« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > My experience changing diesel fuel filter
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
mgwanderer

Belgium 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Indus Silver
My experience changing diesel fuel filter

After running very low on fuel my car began to go into "limp home mode" reduced engine performance but after standing for a couple of hours and driving again it cleared itself so when I asked for help one of the replies was a clogged diesel fuel filter (which sounded logical to me) so I purchased a Bosch unit and asked about changing it. While the message how to change the filter was very good there seemed to be a lot of ideas about bleeding / filling the filter so I thought I would give my method which appears to be successful.

Filter removal was simple and as described but how to fill the filter without special equipment. My choice was to fill a clean 1.5 litre container with new diesel when I next tanked and prior to starting the work I pre-filled the filter with fuel (using a 600 milliliter syringe and plastic tubing) from the tank side input to the filter and when the fuel came out the other side I deemed that to be full. I then swapped filter and started the engine on completion and allowed engine to idle for 10mins. This seems to have been sufficient to eliminate special purging tools.

One problem though was the input line from tank to filter this would not penetrate fully into the filter housing so I removed the quick release assembly from the new and the old filters and swapped the o-ring seals from the old to the new filter, problem solved.
Maybe other people have experienced this????

Thanks and hope this can help others
Clive If it ain't ***ked don't fix it

Post #338640 4th Jan 2018 5:51 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1