« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Battery replacement
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
nessie287

United Kingdom 
Battery replacement

Hi, I am hoping anyone can help me. I need to replace the battery in my Freelander 2 2.2 Td4(07) and I am trying to figure out how to get it out of the housing. I have googled like mad but cannot find a good enough source to tell me how to do this.
Anyone can point me in the right direction or evenn give me a step by step? Thanks for your help. Thumbs Up

Post #337055 11th Dec 2017 9:48 am
Bobbyg

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 S Manual Indus Silver
Battery removal.

Hi there's a clamp on the left hand side of the battery near the front.i would disconnect the earth first.push it back out of the way.then the positive lead pull it out of the way.then remove the clamp .just lift strait up and out.while you have it out I would fit an extra earth cable from the starter to the earth lead.yes the battery is heavy.
Bob

Post #337057 11th Dec 2017 10:17 am
dondiddy

United Kingdom 2012 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Firenze Red

Remove plastic battery cover then undo the 2 battery cables,negative first then positive and move them out of the way, There is a hold down clamp that needs removed in order to release the battery. The clamp is held in by a long bolt (10mm socket to release)and is near the front of the battery on the L/H side when viewed from the front of the car. It sits a little below the top of the battery and may be a little hard to see. Once that is undone and the clamp lifted away there may be a vent pipe at the front to undo. This just pulls out from the battery and will plug in to the new battery in the same way. Lifting out the battery is a bit awkward as you have to lift it out from it`s home whilst leaning over the wing and you can`t really get over the top of it to get in a good position for lifting. Fitting the new battery is a reverse of removal with the leads being fitted after the battery is clamped in place. Positive lead first then negative. You will have to reset the clock and reset your one touch for the windows and that should be you good to go! Thumbs Up

Post #337058 11th Dec 2017 10:19 am
Steve D

United Kingdom 

Without sounding patronising, if you need to ask how to get your battery out, why not go to Halfords, buy the battery and get them to fit it for you. I think they only charge a fiver or so. Thumbs Up Past: FL2 TD4 HSE Auto
Evoque SD4 Dynamic Lux Auto
Present: Audi A3 S Line.

Post #337060 11th Dec 2017 10:20 am
Dave47

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Izmir Blue

If you remove the air filter housing for access, you'll find two tabs each side of the battery housing, "gently" prise these open and the front will lift away and you can then easily slide the battery out. Thumbs Up
Dave

PS it's in the handbook. Whistle DAVE.
I.A.M. F1rst Driver.
Gone 2003 Discovery TD5 Auto,
Gone 1986 Defender 90 Station Wagon
Gone 1984 Range Rover 3.5 Vogue Manual.
Gone 1970 Series 11A/3 SWB 3.5 V8 Hybrid
Gone 1964 Series 11A LWB Van
Gone 1966 Series 11A SWB Van
Gone 1964 Series 11A LWB Station Wagon,

Post #337061 11th Dec 2017 10:32 am
SYFL2

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Steve D wrote:
Without sounding patronising, if you need to ask how to get your battery out, why not go to Halfords, buy the battery and get them to fit it for you. I think they only charge a fiver or so. Thumbs Up

There isn't a lot I would buy from Halfords Mr. Green Maybe the guy will get some satisfaction out of doing it himself even if it's an easy enough job Thumbs Up

Post #337062 11th Dec 2017 10:58 am
Northcroft

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Zermatt Silver

just a thought, what if the car won't start so he can't get to Halfords . .. . . Rolling with laughter

Post #337065 11th Dec 2017 11:19 am
nessie287

United Kingdom 

Steve D wrote:
Without sounding patronising, if you need to ask how to get your battery out, why not go to Halfords, buy the battery and get them to fit it for you. I think they only charge a fiver or so. Thumbs Up

I wouldn't give Halfords the time of day, never mind a fiver. Also, getting there when your car doesn't start is a bit of a problem.
I thought a forum is for people to share experiences, ask questions and get help with things they would rather do themselves than getting a pro to do it for them.
Thanks guys for your help, I will try and have a go at it and see how I get on. Btw...I am not a guy...although by saying this, I might invite some more slightly patronising comments...lol

Post #337082 11th Dec 2017 4:10 pm
Dave47

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Izmir Blue

Nessie, I changed mine a few days ago, if you follow the hand book you'll find it's easy enough to do, if IRC 10mm socket plus Cross head driver for air hose, as I said move the air filter housing first for better access,
Also be aware of safety issues regarding disconnecting and reconnecting the battery.
Dave Thumbs Up DAVE.
I.A.M. F1rst Driver.
Gone 2003 Discovery TD5 Auto,
Gone 1986 Defender 90 Station Wagon
Gone 1984 Range Rover 3.5 Vogue Manual.
Gone 1970 Series 11A/3 SWB 3.5 V8 Hybrid
Gone 1964 Series 11A LWB Van
Gone 1966 Series 11A SWB Van
Gone 1964 Series 11A LWB Station Wagon,

Post #337086 11th Dec 2017 5:25 pm
Steve D

United Kingdom 

nessie287 wrote:
Steve D wrote:

I wouldn't give Halfords the time of day, never mind a fiver. Also, getting there when your car doesn't start is a bit of a problem.
I thought a forum is for people to share experiences, ask questions and get help with things they would rather do themselves than getting a pro to do it for them....

Just trying to be helpful. Not everyone that comes on a forum wants to get their hands dirty - some do come on here with the question "where can I get a xxxxx fitted etc". I just thought for a fiver or so, the problem could be solved quickly or easily. Apologies if I mis-read you post. A 110 battery is no lightweight to lift in and out of an engine bay as high as a FL2. I’m no weakling and I’m in the motor trade and when I changed the battery on my Evoque last week, I thought I’d given myself another hernia. Other owners said they wouldn’t have attempted it. Assuming you’ve got the tools, are fully aware of the dangers of batteries and are strong enough to lift it in and out of the engine bay without doing any damage to yourself or your vehicle, go ahead, I hope it all works out okay for you. Past: FL2 TD4 HSE Auto
Evoque SD4 Dynamic Lux Auto
Present: Audi A3 S Line.

Post #337097 11th Dec 2017 7:58 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1