was as good as new, the end that couples to the transfer box is open to the elements - yes a splined coupling, with no means of lubrication, is open to the elements. It stripped the splines and ruined the transfer box.

Service exchange transfer box from Austin, coupling and seal from LR and an easy job that can be done on your driveway.

Looking on the Russian Microcat system the coupling part numbers are:
Auto box = LR002746
Manual box up to chassis number AA999999999 = LR002933
Manual box from chassis number AB000001 = LR031662
Ewok = LR031662

A site cheaper than a new gearbox, and a site easier to change - the auto one just pulls out, no circlips nothing, but do remember to replace the seals, you don't want to be doing it again in a few months/days.

Sorry to hear about the clutch/flywheel Sad Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her

Post #338459 2nd Jan 2018 7:09 pm
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

One of my FL2s went in for the rear diff bearing job under extended warranty and when I got it back they had changed the transfer box too. They spun some yarn about LR only being prepared to pay for one of the items to be fixed so they had got the transfer box paid for (over £1700 they said) and that they had done the rear diff bearing as a "goodwill gesture" by the dealer. Sounded a bit unlikely but I was happy either way. 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #338489 3rd Jan 2018 6:04 am
RogB

Andy131 wrote:
On the auto box the splined input to the transfer box is actually a splined sleeve - this can fail, it is available separately from LR. The gearbox end runs in oil, so in my case was as good as new, the end that couples to the transfer box is open to the elements - yes a splined coupling, with no means of lubrication, is open to the elements. It stripped the splines and ruined the transfer box.

Service exchange transfer box from Austin, coupling and seal from LR and an easy job that can be done on your driveway.

Looking on the Russian Microcat system the coupling part numbers are:
Auto box = LR002746
Manual box up to chassis number AA999999999 = LR002933
Manual box from chassis number AB000001 = LR031662
Ewok = LR031662

A site cheaper than a new gearbox, and a site easier to change - the auto one just pulls out, no circlips nothing, but do remember to replace the seals, you don't want to be doing it again in a few months/days.

Sorry to hear about the clutch/flywheel Sad

My Ewok is now long gone (I actually really liked it) and was a manual gearbox, I wasn't sure how the mechanics of PTU/Auto box went. I would like another Ewok in future, but it would be an auto only.

Post #338493 3rd Jan 2018 8:53 am
Andy131

United Kingdom 

Auto Ewok - Censored Censored Censored

Bought 64 plate second hand in March, got rid in November over £8k lost, and I couldn't be happier - I would have given it away. Buy a Disco sport auto, similar drive to the FL2, just more modern. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her

Post #338533 3rd Jan 2018 2:39 pm
RogB

Andy131 - Ive seen some of your troubles with your Ewok. Seems the LR approved is a bit of a gamble depending on which dealer you go to. I certainly wouldn't touch Chesterfield LR ever again that's for sure.

Ive been a great fan of the DS that ive had on loan, just couldn't get used to the driving position, very car like. At least the Ewok wrapped around you while still being higher than other road users. Personal choices I guess but I wont be changing for another year at least anyway.

Post #338537 3rd Jan 2018 3:30 pm
austen_fl2

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Stornoway Grey

Just for your information, the manual box also has a sleeve, just like the auto, it's just a different size of sleeve in the gearbox side. This sleeve also should just pull out by hand once the PTU has been removed. But sometimes can be stuck due to corrosion and wear, trouble is if this is the case the gearbox has to be removed, split and the sleeve cut off, no need for a new gearbox. Occasionally the spline the gearbox strips, not the PTU, but you are very unlucky if that's the case. www.bellengineering.co.uk

Post #338597 4th Jan 2018 12:53 am
RogB

That's what happened with my Evoque Austen.... PTU oil seals failed (probably due to the car being in an accident but not picked up by LR and not initially fixed), then PTU failed and splines stripped resulting in new (recon) PTU/gearbox fitted by LR under warranty. Followed by problems with clutch/flywheel NOT covered by warranty.

Post #338605 4th Jan 2018 9:26 am
BadBuy

France 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Tonga Green

Andy131 wrote:
Auto Ewok - Censored Censored Censored

Bought 64 plate second hand in March, got rid in November over £8k lost, and I couldn't be happier - I would have given it away. Buy a Disco sport auto, similar drive to the FL2, just more modern.

Shocked Wow! I could be writing the same about mine. Bought it last year: rear diff bearing went first fortnight; abs/special functions went after two months and now it sits at a LR dealer unfit to drive after a disasterous recovery truck experience, and diaboloical work at a non-LR garage. I'll be down €8k+ and 'extras'. Worst car buying decision I've made in 40yrs.

Post #338642 4th Jan 2018 6:06 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1